PDA

View Full Version : Not Again!!!

muff
06-30-2002, 09:54 PM
I went riding today with my dad, we were talking about how i needed a chain cause the one that the guy put on there was a real cheap one, non o-ring and had tons of side play, and not ten minutes later, my chain breaks, not a real bad thing, but i look up front by the sproket, and there's oil everywhere, my outside piece of casing is broken i had the case guard on, and after the chain broke the top of the case guard got ripped out of the middle piece of casing, we towed it back home and i found out that a new piece is $80 from service honda

but the thing is, the same thing happened last year on my 300, they both have the same cr@ppy design, but on my 300 it wasnt the outer casing that broke, it was the inner case, cost 300 just for the part, and i ended up putting it in myself because the shop had a huge wait and i was going to maine the next week

If you broke a chain has this happen to you?

bigbadbrad
07-01-2002, 08:34 AM
where in maine did you go? i live in maine so i was just wondering. do you come often. it has never happened to me though that gota suck

muff
07-01-2002, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by bigbadbrad
where in maine did you go? i live in maine so i was just wondering. do you come often. it has never happened to me though that gota suck

My parents own 12 acres in Medford, its around 45 min north of Bangor, we usually go riding on the logging trails and last year we found some atv trails but some were pretty rough

we go up for a week or so once every year, we're going to be going up later this summer, i'm not sure when though

what town do you live in, i could check our distance on mapquest?

Wired
07-01-2002, 09:12 AM
invest in a case savor!!! best money you'll ever spend!

muff
07-01-2002, 09:16 AM
i had the stock one on, i was thnking about getting a new chain and case saver last week but i never ordered it, does anyone have that new x-ring chain? or should i just get the regular o-ring?

muff
07-01-2002, 10:04 AM
heres a pic of the damage

oynot400
07-01-2002, 10:26 AM
That is not good! :( You need to invest into a good casesaver and buy a good chain. I buy a new good chain every year, whether I need it or not. It usally needs it. :eek:

MIKE400EX
07-01-2002, 11:10 AM
From that picture, it looks like the upper mount, which is on the inner case, is broken. OUCH! You might have to do some "creative" fabricaing & mounting now. Where in SE CT are you?

muff
07-01-2002, 11:15 AM
I know, i think i'm just going to make an extension on the case guard so i can attach it to a different bolt, i dont really feel like messing with that hole at all

I live in North Stonington, CT, theres a farm that i get to ride on, theres a gravel pit that we ride most of the time in, we also brought some wooden jumps down there, its pretty sweet but right now all of the jumps are torn up from this guy on a rancher with 27" mud tires

bigbadbrad
07-02-2002, 03:30 PM
i live in nortern maine. Aroostook county. i live 4 hours away from bangor i got some family in bangor and some family in dover foxcroft. do you live next to sommers ct. my godfarther lives there. he used to race the hairscrambles there when he was a teen he was preety good to. there are all kinds of trails here when in the sommer are you coming up? you could spend a few days up here. we can literly live at 6:00 am and come back at 8:00p.m and barely ride on the same trails for the whole day.the trails goright up to the resturants, hotels, even a motocross track. does your whole family ride? around here everone has a fouwheeler. you probally have seen that on the highway on the way up and on the small towns. it would be cool if we can get some other exriders from maine(even though you are not) to come and ride for a day or 2. hope you get your ex fixed.

330exracer
07-02-2002, 04:38 PM
my chain broke my case kind of. it doesnt leak but i broke a lil peace of the starter case. thats still sealed. and i brke the mounts for a new case saverso i don' run case saver anymore. so now my case is very subseptable to chains. i have broke a chain lately but no damage occuried