PDA

View Full Version : 06er electrical output for lights???

wildheer
12-24-2005, 05:17 PM
does anyone know the electrical output of the stock 06er? Will it sustain any sort of additional lighting system. I know trailtechs stuff (at least for the older models) says you have to change stators and/or the alternator or it will kill the system if you want to run their light with the stock lights at the same time. It could also affect the fan operation as well. I want to operate my stock headlights fulltime at night and have a helmet light that i can turn on and off when i want the extra light for high speed runs. I would like to stay away from a battry pack. Any suggestions?

kyex40047
12-24-2005, 10:31 PM
I doubt that it would. You could put a relay on your light switch, that wiring system would supprt that, and then hook up your helmet lights to your relay. that way when ever you turn your lights on your helmet lights would come on. Or you just wire a new switch into your battery, and have your light connect into that switch, that way you could control the helmet lights.

wildheer
12-25-2005, 12:05 AM
yes but my question is will the charging system sustain it. i.e. will the extra power use draw too much from the system. I would want it hooked up with a switch independent of the lights either way so i would have the choice of when to use it.

QuadRacer041
12-25-2005, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by wildheer
yes but my question is will the charging system sustain it. i.e. will the extra power use draw too much from the system. I would want it hooked up with a switch independent of the lights either way so i would have the choice of when to use it.

im pretty sure you can run them both at the same time.with newer quads like the 450 you can use HID lights instead on Haelogen. The HID's produce more ligfht and draw less power from the machine. If you fo to trail tech's web site www.trailtech.net and check out the differnt lights it will tell you if you need to upgrade your stator.

XCRACER26
12-25-2005, 12:51 PM
if you run it off the battery, it will be fine but have a seperate switch. My buddy always had baja truck lights on his 400ex. never had any problems.

trailtech
12-30-2005, 09:28 PM
The '06 TRX has good electrical capability. You should have no troubles putting 120 watts of light on the machine. The stockers pull 70 watts. The '04/'05/'06 TRXs are all DC quads, so you can run HIDs without needing stator modifications.