PDA

View Full Version : Head Gasket Issues?

bubbag
12-24-2005, 12:59 PM
Hello,
I blew a head gasket a month ago and cleaned the all the old gasket off and put a new one on. Now the head gasket is leakin a little bit of coolant right above the exhaust side of the cylinder.
What should I do I don't wanna buy a new one and try this again as it is a fairly new gasket?

Help me???

Thanks
Bubba

JTRtrx250r
12-24-2005, 04:36 PM
same thing happened to my last headgasket, dont know which kind it was but it was black and I just couldnt get it to seal, I swapped it out for a Honda (silver) and it sealed right up.

I was getting so frusterated I thought about putting some 1104 sealer on it, I checked to be sure the head was true and all. It took a stock Honda gasket to seal, dunno if thats your prob or not but figured I'd throw it out there...

there 1 other aftermarket head gasket that I had probs w/ but forget which, so far only Cometic and stock Honda headgaskets are the only Ive not had a prob w/

Double check and be sure the surfaces are clean (1lil peice of the old gasket can allow it to leak)

Good Luck;)

Rich250RRacer
12-24-2005, 04:57 PM
Try using ThreeBond 1211, I think it is. I've used this with the stock Honda gasket (just one thin layer) and a cool head, and haven't had any problems.

Eddiesanders250
12-24-2005, 09:55 PM
permatex copper spray. Its a gasket sealer, beerock turned me onto it. :)

Rich250RRacer
12-25-2005, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Eddiesanders250

Which is basically Hi-tach, that will hold the gasket in place, but not fill in any imperfections or voids that coolant can seep through. The Three-bond is made for steel shim head gaskets, even says so right on the tube. And it will seal imperfections and voids.

bubbag
12-25-2005, 11:14 AM
So should I pop the head off and take the other two parts out and get some of that sealer and just use that and the metal part of my gasket that is on there rite now?

Thanks
Bubba

blasterkid
12-25-2005, 11:24 AM
i sold my 250r because i got so fed up with leaky head gaskets haha

bubbag
12-25-2005, 01:37 PM
Yea this sucks.... Bet it could still beat a yfz even with coolant spittin out of the cylinder :D

Rich250RRacer
12-25-2005, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by bubbag
So should I pop the head off and take the other two parts out and get some of that sealer and just use that and the metal part of my gasket that is on there rite now?

Thanks
Bubba

The Three-bond sealer and either the top or bottom piece of the stock gasket should be fine. Just a light coat should seal. If it does not, something must be gouged up pretty good.

Tom TRX250R
12-25-2005, 11:06 PM
Yeah try using a light coat of the Permatex copper spray, after mine leaking a little bit, it fixed the problem perfect and haven't had a problem since!

AtvMxRider
12-26-2005, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Eddiesanders250

It is not a sealer it is bascally used to hold a gasket in place.

weekendracer91
12-26-2005, 12:38 PM
is your head worped

beerock
12-26-2005, 03:21 PM
the permatex copper spray does help SEAL escpecially with the thinner gaskets, anything that needs more then a spray like that.
means your head and cylinder need to be resurfaced. or the gasket being used a crap.

atvmxrider, the head STUDS hold the gasket in place.

most leaks are form improper cleaning of the mating surfaces. if there are gouges in the surafaces yes the three bond will work but i consider that a RIG

if your sick of gaskets, switch to a O-ringed head.

AtvMxRider
12-26-2005, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by beerock
atvmxrider, the head STUDS hold the gasket in place.

I wasn't referring to just head gaskets. The copper spray is nothing but a glue to hold a gasket into place during installation.

beerock
12-26-2005, 03:33 PM
the only gasket i use any kind of sealer/bond is the head gasket, everything else ig sealed by the gasket itself. using sealrer bond on other areas can cause improper mating of surfaces and crap can get inside the motor.

there are tons of people that will tell you to use sealer/bond on other areas of a motor this is not the correct way to build motors. unless there is a MODification where they say to use gasket sealer/bonding agent to help from blow outs. like for instance.

the ford 351w intake gaskets(front and rear of motor) all HI PO shops tell you to use permatex gasket maker(copper or blue) to make your own gasket with JUST the goop. reason being is the ford gaskets blow out and leak.

Just like with the R motor, only problem point is the head gasket(with hi compression and thin gaskets).

using sealer/bond anywhere else on the motor will make motor clean up on rebuild a nightmare and will lessen the life of the mating surfaces because of all the "scraping".

the copper spray is not a glue it helps seal. the proper way to use the spray is to spray on and let dry completely. it "rubberizes" the gaskets making them seal even better. with no bonding issues to worry about on new rebuild IE scraping off. and if you have to scrap off, your nail will take it off very easy.

Rich250RRacer
12-26-2005, 05:59 PM
I was turned on to the Three-bond by Mark Baldwin years ago when I first bought my cool head from him, I used to use the spray sealer too, but he advised against this, and he's built a few good R motors in his time. :D

beerock
12-26-2005, 07:40 PM
ya i talked to him about the gaskets a whie ago and its true the only reason is using the spray can lead to problem if its not sprayed equally on both sides. thats when the copper spray isnt good because it makes the gasket a bit uneven. i dont have that problem.

GOTFEAR
12-26-2005, 10:35 PM
I use 599 ultragray locktight for 12 years i think it works better than spray or three-bond or yahma- bond and use acidtone to clean the surfaces

slick250
12-28-2005, 11:12 PM
The spray on Copper Coat is a very good product. I am 34 years old and have been using this product regularly since I was about 17 with very good success on everything from race cars to quads. It seals up my supercharged 502 Chevy with solid copper head gaskets great. If a person tried this without the coppercoat sealer, it would leak BAD!!!