PDA

View Full Version : building loading ramps...

omaits
12-24-2005, 12:03 PM
Anyone ever make their loading ramps out of wood or anything? I dont feel like dropping $100 on ramps...but then again loading my 400ex into the back of my truck by myself using nothing but muscle is getting old.

If anyone did make any, how did they hold up and how did you do it? Thanks.

standardryder
12-24-2005, 12:16 PM
just get a few 2x8's and then soime 1/8 inch steel, bent the steel to the right angle and screw em together. thats how mine are and it works just fine.

12-24-2005, 12:24 PM
the ones I have are scary as hell to use and **** my truck bed all up. if I had a newer truck theres no way in hell I would use them.

YFZ450Ridr
12-24-2005, 12:26 PM
ive got 2 sets of of home made ramps. ones a set of 2x8 wooden ramps with chicken wire screwed into them for better grip. the other ones my neighbor gave to us. thier aluminum bleecher(sp?) seats and work pretty good, nice and light. but you cant use em when thier wet.

trx400exxracer
12-24-2005, 12:36 PM
my brother bought a kit from the Home Depot and put them on some wood (i am not sure what size) but they have been through many burnouts lol

dopeyferree
12-24-2005, 02:10 PM
Please , go spend $100 on a set of good atv ramps. I have seen so many people get hurt and do more than a $100 in damage to thier atvs because of cheap, un safe loading ramps. Get a good set of arched ramps, in my opinion they are they best. I have seen so many people slip off of cheap ramps and flip backwards.

BLACKeR
12-24-2005, 02:35 PM
Please , go spend $100 on a set of good atv ramps. I have seen so many people get hurt and do more than a $100 in damage to thier atvs because of cheap, un safe loading ramps. Get a good set of arched ramps, in my opinion they are they best. I have seen so many people slip off of cheap ramps and flip backwards.

know a lot of dump people huh? LMAO

take a sheet of 5/8in plywood, and 4 2x4 's rip the 2x4's in half. and split the piece of plywood in half or cut of two 1ft wide lengths. then screw the split 2x4' onto the edge of the ply, one top, and one botton that way there is a rail along the edge. dont skimp on the screws. if 2x4's make you nervous use some 2x6's a 400ex isnt that heavy. total cost under 40$ i have a set pf ramps just like this that i use. if you use 2x4's you can stack the ramps on top of each other and slide them under your quad too. so you can fit them in a pick up bed easily. i never drive my quad up ramps though. i always push it. so that is a lot safer.

dopeyferree
12-24-2005, 02:44 PM
Some may be dumb but you cant put a price on safety, Most people I know wear helmets when riding but honestly, think of how many people you see who just hop on thier atv to load it into the truck or to unload it.

omaits
12-24-2005, 02:47 PM
Based on what I read here, I think I will just buy some. My luck, they woudl break and do hundreds of damage to my truck. $40 for supplies to make my ramps +time or $100 to just buy them...I think I will buy them.

JOEX
12-24-2005, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by omaits
Based on what I read here, I think I will just buy some. My luck, they woudl break and do hundreds of damage to my truck. $40 for supplies to make my ramps +time or $100 to just buy them...I think I will buy them.
Good choice :)

Buy the longest ones you can afford;)

TheFontMaster
12-24-2005, 10:15 PM
4 or 5 years ago my dad bought 2 2x6x8's, and he found these metal things that bolted to the tops of the 2x6's, and had a nice lip on it where they would sit flush on the bed, and hey have rubber things on the bottom so they don't slide off as easily. The only problem is the boards have warped over the years, but I've never had a problem with them, I just push the quad up and down the ramps.

YFZ450Ridr
12-24-2005, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster
I just push the quad up and down the ramps.

same.. its almost easier at times and alot more safe. my uncle has a nice set of aluminum bi-folds that work very nice and werent to much $$$