PDA

View Full Version : Everytime?

rooster300ex
12-24-2005, 06:26 AM
Everytime I clean my K&N filter my jetting starts acting up, not as much throttle response when warm. I have a dynojet 128,no airbox lid. What do ya'll think i need to do to fix this problem.

When i goose it hard through the gears fast, it makes a dead bwaap just for a second until its WFO. It runs alright, except for this problem. it doens't cause me to not have fun and ride but i like more throttle response, it just needs to be finely tuned. what do yall think. The warmer it gets the worst it gets.

Pappy
12-24-2005, 06:50 AM
try putting a little bit less oil on the filter

nakomis0
12-24-2005, 07:09 AM
does it get better as you ride?

Counds like to rich if it gets worst when hotter, maybe drop a main jet size.

mine also runs a tad slow when I clean the K&N, but thats because I dont wait till its dry, I literially spray it and start riding like 10 minutes later so its running rich until it dries

rooster300ex
12-24-2005, 07:50 AM
I'll try putting less oil on the filter, but i used the spray can oil and i just put enough, i didn't over oil it at all.

partyboy300ex
12-24-2005, 09:04 PM
on my old 300 that was simmialr to yours i have a 135 jet in it and it ran good and fine when ever

RRP
12-25-2005, 06:38 AM
if you still have your lid try running with it on.I have mine jetted just like your's with a k&n.It seemed to run better with the lid on even though it was supposed to be jetted to run with it off

rooster300ex
12-26-2005, 03:44 PM
Gets worse when i put my lid on i've tried everything. i guess drop a main jet size. the kit did say to use the 128 with a good exhaust, i guess cobra wouldn't fit in that catagory.

rooster300ex
12-27-2005, 12:37 AM
bump

TacomaNC4X4
12-27-2005, 09:47 PM
my 400 does the same thing. when i am in 1st just barly moving and i nail the throttle it will cut out untill i let off alittle. im gettin ready to get it bored and im gonna have the guy look at it and find out what it is. when i find out for sure what is makin it do i i will let you know if you cant figure it out.

rooster300ex
12-28-2005, 08:13 AM
Alright, but the only time my cuts out is when i'm barely on the throttle just putting, thats not a problem really because i don't putt to much. Its weird when i first start my quad it has a real crisp throttle response, when it warms up throttle response sucks. its driving me crazy. if it wasn't such a pain to take the carb off everytime i'd probably have it figured out.

bwamos
12-28-2005, 08:32 AM
How long do you wait before you ride with the fresh filter.

You probably just aren't letting it sit long enough for the oil to tack up and set on the filter. It will be a little more restricted and you may even get some residiual oil sucked through the carb making it feel rich.

I pre-clean and oil about 3 filters and store them in their boxes, so I can swap them out at will, especially when visiting the dunes.

I would imagine you're just running the filter within 30 minutes of cleaning and oiling it.

with a pipe, filter, stock cam, and no airbox lid at approx 1000ft your 128 dynojet should be pretty much perfect.

bwamos
12-28-2005, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by rooster300ex
Alright, but the only time my cuts out is when i'm barely on the throttle just putting, thats not a problem really because i don't putt to much. Its weird when i first start my quad it has a real crisp throttle response, when it warms up throttle response sucks. its driving me crazy. if it wasn't such a pain to take the carb off everytime i'd probably have it figured out.

Ahh this isn't your filter. This is your slow jetting. You engine runs leaner when it's cold and then richens up as it warms up. Due to the engine temperature being hotter after it's warmed up it heats up the air, which expands it, so you don get as much air inside. Cooler at startup so you get more in. That's why you have to choke a cold engine (less air).

This is assuming it is bogging (really it's loading up, but we'll call it a bog) between idle and 1/4 throttle, turn your air screw out a 1/2 turn.

If it's bogging between 1/4-1/2 throttle you'll actually need to richen it up by raising the needle (dropping the clip 1 spot below the stock position). It would be sputtering if it's too rich here.

Another common issue to look for is the accelerator pump arm. Take off the black plastic side cover and make sure the activator arm didn't slip off of the accelerator pump needle. It happens a lot. They didn't manufacture the fit of this well, and it's always borderline slipping off. I've had it happen probably 4 times in the 6 years I've owned my 300ex.

rooster300ex
12-29-2005, 01:18 PM
What did your 300ex do when the acc pump wasn't working, and what does the acc pump acutally do.