PDA

View Full Version : rad-loc axle nut installation.

kyleschonert
12-23-2005, 04:54 PM
do you have anypics., and what is the easiest/quickest way to do it. its on my 300 btw. but any honda model will work.

NacsMXer
12-23-2005, 05:19 PM
It's pretty simple, I have one on my 400 but i'm sure the 300 is the same. First, remove the POS stock axle nut if you already haven't. Remove the big C-clip from the groove in the axle. Then take the threaded sleeve portion of the RAD loc nut and slide it onto the axle so it bumps up against the brake rotor. Then take the actual RAD loc nut and start threading it onto the sleeve by hand until it is far enough away from the c-clip groove so you will be able to get it in there.

Then slide the little gold ring-looking dealie that came with the RAD loc nut onto the axle with the flat side against the RAD loc nut and the "cupped" side towards the c-clip groove. Reinstall the c-clip into the groove and start backing off the RAD loc nut until it starts putting pressure against the ring and the c-clip. Tighten as hard as you can by hand so that the RAD loc nut is jammed against that c-clip.

Then, for more leverage, grab a shop rag or a leather glove and wrap it around the RAD loc nut and tighten it even more as hard as you can. This is sufficiently tight, you do not need to use a wrench because of the pinch bolts, and you shouldn't use a wrench because it will strip the aluminum threads of the RAD loc nut and sleeve if you overtighten. Finish by tightening the pinch bolts with an allen key and you're done! I tightened mine by hand one time, and have never had to retighten it. $30 well spent ;) :D

kyleschonert
12-23-2005, 05:26 PM
any pics. of how it should look? i dont think i have mine on there right.

NacsMXer
12-23-2005, 05:31 PM
Sorry, I don't have any pics. If you follow my instructions word for word, you won't screw it up. What doesn't look right about how you have it now?

For your 300ex, the RAD loc comes with 3 pieces: RAD loc nut, threaded sleeve, and the circular gold ring correct? I'm asking this because I don't know if the 300 has a different setup. If you have more than those 3 pieces, let me know.

kyleschonert
12-23-2005, 05:35 PM
mine didnt come with the threaded sleeve. i have to use the stocker with mine.

NacsMXer
12-23-2005, 05:56 PM
Ok, shouldn't be a problem then. What exactly are you having difficulty with? From the brake rotor to the right it goes: threaded sleeve, RAD loc nut, gold ring, then c-clip. That's all you have to deal with.

kyleschonert
12-24-2005, 04:47 PM
alrighty. well, i got that on. And what do i need to do about the sprocket hub? Ive got the c-clip in there and have it on there the right way, but i cant fit it over the c-clip right. Do i need to just force it over it, or when i tighten the lock nut all the way will it push the hub over the c-clip?

NacsMXer
12-25-2005, 07:27 PM
What do you mean about the sprocket hub? On my 400, the sprocket hub is stationary; it has a c-clip to retain it on the left side of the axle. However on the right side of the swingarm, that is the c-clip you need to remove in order to remove the axle or axle nut.

Please inform me because I am not familiar with the 300ex setup. Do you need to remove the sprocket hub and its own c-clip and the axle slides out to the right of the swingarm, or is it like a 400EX where the sprocket hub stays on there and the axle slides out from the left side of the swingarm?

I think something is different between the two quads because you are still having difficulty. When you say, "i cant fit it over the c-clip right", what is "it"?

On the 400EX, the only c-clip and everything else you deal with is on the right side of the swingarm; the sprocket hub doesn't even come into the picture at all since it's on the left side.

So you slide that threaded sleeve on the right side of the axle first, then thread on the nut far enough so it will clear the c-clip groove, then slide on the gold ring, then install the c-clip, then back off the axle nut so it starts to bump up against that c-clip.

If that doesn't work for you, then the two quads are definitely different. I would suggest posting this in the 300ex forum for a little more insight.

kyleschonert
12-26-2005, 06:33 AM
my dad ended up getting it on when i was at work. It was apparently right the whole time. (theway the sprocket hub is on there) i just thought it was supposed to go on there and totally cover the c-clip. but you could still see a little of it. but thanks for all your help.

kyleschonert
12-26-2005, 04:37 PM
apparently he didnt get it. The sprocket hub has WAY to much play in it. The hub is not over the c-clip as you can see in the attacthed picture. What do I need to do to get it on???

NacsMXer
12-26-2005, 05:53 PM
From that pic the sprocket hub looks normal. The sprocket hub doesn't actually cover the c-clip all the way. You should still be able to see about half of the c-clip for the sprocket when everything's tight. Also, what type of play does the sprocket have? Is it forward to back or side to side? If it's forward to back play, then the splines on the axle are worn. If it's side to side, then the axle nut is not tightened enough. I know that I had some sprocket play in my axle from side to side and I just tightened the axle nut more which took care of that. I'll try to get some pics for you of my quad on both sides to show you how mine looks :)

kyleschonert
12-26-2005, 06:08 PM
its side to side play. and its barely there now b/c we tightned the axle nut. But now, where the shock goes into the swingarm, when you lift up on the back grab bar, and their is no pressure on the spring, there is play between the swingarm and shock. Like the bolt is not big enough, but the bolt came with this shock, and we bought the shock and swingarm from the same guy. So is it supposed to be like this or what? it feels that if the landing of a big jump it could break the bolt in half. There is a bushing in there and everything. But thanks for all of your help man.

kyleschonert
12-26-2005, 06:08 PM
its side to side play. and its barely there now b/c we tightned the axle nut. But now, where the shock goes into the swingarm, when you lift up on the back grab bar, and their is no pressure on the spring, there is play between the swingarm and shock. Like the bolt is not big enough, but the bolt came with this shock, and we bought the shock and swingarm from the same guy. So is it supposed to be like this or what? it feels that if the landing of a big jump it could break the bolt in half. There is a bushing in there and everything. But thanks for all of your help man.

NacsMXer
12-26-2005, 06:27 PM
That sucks, one thing after another huh :ermm: I guess it's better to find these things now then later on when you're riding. I would replace that bolt and bushing just to be sure. Any play that is in there now is just going to become worse from all the movement over time. The 300EX has a swingarm with a link right? So the shock is moving on the link or the link is moving where it connects to the swinger? I know theres little brass bushings on mine, so I would start by replacing those and the bolt.

kyleschonert
12-26-2005, 06:39 PM
no linkage. it goes straight to the swinger. Im just gonna run out to Rural King tom. and pick up a bigger bolt and see what that does. And yea. One thing after another, its a neverending adv. And i was planning on goin riding tom. b/c i dont have to work. But no, somehting else just has to go wrong.

NacsMXer
12-27-2005, 04:00 PM
Here's a couple pics of the sprocket side and axle nut side to show you how the c-clips on both sides are sort of half-way exposed, this is normal like I said.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid198/p2427774e167bb87bead6f5aa359f3834/f0e2c2ea.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid198/p6b64b4101fbe51e054d5669adf666997/f0e2c1be.jpg

kyleschonert
12-27-2005, 09:31 PM
thanks a bunch. thats how mine looks. there is a tiny bit of play, but barely any at all and i rode it today and it help up great. thanks for all of your help, i really appreciate it.