PDA

View Full Version : Wisp!!!=Rocks!!!

12gofast
06-30-2002, 07:58 PM
Wisp=Rocks!!! you can interpret that in many ways,,,It rocks as in it was an awesome race.
or whoa there must have been one heck of a glacier come through there to push that many rocks to the top of the mountain.

I punctured a sidewall on left front b4 the first checkpoint on the first lap but kept running and did 4 laps in the vet class...

I WANT TO THANK AC RACING FOR PROVIDING ME WITH SOME AWESOME SKID PLATES...THEY ARE THE ONLY THING THAT KEPT ME BOUNCING OVER THOSE ROCKS WITH THAT FLAT!!!
I went aand watched the bikes today...it was a **** of a pro race and on the last lap Jason Raines was hammer down in 2nd going for the lead then he launched himself into the trees coming up out of the woods right under the ski lift right b4 the big uphill and he got hurt pretty bad.

They also nicknamed the real rocky uphill in the middle of the course the BONEYARD!!!

12gofast
06-30-2002, 08:02 PM
Also if you didnt hear Chad Duvall and Greg Trew led most of the race....these are pro production riders on 400EXs!!!!!!!!!!!

They fell back on the last lap with flats.

cdalejef
06-30-2002, 08:10 PM
Sounds like you hit the same rock I did...about 2 miles in with my left front tire. It went about half way down and stayed there until the begining of the third lap. After the first check the outer bead came off the rim and I had a h*** of a time finishing that lap to get back to the pits. That lap I dropped from 1st to 6th. I changed the flat going in to the fourth lap (special thanks to the guy that pitted next to us for the loaner spare) and pored it on to make up some positions I had lost.
I followed Chad and Greg for most of the last lap. Greg got his rear flat about half way through I got by him and followed Chad for a while until he got stuck in the one real bad rock section about a mile before you came back out to the slopes before the finish. I didn't see a flat tire at that point but that may be why he got stuck. I ended up passing 2 people in my class and finishing 4th.
I want to think PRM for saving my under carrige! You could have made a fortune if you picked up all the skid plates on the trail!

I think over half the people in the race got flats at one point in the race!:grr

12gofast
06-30-2002, 08:20 PM
yea I run ITPs and I think it is a good tire....the tread surface seems super strong with the 4 ply fronts....but the sidewalls must be pretty thin cause it doesnt take a lot to puncture them.

I flattened the tire on the first lap b4 the 1st checkpoint...I heard the air come out and I figured I just flexed it off the bead, so I aired it up the first time through the pits and it was flat again by the time I came down the grassy downhill!!!

I stopped in the pro pits one lap and some of those guys helped me out trying to get a plug for it...but no luck....BUT THANX ANYWAY TO WHOEVER THEY WERE!!!

Did you see all the broken axles on the last lap!!

cdalejef
06-30-2002, 08:23 PM
I run the XCT's mine just got pushed off the bead. I will have bead lock for the next race! I didn't see any broken axles, must have been Dura Blue's!:D

06-30-2002, 08:31 PM
Pro production rider jared Huffman pit next to me with my friends and he had five flats.

12gofast
06-30-2002, 08:36 PM
That sux....my partner in this gncc craziness had a flat sittin on the grid!...he looked down and saw a nail in his front...and this was a brand new set of XCs...he got it plugged b4 they gave us the green, but then flattened a tire again on the first lap and had the swingarm bolt back out!

Front tires are the only spares we didnt bring! AAHHHHH!!!!!

cdalejef
06-30-2002, 08:41 PM
What class was he in? For some reason they waited 2 minutes to start us after the 4-stroke mod class took off.
We brought the little trailer because of the long drive, needless to say I left all my spares in the big trailer!:grr

06-30-2002, 08:46 PM
I am not sure why they waited but when we got into the woods there were several 250 A guys still hung up and that made it bad for us. I went from about 6th to last in the first bottle neck.

250rmike
06-30-2002, 08:49 PM
yea i had blackwaters and got a flat. that was a great uphill i passed so many people on it. i mad 3 different trails going up it. i went around a bunch of stuck people the first time then the next 2 times it was so rocky i didnt wanna risk my tires anymore. i was luckly able to patch my sidewall and finish the race. ohh yea i had to beat my dads rim straight too. i was running in 4 in my class when i had to pull off by the afternoon riders coming up to the finish to get some air. then i had to back track to my truck to patch it then back around the track to the finish. total it prolly took me 20-25 min but hey i still ended up 9th out of 18 people in my first ever race so im happy.

cdalejef
06-30-2002, 08:49 PM
What class were you in GNCCer?

12gofast
06-30-2002, 08:51 PM
we both run vet class

06-30-2002, 08:52 PM
I race 4 stroke mod the white one red frame lined up rite in the middle between Cecco and Foltz.

cdalejef
06-30-2002, 08:53 PM
Oh...I think you all (vets) started right behind us.

cdalejef
06-30-2002, 08:58 PM
GNCCer, that may be why they held up our row! How did you do?

06-30-2002, 09:04 PM
15th after a couple of long pit stops no rear breaks and a slipping clutch. Oddly enough none of my problems had to do with the rocks. I am still in the top ten in my class in points so i am happy with that this will just be anough throw away. how did you finish?

cdalejef
06-30-2002, 09:13 PM
4th...check my story a few posts back. I can still win the series tho because the points leader DNFed. I missed the first 4 races so there goes all my throw aways. I have three 1st, one 4th and one 14th.

250rmike
06-30-2002, 09:57 PM
that sucks not to have brakes on a track like that. i was following a guy on a 400 whos rear antifade nut snaped and hit rotor was just sliding back and forth on his axle and his caliper was gone with his line just sitting there. jeff and gnccer good luck in the series also are there always that many broken quads on the track a gncc's?

cdalejef
06-30-2002, 10:12 PM
I saw that guy with no caliper, he lost his skid too. Thanks for the good luck! That was a very unusual race, I have never seen that many flats and broken quads...except maybe Blackwater!

250rmike
07-01-2002, 08:46 AM
yea he had no skidplate either. where was the blackwater? i was sadly not old enough to even know a bout i heard it was great though.

cdalejef
07-01-2002, 09:23 AM
It was in Davis, WV. It was kinda like the infield at the Indy 500! 40,000 naked spectators!:D :D :D

07-01-2002, 09:52 AM
i would have loved to go to blackwater I am like 250rmike i am not old enough to know it was even going on. This is only the third year i even knew that people raced quads.

cdalejef
07-01-2002, 11:13 AM
lol!!!

Wingnut
07-01-2002, 06:09 PM
I had a tough time as well. My class, first year racers, starts behind the 4-stroke C. Needless to say, there were countless bottle necks. I was third off the line, but I lost about three positions at the first place where we went into the woods, and also encountered the first bottle neck. In all there were three major bottlenecks in the first lap. The three of them together cost me almost ten minutes. In the second lap, on the rocky hill that was at the 7 mile marker, I lost my skid plate. At first I thought that it vibrated loose, but after cleaning up the 400, I found that all the bolts holding it on broke. While stuck on that hill, I lost three to five more minutes which dropped me back to ninth. In the third lap, I was able to pass back three of the guys in my class. When I cought up with one of them I saw what looked like a reinforceing ring that had come loose from his wheel and was rolling back and forth on his axle. As I got closer I saw that it was really his brake disk. He had also lost his skid plate. This really scared me because I did not want the same thing to happen to me.

I only ran three laps. I do not remember letting the leader by me, and nobody passed me on the third lap. All I can figure is that I got passed when I got stuck on that hill on the second lap.

I don't know how many of you saw that hill but it was cut out of the track by the start of the PM ATV race.

I can't wait to go back!

250rmike
07-01-2002, 09:31 PM
i had to go up that hill also. it was a pain even with the 4x4 by the end. I was running 4th in my class when i cam down the hill out of the woods where you had the sharp right into the woods but a rider in front of me took out the line tape so i kept going down the hill until i saw people coming out of the woods i had to swing it around go back up and make up some time. i was running good in my 1st race of anykind until i slit my sidewall but i got that patched and got back on the course but then i was gaining on the leaders and i was going down that really steep rocky downhill and almost flipped the quad. i didnt want 650 pounds rolling on me down a hill so i reached out and grabbed a tree to push me back and i screwed up my wrist and hand. i could barely ride but i made myself finish the race. but hey i would rather hurt my hand then go out on a stretcher or a bag. but all in all i had fun and i still got 9th and 143 overall out of 230 riders witch isnt bad for a first race i dont think.

12gofast
07-02-2002, 01:31 PM
Why did you run a utility quad when you have a 250r??????

Pappy
07-02-2002, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
It was in Davis, WV. It was kinda like the infield at the Indy 500! 40,000 naked spectators!:D :D :D

heheheh...i got my first view of some hooters at that race!!lol!!
hey jeff....u remember the highway 93 water/hill crossing? (might be hwy 91...was along time ago)

cdalejef
07-02-2002, 02:49 PM
Oh yes.....you came up to the creek crossing and there were probally 10,000 people standing in the creek just waiting to splash you as you crossed! Then you had to shoot up a vetical clay bank that was about 15 feet high and slick as snot.

Teufel
07-02-2002, 02:59 PM
Damn, I miss the Blackwater ........the Blackwater 100 was the Grandfather of the GNCC series that race is where it all started. Wisp was compareable but still a far cry from the Blackwater......Hardrock was also compareable.

cdalejef
07-02-2002, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Teufel
Damn, I miss the Blackwater ........the Blackwater 100 was the Grandfather of the GNCC series that race is where it all started. Wisp was compareable but still a far cry from the Blackwater......Hardrock was also compareable. I agree! I think if they keep going to this place it could be right up there with Hardrock! I love the town and the atmosphere.

250rmike
07-02-2002, 07:45 PM
i raced utility calss instead of my r because i am settign my r up for mx and i didnt want to try to get around that course on 18in 2 ply tires i also wanted my dads 4x4 incase i needed it which cause of the hills i did. I also like the smoother ride of the sportsman over the solid axle in rocks.

250rmike
07-02-2002, 08:15 PM
i raced utility calss instead of my r because i am settign my r up for mx and i didnt want to try to get around that course on 18in 2 ply tires i also wanted my dads 4x4 incase i needed it which cause of the hills i did. I also like the smoother ride of the sportsman over the solid axle in rocks.

GNCC#829
07-05-2002, 05:28 PM
Hey Wingnut!
I don't know how to do a quote yet, but you said you were third off the line in the First Year Racer class. Did you see the guy wreck right in front of you at the start? That was me!! I am not for sure what happened, but I ended up getting going again in Last Place. That must have been the motivation that I needed because I was second by the end of the first lap, and I ended up winning the class by over five minutes. I guess it is time to move up to the C class in Millfield.

Wingnut
07-06-2002, 06:22 AM
That was a great wreck! I did not see it in person, but I have it on video!

I just looked at your results from previous races, you're about as consistent as I am!:D