PDA

View Full Version : keyless kill switch on an ER

RAFFERTY NEWMAN
12-23-2005, 10:04 AM
hi
can anyone tell me if they have done away with there ignition switch on a 450er yet if so i no they procedure on a kick start with the wiring but not sure on an ER as you still have the neutral light on and starter button working even tough you can kill the spark,
what i mean is can you rig it up so that basically the kill switch controls your ignition so when you plug the kill switch in you have power to your neutral ight and starter button etc but when you pull the killswitch it turns of your power as well.

any help will really me out cos this is giving me a headache now.

QuadRacer041
12-23-2005, 01:31 PM
it can NOT be done because you need the key to juice the battery on e start models.

450rrider69
12-23-2005, 05:27 PM
wanna_be_ridn did away with his.

QuadRacer041
12-23-2005, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by 450rrider69
wanna_be_ridn did away with his.

that would be a neat trick. id like to hear how.

450rrider69
12-23-2005, 07:09 PM
pm him and ask him.

jiffers
12-24-2005, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by RAFFERTY NEWMAN
hi
can anyone tell me if they have done away with there ignition switch on a 450er yet if so i no they procedure on a kick start with the wiring but not sure on an ER as you still have the neutral light on and starter button working even tough you can kill the spark,
what i mean is can you rig it up so that basically the kill switch controls your ignition so when you plug the kill switch in you have power to your neutral ight and starter button etc but when you pull the killswitch it turns of your power as well.

any help will really me out cos this is giving me a headache now.

i heared you had brought a new bike did you not ride it at matchams with smx a couple of weeks ago?
i'm doing this with the ex at the momment using a 5 pin relay the only problem is over a period of time i think the battery might go flat so may have to disconnect the batt if leaving for a month or so let me know if you want to go this route and i will fax you a diagram

jiffers

kyex40047
12-24-2005, 10:46 PM
when you say kill switch do you mean teather cord or the kill button that is on your lights. If you are talking about yur teather cord, then no. I works opposite of what you need. When the cord is plugged in it blocks community to two wires, but when it is pulled it joins them together. Unless you make up your own teather cord system it will not work.

QuadRacer041
12-25-2005, 04:24 AM
i dont see the big deal, its not thike the key weigh's alot or takes up alot of room...:confused:

the predator
12-25-2005, 08:45 AM
will the head light still work of you remove key switch and replace with killswitch? this is for an 05?

don't mean to hi-jack but it's kinda the same subject ;)

Brit Mansell
12-25-2005, 10:17 AM
Some type of switch is required to break the battery circuit. If you remove the key, you'll need to add in some other type of switch or the circuit will stay "juiced" at all times (i.e. your neutral and oil temp lights will stay lit). This will eventually drain your battery, even if you remove the lights previously mentioned.

I left the key on mine. It's also a nice security feature when you just want to walk away from your quad at a race or something. It's not going to stop theft, but it will slow them down.

.brit

tpg69
12-25-2005, 10:23 AM
I mounted the key (06) on the right side under the tank. I made a aluminum bracket that bolts to the gas tank/ft fender mount.It is out of the way and hardly noticable.