PDA

View Full Version : Big Oops?Help ASAP!

ImWhite
12-23-2005, 08:35 AM
ok i changed my oil a couple days ago and when i put the cover back over my filter i tightened one of the bolts too much.(oops)..i think i stripped the bolt but i didnt have time to run and get a new 1...so i put it back in as tight as i could....this morning when i go and start my quad i noticed the bolt was gone!i looked in the hole and seen half of the bolt that broke off....its stuck in there,any suggestions to get it out?any precautions i should take on not messing anything up too bad?and am i screwed if i stripped the threads on the motor and not only the bolt?its still holding oil in but im scared to ride it....god im a dumbass,thanks for all of yur help....

IRONMIKE113
12-23-2005, 08:55 AM
hey man you can get a bolt extractor aka easy out u can get from like a home depot or lowes they will kno what ur talking about if not one the other will work :)

Joe400ex
12-23-2005, 09:03 AM
dont sweat it. I did that once in the summer time . Over tightened the bolt and it broke off in side:)

xx3003xrdrxx
12-23-2005, 09:52 AM
i broke 2 bolts off at once doing that cuz i was really pissed off and in a big hury , so i said the hell with it and flipped that stupid hunk a **** over on the side and left it lay there till i got home and had patience . lol ,, ( my beater quad 300ex )

ImWhite
12-23-2005, 05:20 PM
haha thanks guys,so did every1 use the easyout stuff?how does it work,i think im gonna opick some up tomorow,would 2nite but i have a keg party to attend haha...thanks again

Hondacrf15
12-23-2005, 05:52 PM
iIdid the same exact thing with my old 400 ex. Learned my leason however. No need to use the gorilla muscles on those oil filter cover bolts!!!!

Sears, Lowe's, and Home Depot all sell an "easy out" kit. It is smply a type of drill bit that will "grab" the broke bolt shaft, and will back it out. I got mine at Sears and have used it several times. The directions that came with the set will tell you how to use it. I believe you get 3-5 bits and they sell for about $20.00 You do have to use a drill ....and I would use it on slow speed to back out the bolt shaft. Good luck. Just write this off as LEARNING.:p

250xridamatt
12-23-2005, 06:25 PM
I did the same thing to mine a few months ago. It just snapped into two. It was way in there, so we couldnt just drill it out. I ended up taking the case off and I could see the tiny part of the bolt there. We didnt even need to drill it out. We could unscrew it with our thumb.