Honda_exrider
12-22-2005, 10:14 PM
what is pre-loading and how do u do it. can you do it on stock suspensioon

trx400exxracer
12-22-2005, 10:20 PM
I replied in the steering and suspension section wasn't that you I replied to

Honda_exrider
12-22-2005, 10:23 PM
yea but you didn't say what preloadin is what the heack is it.

trx400exxracer
12-22-2005, 10:31 PM
I think it is a setting on your suspension where it allows your suspension to soak up the clearance in a different way but your stock shocks are useless believe me you will notice your travel better on my opinion in the other section you will have to ask the 450r guys how you do it if you get the 400ex a-arms and 450r shocks

BLACKeR
12-23-2005, 06:26 AM
you might have your terms goofed up...pre-loading is compressing your suspention before you go off a jump so as you start to leave the jump the suspention springs up, giving you more height/distance. pre-load is basically your ride height adjustment. youll see aftermarket shocks that have a small spring on the top of the shock that compresses under the weight of the quad and rider. on your 300ex you can adjust your pre-load with the notched turn thingey on the top of the shocks. lowering it all the way, will lower your ride height by compressing the spring a bit.

Honda_exrider
12-23-2005, 07:36 PM
can you use something like a monkey wrench to turn it with or do you have to buy a special wrench to do it with. Can you do adjust it with the stock shocks

ill_lil_romey
12-23-2005, 08:59 PM
I use a big pair of pliers to adjust mine, but you can buy the tool from any shock manufacturer or bike shop cheap.

12-24-2005, 08:56 PM
if u can bunny hop on a pedal bike thats pritty much what u do at the lip of the jump.

CannondaleRider
12-24-2005, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by blue450yo
if u can bunny hop on a pedal bike thats pritty much what u do at the lip of the jump.

No, not really.....

Pre-loading is on the face of a jump. As your coming up the face, your basically shoving your suspension down as far as you can. You have to time it where your suspension doesn't rebound until after you leave the face.

What this is doing, is making it so your suspension doesn't try to absorb the jump, and it'll shoot you up higher then normal.