PDA

View Full Version : Bearing Carrier

2001300exguy
12-22-2005, 08:26 PM
My loc nut came loose and im almost positive the bearings are shot cause water was dripping from the carrier, more like pouring, and the axle was movign about 1/2 inch side to side. do i have to replace the whole carrier or can i just replace the bearings and seals. also what brand would you recommend. thanks

rYan01400EX
12-23-2005, 01:12 PM
I just replaced mine..

I bought Pivot Works bearings from my local honda shop for 52 smackers. You can get by with just bearings unless the carrier is cracked or something.. When you take your old bearings out, it will be a pain. You might get one race stuck to one side which in turn can be cut out with a dremel. But just take your old bearings out and there's a sleeve in the middle... Pull it out and clean it up with a wire brush and then some sand paper.... then put your new bearing in on one side (Remember, put ALOT of grease in there aswell.) When you get the first bearing and seal in, put ALOT of grease around the sleeve. Don't slack any with the grease. Then put your sleeve in ( DO NOT FORGET THE SLEEVE. ) Then when you get the sleeve in, put your other side bearing and seal in...

Tip when cutting the bearing race : Cut it twice about an inch apart and pry on it with a screwdriver.. It will break right out.

Also, I don't know if it is needed or not but I did it just for safety. I put a little bit of grease on the axle where it sits inside the carrier...

I have had no troubles out of these bearings and would recommend them!

Hope this helped you!

Ryan

2001300exguy
12-23-2005, 01:31 PM
did you order the pivot works atv rear axle bearing kit of rocky mountain and did it come withjust bearing or the dust seals and o rings to

2001300exguy
12-23-2005, 02:09 PM
???

rYan01400EX
12-24-2005, 08:43 AM
The kit I ordered had just the bearings, dust seals, and o-rings... I did NOT get it off Rocky Mountain ATV. I got it at the local Honda shop.

2001300exguy
12-24-2005, 10:08 AM
ok my bad i didnt read your post close enough

bansheemorphine
12-24-2005, 11:53 AM
tighten your locknut up get on the bike stand up and rock easily back and forth if u feel the bike moving but the wheels not then you need axle bearings unless there is metal shaving coming out of the carrier ten u don'tneed a new carrier and as for the bearing just get te bearings and sut seal form your dealer all balls sells a decently priced kit and as for one being better then another that's bs cause if there is dirt and water getting into the bearing it doesn't matter weather u buy a 100 dollar bear or a 10 cent bearing they will both last just as long

400exr
12-24-2005, 12:59 PM
If you do go and replace your bearings, make sure to replace the seals too. When taking out the old seals you will damage them no matter how you do it. As for take the bearings out, first pop out your old seals, then just stick your bearing carrier in your cooking oven at 350F for a while. Take it out, turn it upside down and tap the carrier against a piece of wood. If the carrier is warm enough the bearings should fall right out. While your doing this put your new bearings in the freezer for a while and by the time you have your old ones out the new ones should slide right into the hot carrier. The way this works is that aluminum expands much quicker than steel, therefore allowing a size difference to happen. Let everything cool to normal temp and reinstall. Make sure to use lots of water resistant grease! Good luck.

Steven

400exc
12-24-2005, 01:25 PM
you also want to look at the carrier to see if it is worn down where the bearings were. If you do see this, you want to replace the carrier as well

2001300exguy
01-07-2006, 02:28 PM
how long should the carrier stay in the oven at 350??????

2001300exguy
01-07-2006, 02:40 PM
comeon guys i need a real quick reply i need to get this thing back together b4 tomorow

dirtdigger71
01-07-2006, 04:34 PM
for a good deal on axle bearings & seals get on ebay and a seller named racergirlsrock sells kits for $21.00 shipped.they hold up just as good as pivot works etc...

2001300exguy
01-07-2006, 04:51 PM
i already ordered em and got the old ones out now i just gotta grease everything up