PDA

View Full Version : Workouts specific for racing (atv)

adrenalinefreak
12-22-2005, 06:09 PM
All in the subject...

What do you guys do for exercise that is specific for racing? I am familiar with quite a bit of workouts. I used to play competitive tennis and know workouts specific for competing , but was looking for some tips/info about what you guys do to get race ready?

My info is as follows:
height: 5'9
weight: fluctuates between 130 and 135 lbs.
Type:athletic
Body fat: Last time I tested it was 17%
First race: In Feb. 2006

Any info would be great...I pretty much focus on abs and lower backs...triceps...for now...cardio...I'll admit at this particular time I focus mainly on my abs and back...they are pretty flat and stong...so I need to focus on other areas...

the Z Man
12-22-2005, 06:31 PM
RIDE..

adrenalinefreak
12-22-2005, 06:47 PM
Yeah...I wish I could just ride all day everyday, but unfortunately it doesn't work like that in my current situation...so I was hoping for some things to do on the side...without the quad...?

If I could...I would ride everyday...all day!!!

drgnerth
12-22-2005, 07:21 PM
I keep hearing cardio and riding is the best.

adrenalinefreak
12-22-2005, 07:53 PM
Yea...I usually get on the eliptical machine...I try to stay off of the Treadmill because of the knees. No need to put anymore stress on them...they don't give me problems with the quad (thankfully)!

I might start swimming again...just to get a full body work out...mix it up a bit...

I read in another forum that rowing is good...who knows...I pretty much try to stay in shape...luckily I don't have to worry about weight issues...due to my high metabolism.....focusing on endurance...I'm so excited about my first race...it's only 12 miles, but still couldn't hurt to be top notch!

bigjbull
12-22-2005, 08:05 PM
o.k., endurance is not rocket science.
run, swim, ride a bike, do jumping jacks, or what ever inceases your heart rate.
Lance Armstrong rides a bike 5-6 hours a day since he rides a bike for a living and his races are 5-6 hours in legnth.
Do what Z-man does, RIDE!!!!!

jgracing
12-22-2005, 10:30 PM
i know how you feel.. its off season
this is what i do

bench.
curls.
upright rows for lower arm strength... solves armpump
sit ups
i dont ride in winter so i wont even say that
main thing...

find a bar or broomstick, drill a hole tie a about a 3.5 foot roap to it and tie a weight to the bottom.. hold it out and roll it up and roll it down... this does wonders for armpump which is your major concern.. im 125 pounds on a fully loaded yfz...
i was dominating on a 250r and then i got the yfz and i fell to last for a couple rounds untill i started working out upper body strength..... motivation goes a long way

watts16
12-22-2005, 10:56 PM
I swim alot really helps w/ endurance. I didnt try out for the swim team but i go to some of the practices for exercise.

adrenalinefreak
12-22-2005, 11:01 PM
Thanks Jim,

I am aware of endurance exercises, just wondering what you guys do for your workouts...thats all...

always nice to hear about something else and try it to mix things up a bit...worst thing about working out in the gym is it becomes a routine and gets kind of boring...hence when I get rich I will have a track in my backyard!! That way I can just ride...

I just found out today that the Mesquite track here in Nevada allows quads which means I now have a track I can practice on..

Motivation does go a long way!! Music is a big part of my working out at the gym...

Do you guys have mics hooked up to your helmets...so you can communicate....I'm pretty sure it's illegal for races, but when you are practicing or just riding? Just wondering....was thinkin bout putting one in mine just to test it out...so you can communicate with the people you are riding with...we have GPS with walkie talkie feature...off topic...just wonderin...

trx400exxracer
12-22-2005, 11:52 PM
Cardio is by far the best here is an example

get a road bike and a trainer which lets you pedal like you are regularly biking by staying still

get on the trainer for 9minutes since you are starting (you may up the time once you get better)

for 9 minutes

the first three minutes keep a good pace

second 3 minutes pedal as hard as you can
and the third 3 minutes go back to regular

it is just that routine of going regular to hardest

and do 100 pushups a night in setes of 25 if not more

and for a abb workout

lay on your back, lift your legs off the ground 6 inches from the ground, and do crunches

^^^ this is more effective than regular crunches way more effective

adrenalinefreak
12-23-2005, 01:26 AM
Thanks!

I Haven't done the bike exercise yet. I've done something very similar on the treadmill and eliptical...I'll try that...

I'll start doing the pushups on top of what I am doing at the gym...I goto LVAS (Las Vegas Athletic Club) and they just put up a brand new location and it has a lot of great machines...and they put in a bunch of new abs machines....I've been on those..

I love doing abs...just have to make sure I get the lower back as well...

What about carb loading a few days before racing, do you guys practice that? I used to when I played tennis, usually worked as long as I played a long match otherwise would reap the benefits...

Ohh...I have another ?:
Do you guys wear camelpacks when racing...probably depends on the length of the race, right? I probably wont on my first race...who knows

jdwxv3
12-23-2005, 07:36 AM
I ride my quad when I can as hard as I can for as long as I can. I also ride a Mountain Bike on wooded trails(really hard) To prevent arm pump I use a tennis ball or some sort of hand exerciser kinda looks like this /*\ and you sqeeze it together and it works your forearms out great, you can buy the set at wal-mart

I have also heard of people buying the exercise balls and working around on them like you are setting on a quad seat.

jlm996s
12-23-2005, 08:47 AM
I lift and run on the treadmill. I do a full body work-out...just not heavy weights. I usually do 3 sets of 12 reps per exercise. I just try to get stronger and build endurance, but not bulk. I usually run 3.5 - 4.5 miles a time on the treadmill....usually 4 times a week. I have never had a problem with arm pump. I wish I could find something to work my thumb, though. After 2 hours of riding, my thumb is usually killing me!

adrenalinefreak
12-23-2005, 02:00 PM
I know what you mean about the thumb. Thankfully I don't experience it that much on my 400ex. However, when I ride the YFZ 450...man that really puts a hurtin on your thumb...even with the sissy bar you can put on it still leads to thumb cramps....but I would put up with it if I had a YFZ 450.

I'm sure you could jerry rig something up to simulate the throttle and strength the thumb....could use that thing /*\ but put an extension on one side and just use your thumb...lol...I don't know...

I would say go for a twist throttle...but not a great idea on a quad (my first crash). I hear they are great for dirt bikes because you use your body more for steering, but on a quad you have to use your arms. And if you go to get a better grip on the quad you are going to shoot the gas....I kind of liked it though...

Shawn H
12-26-2005, 12:20 PM
Ride as often as you can,when you can make the most of it>

Camel back for sure if your racing over 1hr, I highly recommend it,I always use 1 we race for 2hr+. Its nice to just be able to wash your lips if its dusty. Short race less water in the camel back...

I dont carb up,but most dedicated racers have trained enough and ate correctly to have plenty of energy in reserve. I just eliminate Sugar,caffiene etc.. a week leading up to the race..I try to eat well all the time tho, but it slips up once in awhile..

I always drink a gallon of water aevery day.If you cant then 3 days leading up to the race, drink a gallon of water each day. So your fully hydrated and wont cramp.

As for excercise: I try and do anything that keeps me in the riding positioned. hunched over on a bike, rowing machine,eliptical, treadmill, defintly mix it up,it sounds like you know what to do here. Work on your legs and core.

For your thumb, add a Honda 90cc Thumb lever instead of your stocker, its longer and will help. make sure all your controls,and bars are adjusted for your most comfortable fit.

Go pee before the race lol, It seems like 5 minutes before the start everyone has to go.

Concentrate on breathing while racing, you'll tense up and get arm pump if you dont.

Always have fun and enjoy the ride,Dont forget to PACE yourself too.

Good luck
Shawn

adrenalinefreak
12-26-2005, 12:35 PM
Thanks Shawn!!

That has to be the best so far! I'll keep that all in mind. I think if anything is not going to be perfect read to race is my quad. My first race I'm looking for the experience and fun of my first, but still think it would be better to have at least a 440 and more after market mods like suspension and my controls...everything is still stock!

But we'll see!

Shawn H
12-26-2005, 12:52 PM
Dont worry about any 440 or 450's.Most of them have been racing for awhile so they should beat ya,You'll do just fine by staying consistant (sp)

I have all the bells and whistles on my race quad but usually do just as good on my practice quad thats near stock.

Endurance, experience and maintance is the key. If your a good rider that alone will get ya oon the podium. Then ya need the suspension and big motors.

If ya have the time, make sure all your fasteners are loc-tited,battery terminals are good and tight,no missing bolts, etc...

I prefer to have my idle a little high too so its less apt to stall in the tight stuff, but I dont know what your terrain is like?

trx400exxracer
12-26-2005, 12:56 PM
what kind of quad do you have adrenelinefreek

adrenalinefreak
12-26-2005, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by trx400exxracer
what kind of quad do you have adrenelinefreek

I have a 2004 Honda 400EX.
My mods are as follows:
Alba Pipe (slip-on)
K&N Air Filter
Jet Kit
(I have an aftermarket Air/fuel screw, haven't put it in yet)
AC Racing Skid Plate ( I have to put my new bolts on because I ripped it off)
AC Racing Pro Peg Nerf Bars
Pro Design Kill Switch
That's it

I wish I had after market suspension (because I love to jump)
After market bars and stabilizer (like what I got my b/f for his birthday. I got him a Houser steering stem and a GPR Stabilizer)
I wouldn't mind having a big bore kit and hot cams...

Right now I am a full-time college student no job, but I might be working at Carter Powersports, not sure though. I've filled out all the paperwork and tests. It would be nice if I could find some sponsors!! I'm waiting until after my first race to look for sponsors...

I really want to race!

trx400exxracer
12-26-2005, 01:21 PM
yeah your next step would deffinately be a suspension like 450r stock front shocks revalved by GT thunder and get a link and your rear shock revalved by gt thunder

I wouldn't worry about a bi bore kit my brother had a 2001 bone stock excaept for some used works front shocks and a used revalved rear shock an he could strait up beat 450r's, predator's, and Z's and etc.

that just goes to show you that it is mostly the rider

but I would recomend a Uni air filter the K&N isn't just cut out for xc racing or twin air filter would be nice but for $2 more I would get uni

adrenalinefreak
12-26-2005, 01:22 PM
Shawn,

I haven't really had issues with the idle. Usually if I'm coming up to a spot where I might stall out then I hold in my clutch...not sure if that is good but that is what I do. Usually hills or big rocks and climbing...we do all sorts of terrains. Dunes, trials, and rocks.
I plan on checking all of my nuts and bolts to make sure they are fastened properly....hve to find some lock tight...

My skid plate has gone through hell and back...so I had to go and pick up bolts to bolt it back on...going to lock-tite them on...

Sorry guys about all the posts...I am just really excited...kind of wish the race was in January...D Kelley invited me to the phoenix worcs race but nbot sure if I hae the funds...we shall see...

Thanks again for all the help everyone!!!!!!

Shawn H
12-26-2005, 01:49 PM
Your ok, feathering the clutch thats the correct way,I just dont use the clutch all that much thru the woods, If I come to a spot in the woods I can usually idle thru a tight spot, unless theres an obstacle then I use the clutch.

Just my prefrence alot of people do it.

Good luck

adrenalinefreak
12-26-2005, 02:07 PM
yeah your next step would deffinately be a suspension like 450r stock front shocks revalved by GT thunder and get a link and your rear shock revalved by gt thunder

I wouldn't worry about a bi bore kit my brother had a 2001 bone stock excaept for some used works front shocks and a used revalved rear shock an he could strait up beat 450r's, predator's, and Z's and etc.

that just goes to show you that it is mostly the rider

but I would recomend a Uni air filter the K&N isn't just cut out for xc racing or twin air filter would be nice but for $2 more I would get uni

So the K&N would not be good for the Worcs series? I don't think I'll be racing in any other series for now...I have my Adelanto GP and then whatever Worcs race I do....

As for parts...yeah I heard that the 450R shocks mount right on the 400ex...because I had the idea to put YFZ 450 shocks on and just modify my frame but didn't want to do that...

know anyone with stock 450R shocks lying around that wouldn't mind getting rid of them? That would be cool...is it true they go right on, or do you have to do any fabricating?

trx400exxracer
12-26-2005, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by adrenalinefreak
So the K&N would not be good for the Worcs series? I don't think I'll be racing in any other series for now...I have my Adelanto GP and then whatever Worcs race I do....

As for parts...yeah I heard that the 450R shocks mount right on the 400ex...because I had the idea to put YFZ 450 shocks on and just modify my frame but didn't want to do that...

know anyone with stock 450R shocks lying around that wouldn't mind getting rid of them? That would be cool...is it true they go right on, or do you have to do any fabricating?

well I geuss the K&N would be ok for the WORCS, if there arent many muddy races if there are I would get Uni

I don't know of anybody with 450r shocks for sale but there are usualy a lot that are for sale in the 4-sale section and on e-bay and they usally they go for cheap and I heard they bolt right up

trx400exxracer
12-27-2005, 11:41 PM
I found you some shocks for $200 plus shipping

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=199512&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

adrenalinefreak
12-28-2005, 12:12 AM
I found you some shocks for $200 plus shipping

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=199512&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Thanks...that was really nice!! I contact them through PM so we'll see. I've also contacted Ishocks...to see about their shocks and setup...we'll see how that goes...

I think first I need to get the money together to get into worcs and finish getting numbers and stuff...I don't know...

Looks like I might be starting my new job very soon at a kick *** place. (Carter) Ohh yeah!!

Anyway...thank you so much for sending me that link...I'll keep ya posted...maybe even see ya out on the track!

trx400exxracer
12-28-2005, 12:44 AM
Thanks...that was really nice!! I contact them through PM so we'll see. I've also contacted Ishocks...to see about their shocks and setup...we'll see how that goes...

I think first I need to get the money together to get into worcs and finish getting numbers and stuff...I don't know...

Looks like I might be starting my new job very soon at a kick *** place. (Carter) Ohh yeah!!

Anyway...thank you so much for sending me that link...I'll keep ya posted...maybe even see ya out on the track!

you may not see me on the track at works but you will deffinatley see and hear about me when I turn 16 and start racing GNCC's

That is what I am getting my quad ready for. I plan on racing the open B class when I start racing my first full season when I turn 17. Well I guess I got 3 years but it will be here like that

But I found some elkas for $450 xc racer 150lbs.

here is the link

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=199908

I got dibs on the steering stem:D lol

I would reccomend these more than the stock 450r's these are ELKA'S for only $250 more

adrenalinefreak
12-28-2005, 12:52 AM
No Doubt on the elka's. Right now I don't have that kind of money...so that dream might be on hold, but at least I can still race which is a dream and a goal!

You can usually get pretty good deals on stems. I got my b/f a Houser Stem with the GPR Stabilizer...very nice setup...

Good luck...at least you have plenty of time to practice and get ready for racing!!!

I'll let you know what I think about Worcs after my first race...

where do you normally ride?

trx400exxracer
12-28-2005, 01:20 AM
No Doubt on the elka's. Right now I don't have that kind of money...so that dream might be on hold, but at least I can still race which is a dream and a goal!

You can usually get pretty good deals on stems. I got my b/f a Houser Stem with the GPR Stabilizer...very nice setup...

Good luck...at least you have plenty of time to practice and get ready for racing!!!

I'll let you know what I think about Worcs after my first race...

where do you normally ride?

I live in Georgia so I race at a local xc series in the pro sport class

and I ride wherever there are numerous places in GA to ride I also have my own track out at my family's land

Yeah I plan on getting the pep used steering stabilizer$65, and I found a used laeger steering stem
and I found a ims tank for $80shipped

But I would just wait on the shocks until you feel comfortable that you have enough money to spend on them I plan on selling my works in the future and getting Elkas or axis

I deffinatley have a lot more training andriding and practicing ahead of me

I seriously am training to be proffessional I mean tere is no harm in trying and start at a good young age

but my brother will be racing a couple of the GNCC's this year and I hope to practice from him and learn some stuff with him along the upcomming years

So your first race is in January I know you will have fun just remember to be prepared My dad says nomatter if I have the best quad in the world I cant do anything with it without being prepared

well if you need anymore info don't hessitate to pm me or e-mail me at dcameronrogers@gmail.com

adrenalinefreak
12-28-2005, 01:00 PM
That is really cool about having your own track. That is something I've been dreaming about! I would love to just be able to hop on my quad and go for a great ride day after day, but unfortunately I don't have that option just yet. I did find out that The mesquite track allows quads so I might go up there and try it out.

I have to agree with your dad on the race theory! I've heard that over and over and would have to agree myself...you can have the best quad in the world but if you can't drive it and or control it then it does you no good...

Well, I have to get ready for my job interview...:)

BTW...my email is adrenalinefreakz@yahoo.com

trx400exxracer
12-28-2005, 01:23 PM
That is really cool about having your own track. That is something I've been dreaming about! I would love to just be able to hop on my quad and go for a great ride day after day, but unfortunately I don't have that option just yet. I did find out that The mesquite track allows quads so I might go up there and try it out.

I have to agree with your dad on the race theory! I've heard that over and over and would have to agree myself...you can have the best quad in the world but if you can't drive it and or control it then it does you no good...

Well, I have to get ready for my job interview...:)

BTW...my email is adrenalinefreakz@yahoo.com

yeah we have a little xc track it is only around 3 or more miles though we are adding a flattrack section to it and some mx but we only have 18 acres to build a track on but my dad is trying to get the land next to us so we can have clse to 50 acres then we could have a 9 mile track (yeehaw). But that is a couple of miles from my house but we ride very often out there we are even going there New Years and the day before.

We also have a little track that we keep adding on to near my house at my uncles land

and if you need any info or anything my e-mail is dcameronrogers@ureach.com