PDA

View Full Version : 250r title help

ltl666devil
12-22-2005, 10:46 AM
how do i go about gettin a tittle for my r. i bought a frame from someone that says its not stolen but he said that some year 250rs didnt come with titles. just wanting to kno if thats tru? jersey sux with titles and the cops suk around here so i dont wanna b troubled. also i cant tell the vin # on the frame cause of how many times its been sandblasted and powdercoated.
thanks

TheFontMaster
12-22-2005, 12:19 PM
Many states didn't, and still don't give titles to atv's. So it is very possible that he just didn't get a title with the quad. Your best bet is to get a signed paper from who you bought it from that says that he sold it to you and for how much. I know in NY you need the vin number, so you might have to sand off some of the powdercoat to get the vin number to show up better. To register quads here you need to put a piece of paper over the vin, then run a pencil across it to get the number, and show that to the DMV.

slamdak8782
12-22-2005, 12:33 PM
ttt

ltl666devil
12-22-2005, 12:46 PM
ya bye me in nj they wont take just a bill of sale unless its notorized. i figured i would try to go through dmv and maybe i can get a salvage title or they have a catagory of missing vins. maybe they will give me a new vin # and title. but thatnks for the info.

if anyone else has info please post it

thanks

JTRtrx250r
12-22-2005, 03:16 PM
Im in the same boat w/ the vin# sandblasted:rolleyes: :mad: can read all but the last 4 digits, and I think I have all but 2 of them. If/when you go get it inspected... just make sure its a bare frame.. in case they wanna take it, b/c its possible:(

deathman53
12-22-2005, 03:30 PM
I never got my bikes inspected or the vins's checked. I know my mx atc250r is clean, as a nosey cop decided that it was evil for me to go riding and he checked the plates an such of my truck, then he climbed on the truck pulled off my number plate(I was really pissed) copied down the vin number. He did the same to the guys I was with on thier truck. He sat in the back of the parking lot and he pulled over my friends(the owner of the truck, who wasn't there had a warrant) My 200x, other atc250r, trx 250r, 2 other atc 250r frames, I have no idea of the history. I'm scared to have the vin's run, we are dealing with a 20 yr old bike, alot happens in 20 years!!!!!! I wish there was a place where we can run the vin's annoymamously.

ltl666devil
12-22-2005, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by deathman53
I never got my bikes inspected or the vins's checked. I know my mx atc250r is clean, as a nosey cop decided that it was evil for me to go riding and he checked the plates an such of my truck, then he climbed on the truck pulled off my number plate(I was really pissed) copied down the vin number. He did the same to the guys I was with on thier truck. He sat in the back of the parking lot and he pulled over my friends(the owner of the truck, who wasn't there had a warrant) My 200x, other atc250r, trx 250r, 2 other atc 250r frames, I have no idea of the history. I'm scared to have the vin's run, we are dealing with a 20 yr old bike, alot happens in 20 years!!!!!! I wish there was a place where we can run the vin's annoymamously.

i hear you on that one. i wish the same thing.

deathman53
12-22-2005, 07:09 PM
I was pretty scared when I saw that, on that bike it had a cr ingntion, esr330 big bore, elka rear shock, ims pegs, 38 a/s, short track kit, and also I rebuilt the whole bike myself, the motor parts and short track kit, and suspension come to over 3g in parts, I would have cried if the cop took it away from me, all my time, money, and then on top of it, getting charged with posession of stolen property, and who know what else the cops wanted to add, I'd be out over 8 grand.

JTRtrx250r
12-22-2005, 07:57 PM
my father in law is a superior court judge, I dont need any negative feedback...or have to explain why I have a stolen frame. I bougt it along w/ another that were pretty much chit-can material from some lady in Cal that claimed to be a good do'er, church goer etc, that said these frames were straight, blasted and ready for paint. also said tho both had titles or I wouldnt have even waisted my time

she turned out to be a flat out liar, so yes... Ive been curious myself. I know a couple cops and thought to have them read the vin... but man.... if this thing ever came back stolen, and in my possession.... I'd absolutely hate it, but its better to try and find out than possibly get pinched for a possession of stolen property

You can alway go to a DMV and just see if they can tell you. I did this 1 time w/ a streetbike, they couldn't tell me who's name it was in... but they could tell me if they, or a bank owned it type of thing, thinking about going that route to stay "anonomus" so to speak:D But the bottem line is I cant use a frame that cant be licensed, nor do I need to have anything thats been stolen!

I dont like the nervousness of the possible possibilty of it all, time to chit and get off the pot about it tho, but its also another reason Im not into any thing w/o a title, around Wa... a bill of sale dont mean chit, even if you did pay out the %$#@ for it

ltl666devil
12-22-2005, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by deathman53
I was pretty scared when I saw that, on that bike it had a cr ingntion, esr330 big bore, elka rear shock, ims pegs, 38 a/s, short track kit, and also I rebuilt the whole bike myself, the motor parts and short track kit, and suspension come to over 3g in parts, I would have cried if the cop took it away from me, all my time, money, and then on top of it, getting charged with posession of stolen property, and who know what else the cops wanted to add, I'd be out over 8 grand.

im in the same boat. i have alot of time and money in my bikes. just dont want to get into trouble.

thanks everyone

LexLuther
12-23-2005, 02:00 PM
In California anyway, if you can prove that you purchased the parts but the frame is stolen, the worst that could happen is that the frame is confiscated and returned to the original owner. All you would be out is your labor and the cost of the frame. The state can't take all your after market parts. Also, you will not be charged with possession of stolen property if you were a good faith purchaser. But just to be safe, never buy any vehicle without a clear title.