PDA

View Full Version : YFZ shocks on a Raptor 660 with +2 arms

Raptor Pilot
12-22-2005, 10:44 AM
hello all,

This is my first post, and untill just recently have been away from the quad sceen since probly 88 (showing my age :rolleyes: ).

I recently acquired a 03 Raptor 660R. After rinding less then 10 hours on it, I decided it need to be widened. Its not the most stable-ist quad I've come accross, but it sure has some ballz. Anyway, my question is, I ordered +2, +1 arms (original upper arm was bent, so I figured its an excuss to upgrade :D ) for it and also scored a hella deal on some NEW YFZ front shocks (along with +2 spacers for the rear). I've read that people complain of the YFZ being too stiff. i figured with the +2 arms and all the adjustments found on the YFZ shocks they'd work well on my Raptor. Unfortunately I didn't do a lot of research before I purchased these items (nothings installed yet) so hopefully it works out. So has anyone tried this set up? Any comments as to why this would or wouldn't work well? I'll most likely do trail riding with an occasional MX track.

Yes I've searched this forum, but I came up with nothing although I'm sure its here, the search feature only allows 4 letters or more to be searched (and YFZ is only 3).

Thanks a bunch

~Mike..........

parkers30
12-22-2005, 11:06 AM
I have seen alot of people running the same setup so it must be OK, you will probably need to play with the shock setting to make them feel a little better on the heavier bike with longer a-arms.

400exMO
12-22-2005, 01:28 PM
Yeah, the heavier bike and more leverage with the longer aarms......You might need to send them somewhere and get them revalved. GT Thunder I'm sure can do wonders for you, give him a call and see what Laz can do.

Raptor Pilot
12-22-2005, 02:06 PM
Since I see YFZ riders complain about the quad being too stiff (and for the 2006 model YAMAHA did soften the front shocks a bit) I figured with the added leverage from the arms, and the fact the Raptor is a heavier bike, that it shouldn't ride too stiff (and hopefully not too soft). I guess I'll wait and see (shocks havent arrived yet).

Also, does anyone know the Raptor's stock shock length from eye to eye? I was given a measurement of the YFZ shock as 15.625". The search feature yeilded no results for finding the stock Raptor shock length.

{edit} found it on another forum. 15 1/2"

Thanks again, ~Mike........

Raptor Pilot
01-04-2006, 04:10 PM
No one here with direct experiance?

d kelley
01-04-2006, 05:06 PM
raptorpilot, I have a 2004 raptor with LS+2 race arms and took off some Elkas shocks, sold them and put on my shocks from my 2006 yfz when I thought I was selling the raptor. This set-up works so good I cant believe it. I weigh 175lbs and ride pretty hard. It is plush and soaks up everything. I had to grind some material away from the raptor upper shock mounts to make them fit (about 1/8") but everything else was fine.

Raptor Pilot
01-05-2006, 07:51 AM
EXCELLENT!! thats what I was hoping to hear. I'll be tearing down then rebuilding parts of the bike (mostly suspension) this winter so I wouldn't be able to see/feel how this worked out for a bit. Glad to hear first hand experiance.

~Mike............