PDA

View Full Version : St. Joe in Farmington,MO or LBL near Paducah, KY?

06-30-2002, 05:15 PM
I was thinking of going to LBL in Kentucky next weekend, I have been to St. Joe about 50 times in the last 5 years or so. never been to LBL but if it isnt worth it then Ill keep going to St. Joe instead. I live about equal distance from both places so that leaves me with which one is the "better" spot.

anyone here been to both places to give me a comparison?

Striker49
07-02-2002, 04:58 PM
I dunno how st. joe is but me and Castor-400ex goto Turkey Bay, LBL regularly. I dont think youll be disappointed. Just ask Rico on here, he came down from Lexington back in April for the big ride we had and I dont think he was disappointed. Just PM him.
If youre plannin on goin sometime soon post and let us locals know. Im plannin on goin back here pretty quick, I havent been in bout a month. :D

07-02-2002, 06:08 PM
well, i heard that it was all washed out and rough. also that its mostly hills. I dont know where to go, i hate to waste a weekend.....

Castor-426ex
07-02-2002, 10:30 PM
well its not a very small place...youve got a variety of terrain and I mean a Lot of variety....There are a lot of places that I can get 5th gear wide open if I wanted to..some weekends are better than others...because of the Jeeps and dune buggies...but it has never been a bad place to ride unless it rains....then its a muddy mess...and hills? thats an understatement...but you dont have to go up em...:D
I like it because you can ride all day on not cover all of it...and mainly because of the amount of women....Jk...

I think its a great place all and all...if you go Let me and Striker know...id like to get one more good ride in before I tear down my quad

Moto92
07-02-2002, 11:41 PM
Dont forget me...Ill ride too :D

07-03-2002, 06:27 AM
LBL is worth the trip,,lots a trails and challenging terrain,,and yes it's rough in some spots and rocky,,but hey,,your on an ATV so don't be skeert,,,load that SOB up and go down there,,you'll have fun I garauntee it..:D :D

Striker49
07-04-2002, 05:48 PM
Hey Castor....when you wantin to tear the ol 400 down? I cant get my dad to go b/c he complains that its too hot for him....but this 95*/80% humidity shibby doesnt cut it, and I have to agree with him, but you can always hit the lake if ya get to hot. :D

Rico....when you wantin to come back down? Ill be set here bout 2 months b/c I get my license (unless I fail, b/c I cant drive ;) ).

Castor-426ex
07-04-2002, 10:11 PM
actually as of right now I cant decide between a 416 or a high comp piston and a different cam.
I am going to order me some shocks in about a week...then Im probably gonna schedule to have my frame powdercoated.
I might wait on the frame till it cools off...I dont wanna waste any riding time....
Main thing right now....Bearings and seals everywhere...lol
then Im gonna try to sell my big gun system to try and go to the new race style...who knows what else...not really much left to do...:D
Let me know when you wanna go to Turkey....Ill be ready....You ever been to soldier creek??

Striker49
07-04-2002, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Castor-400ex
actually as of right now I cant decide between a 416 or a high comp piston and a different cam.
I am going to order me some shocks in about a week...then Im probably gonna schedule to have my frame powdercoated.
I might wait on the frame till it cools off...I dont wanna waste any riding time....
Main thing right now....Bearings and seals everywhere...lol
then Im gonna try to sell my big gun system to try and go to the new race style...who knows what else...not really much left to do...:D
Let me know when you wanna go to Turkey....Ill be ready....You ever been to soldier creek??

Soldier Creek! :huh Are you kiddin me? I live bout 10 mins from there and maybe goin tomorrow. Tell me next time you goin dude. You ever heard of Beach Tree? Its bout 5 mins from Soldier Creek. Anyways, just lemme know and we'll hookup, i can go anytime this weekend at the moment. :D

Castor-426ex
07-05-2002, 08:55 AM
Lmao its been a while since I was at Soldier creek...But I plan on doin sum ridin sun prob monday though...thats cool...Last time I went we just rode through the deep stuff...Is there a lot of trails also??

Striker49
07-05-2002, 03:55 PM
I just got back from there. Some stupid farmer planted his field right in the middle of our entrance and dozed up the other one. The creek is pretty good at the moment, not alot of trails though...just detours up banks to go round the deep stuff. There is a place down the road bout 2 miles that has some trails but there isnt alot. My dad cant seem to keep the Recon from diein on him in water so all I got to hear was complaining and had to tow him out again. Im killin his pride too.... :D Him and his "15 years" of ridin experiance.
Anyways, if you ever head out this way or up to Turkey Bay PM me and we'll try to hookup. :cool:

frogburner
07-10-2002, 05:35 PM
Fast and furious,

Depends on how you like riding?? My cousin and I went riding at the LBL a couple months ago, and really didnt care for it to much. The LBL is VERY ROCKY and WAY TOO MANY TREES... Now, St. Joe for instance, Sand , dirt, hills( STEEP HILLS).. After we had gone riding at the LBL, We decided that it wasnt that impressive after all... It is fun to ride there, but not near as fun as St. Joe... Just my opinion...

07-10-2002, 07:26 PM
frogburner, you say LBL is rocky, is it worse than the trails back in woods that go around the perimeter of St. joe?
I didnt care much for some of the rocks in those trails. In fact some of the large ones had been hit so many times they were mostly blue, red, or silver!

I like jumps, the berms at st. joe are ok but none are really good distance jumps, most I hit the last time just send ya straight up and then crashin back down hard.

I just cant make up my mind where to go:confused: :confused:

07-11-2002, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by frogburner
The LBL is VERY ROCKY and WAY TOO MANY TREES...

Maybe you should check out the Utah salt flats...I hear it's pretty open riding there...;) :D

PS...you ain't seen rocks till you go to the Hatfield McCoy trail system,,,he11 LBL might as well have gravel trails compared to that place..:eek:

frogburner
07-11-2002, 04:23 PM
Rico,

I dont really care for riding on rocks, its just the way i ride, I would rather have hard packed dirt or sand rather than rocks...

Fast and furious,

Like I say, its very rocky at LBL, but you might as well go if you have never been there... As for myself I dont really care for it... I banged up my wheels the worst I ever have in the two days I was up there, than I ever had... But if you havent been there, You might as well check it out... Who knows you might like it better...

Striker49
07-11-2002, 07:47 PM
Its gonna mainly be a matter of your opinion. Personally I love Turkey Bay, its the best place to ride round here within an hour of travel. I dont mind the rocks, but it is possible to avoid them if you want. Its just mainly rocky closer to the lake but the main trails are nice hard pack, banked turns, few little jumps here and here....couple sets of up/down hill jumps. Its up to you but if you havent ever been to Turkey Bay then I would go there since youve already been to St. Joe, it'll be somin new to try. :cool:

Moto92
07-11-2002, 09:51 PM
You guys riding at LBL any time soon, I havent been sense our ride back in april and Im ready for another trip.

Striker49
07-11-2002, 11:28 PM
Im tryin to get my dad to go again since he is the only trans I got at the moment unless Castor could take me.
I could prolly find a trailer to hookup to the ol s-10 of Castor if he wouldnt mind and we could go up for a Sunday sometime this month? Up to you guys.

And Rico wants to come back down sometime in late August. :cool:

Sandragggen
07-12-2002, 01:07 AM
Suschhh!!!. St. Joe sucks. There's to many people riding in our sand pile already. Don't waste your time guys; going to St. Joe. Lead poisoning will only slow the reactions. Go to LBL. Shut up you MO guys! ;)

frogburner
07-12-2002, 04:48 PM
You sure sound like a bright one... You said for all the MO guys to shut up,,,,, Hummmmmm, looks to me like your from MO too,,,

St. Joe is the best place to ride... Have you been to LBL???

Originally posted by Sandragggen
Suschhh!!!. St. Joe sucks. There's to many people riding in our sand pile already. Don't waste your time guys; going to St. Joe. Lead poisoning will only slow the reactions. Go to LBL. Shut up you MO guys! ;) :cool: :cool:

Sandragggen
07-12-2002, 05:07 PM
I was just kidding Frog. Pun was intended. You know...nudge, nudge, wink, wink. Never mind.

07-13-2002, 09:11 PM
well I think I am going to try LBL next weekend. I have a couple buddies that want to go if they can. I just hope it doesnt rain:grr

07-21-2002, 10:06 PM
I got to go to LBL today. Its ok for a change. I found several good jumps in the roads, the best jump for me was clearing about 50' thats the farthest I have ever jumped my 400. It has rocks, I punctured a sidewall on my front tire, plugged it though. I think I like St. Joe's sand better but they are both good places to ride....

Striker49
07-21-2002, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by FastnFurious1
the best jump for me was clearing about 50' thats the farthest I have ever jumped my 400.

Where was this jump at? Did I miss one somewhere or are you talkin bout one out on the main trail that has bout 5 decent jumps?
Im plannin on goin tomorrow with my good ol dad and his recon. I may be goin next weekend too if I can bum a ride. A buncha my friends have said somin bout it so Ive gotta see what I can do. I wish i had my license. :rolleyes:

07-21-2002, 11:20 PM
well, soon as i get my wheelr togather, and hav a free weeknd, im goin down, im thinkin about brinin a spare piston down there, its the only place the R locks up, cursed

Rider#11
07-21-2002, 11:51 PM
and ima coming wit ya breck and also remember when pauled pulled off your air boot and it was full of sand?? hmm maybe thats a hint :huh

Striker49
07-22-2002, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Rider#11
and ima coming wit ya breck and also remember when pauled pulled off your air boot and it was full of sand?? hmm maybe thats a hint :huh

Sand? What was he doin? Tryin to ride across the lake? :D

Let us know when you guys plan on comin down. I get my license here in a month and a half (if i pass, i cant drive...lol).
Ill be set, just let us know. :cool:

Rider#11
07-22-2002, 12:25 AM
yea it was pretty funny looking at that air boot and it being full of sand and hes still trying to figure out y it keeps breaking down there:huh :huh :huh :huh :huh :huh :huh :huh :huh lol

Castor-426ex
07-22-2002, 02:13 AM
yeah Im not sure when ill go back down there but if everyone decides on a date that is a Sun or Mon Im there...as long as it aint one of my kids b-day

07-22-2002, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Striker49
Where was this jump at?

It was on the main road leading to the north of the registration area right at the trail entrance to area 7 when heading north on the trail you have to go around a left turn and get straightened back up and hit it hard, I flew thru the air for about 50' the road is straight after the jump so you have room to land and slow down.

also on the road from the lake beach, from points 1-4, has some good little jumps and some you have a good flat area to land so you can really fly over em!

http://www.kentuckylake.com/map/lbl/turkeybaymap.gif

Striker49
07-22-2002, 06:50 PM
I know which one you are talkin bout now. I went over that one couple times today. Come off of it sideways once and almost threw myself off the bike. It was fun, I went today. Very very dust, bout like the EXriders ride back in April. And appearently they have had a dozer come in there and doze through all the main trails and the boundry. It fixed the many many ruts that were starting to form but it didnt have that "trail ride" feel to it on some of the back trails that got dozed. Good thing they left the jumps though. Maybe we can hookup and ride next time you head there. :D