PDA

View Full Version : what is preload

ATV Hammond
12-22-2005, 01:41 AM
i have been racing for quite some while, but do still not under stand what preload, and what can it do to you and your quad

any help anyone

Rico
12-22-2005, 07:02 AM
You adjust your ride hieght with preload. IT's the amount of pressure put on the springs. More pressure applied will raise the quad, less pressure lowers the quad.

omaits
12-24-2005, 12:00 PM
If you increase the preload, does it increase the chance of bottoming out or simply decrease the shocks travel?

I bought my quad used and the preload was set all the way down (no preload). I would like to lower the front end but I am not sure if it will make it bottom out more when I land (it already does a little bit) Also, will having more preload affect how the quad jumps...i.e., will it nosedive. I thought preload can affect this as well.

thanks for the tips...

12-24-2005, 09:31 PM
if your talking about ajusting the shock then u twist the rings down to make the ride hight higher and stiffer(less botoming). or twist the rings up to make the ride hight lower and softer (more bottoming).
and if your back shock is to stiff compaired to your fronts it can make u nose dive easier. or

if your talking about pre loading to jump higher then u have to compress the shock when going up the jump so that the shock will spring of the lip of the jump and fling u higher. its kinda like bunny hopping on a pedal bike

omaits
12-27-2005, 06:51 AM
Yeah that stuff makes sense and answers a couple questions I had, but I am still unsure about one thing...

Does lowering my ride height on the front increase the probability of bottoming out (when landing a jump, not when going over rocky or rough areas)? I woudl like to get a more stable ride, but my front shocks already bottom out when I land a jump. If I lower it, will it bottom out even worse? Or when lowering it simple reduce the distance the shocks will travel only?

Thanks.

TBD
12-27-2005, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by omaits
Yeah that stuff makes sense and answers a couple questions I had, but I am still unsure about one thing...

Does lowering my ride height on the front increase the probability of bottoming out (when landing a jump, not when going over rocky or rough areas)? I woudl like to get a more stable ride, but my front shocks already bottom out when I land a jump. If I lower it, will it bottom out even worse? Or when lowering it simple reduce the distance the shocks will travel only?

Thanks.
By using the spring to lower the front you will definately lose spring force so yes it will bottom even easier.

12-27-2005, 07:07 PM
if u e-mail elka thay can anser every queston u got.