PDA

View Full Version : My 416 spits and smokes

jhoppa
12-21-2005, 08:04 PM
I start it up and it smokes and spits. I noticed that the clamp which connects the muffler to the pipe is missing and a bunch of black goo was running down out of the exhaust.

Could this missing clamp be the problem? No back pressure??

Like to hear your thoughts before I start tearing it apart.

400exstud
12-22-2005, 03:29 PM
I wouldn't assume that missing clamp to be the culprit. I would possibly think deaper.... like jetting?

bwamos
12-22-2005, 10:37 PM
Agree.

Spitting and sputtering are classic signs of an over rich jetting (or bad float adjustment).

The black goo would also be carbon sludge from the overly rich jetting, as well as the black smoke.

Start at the carbuerator.

What are your modifications (if they arent the same as you're signature), and what is your current jetting set at?

jhoppa
12-23-2005, 07:54 AM
Main jet is at 170. Did not look at the pilot. Engine has run great before, so I don't think jetting is the issue. :confused:

I started at the carb and cleaned it when this first started. I have cleaned the carburator twice now. I will clean it out again...

It will not stay running, large amounts of black/blue smoke. I am wondering if my timing chain slipped?? Yes, the engine is due for a rebuild.

I do use a K&N air filter with no pre-filter. I have not opened up the engine yet, but getting close to doing that.

thoughts....

phildogg
12-23-2005, 06:43 PM
Have you looked at the filter to see if it was excessively dirty? just a thought as that would make the bike richer.
phil

2muchquad
12-23-2005, 09:41 PM
actually it depends on where the exhaust leaK is at.i have seen where the midpipe/silencer junction could have a slight leak and not be bad but if there is even the smallest leak at the headpipe where it bolts to the head,you'll have all kinds of popping and rattling noises.:(

jhoppa
12-24-2005, 10:52 AM
First thing I did was clean the filter, it did not help. There is a slight exhaust leak between the silencer and mid-pipe.

Going to take carb off and clean it again.... if that does not work, I will open it up and see what happened.