PDA

View Full Version : New to the 400EX World

Mr Powell
12-21-2005, 07:01 PM
Just bought a brand new 03 Honda 400EX, they had a few still crated up at the dealership today. What are some of the basic stuff that I can do to it. I dont want to go as far as a motor, just yet.

I dont like exactly need part names with the exhaust because I need to do some research myself, but what else do I need to get? But the other things I need the names for some good brands on the other stuff.

Pipe (and header?), Jet Kit, Filter, Nerf Bars (The bars that go below your feet?), grips, and what else?

I've got less then a hour on it. I havent hit the rev limiter or anything yet because they said not to take it so high. How long should I break it in? It wheelies in first, but in 2nd I have to lean back a little to come up barely.

Any tips and tricks on the wheelie part of it.

whiteflash
12-21-2005, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Mr Powell
Just bought a brand new 03 Honda 400EX, they had a few still crated up at the dealership today. What are some of the basic stuff that I can do to it. I dont want to go as far as a motor, just yet.

I dont like exactly need part names with the exhaust because I need to do some research myself, but what else do I need to get? But the other things I need the names for some good brands on the other stuff.

Pipe (and header?), Jet Kit, Filter, Nerf Bars (The bars that go below your feet?), grips, and what else?

I've got less then a hour on it. I havent hit the rev limiter or anything yet because they said not to take it so high. How long should I break it in? It wheelies in first, but in 2nd I have to lean back a little to come up barely.

Any tips and tricks on the wheelie part of it.

alot of people do an HMF slip on with Powerbomb header( i think its FMF), Dial-a-Jet jet kit maybe?, K&N w/outerwears, I 've heard only good things about AC nerfs(The bars that go below your feet), i use Oury grips but its just a personal preferance i guess.

your could also get a cam and a stock bore high-comp piston. I just got a Stage 2 hotcam and it really woke it up.

if you trail ride, defiantly get a 14t sprocket to gear it down.

those mods should keep you busy for a while:)

DEAL
12-21-2005, 08:55 PM
Stay away from Fmf megamax pipes (their other pipes aren't bad)
Cobra and Dg pipes are junk as well.
Any other brand of pipe is decent, they all perform within the same range as eachother it really just depends on where you want your power.
Jet kits -none are perfect, you might want to try buying seperate jets.
Filter - I'd have to say uni , I had one in my 400ex and I have one in my 450r and they are great filters, inexpensive as well. As long as you keep them cleaned and oiled you will have no problems.
Also one of the best mods I found for a stock 400ex is to remove the airbox lid, throw in an aftermarket filter and rejet. Or just add a pipe and do it all at once.

As far as nerf bars go, stay away from the Dg steel series or any of the cheaper brands.
Pro armour or Ac racing is probably your best bet.

Mr Powell
12-21-2005, 09:13 PM
I'm going to find to order the stuff. I'm going to ride this week at my ranch.

If I order anything tomorrow it won't be in till after X-mas so I am kinda looking at it all.

First round of mods is going to be Jet Kit, Pipe, Grips, Nerf Bars, and probably a set of bars. oh yeah and a filter of course!!

trx400exxracer
12-21-2005, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Mr Powell
I'm going to find to order the stuff. I'm going to ride this week at my ranch.

If I order anything tomorrow it won't be in till after X-mas so I am kinda looking at it all.

First round of mods is going to be Jet Kit, Pipe, Grips, Nerf Bars, and probably a set of bars. oh yeah and a filter of course!!

Actually you can order something from rocky mountain right now and they will have it to you in two days since it is getting close to Christmas I think so

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/

Wandell
12-21-2005, 09:42 PM
Welcome to the site!:D

Mr Powell
12-21-2005, 09:47 PM
Pro-Armor Race vs Sport?

Only difference I can see is the back of them. Does this sound about right? I know they are decent amount between in the cost, wasn't sure of the differences.

trx400exxracer
12-21-2005, 09:52 PM
the heal gaurds is the back part which is very important to have on a quad, cause if you feet slips off it will be eaten up by the rear tire

so just spend the extra money and get the heelgaurds so you won't have to pay for surgery after your feet get screwed up

400EX QUADER
12-21-2005, 10:08 PM
I dont use anything but my stock pegs and my feet havent been chewed up... yet.....:D pm sent too.

400EX QUADER
12-21-2005, 10:10 PM
actually just talk to me on aim... i'm tryin to message you but you're not responding Mr Powell.:confused:

12-22-2005, 06:01 AM
in my opinion, before perfomance mods, i would protect it, then do suspension, with performance last...

protection...if you are riding on any trials at al, get a swing arm skid plate...at least .250 thick, the .190's bend way too easily and a full chassis skid plate(goes under the motor)...a-arm guards are nice, but not necessary...next is suspension

for suspension...the first thing is to get a steering stabilizer, then maybe upgrade your fornt shocks and a must is to do the gt thunder rear link with shock revalve( or buy a new aftermarket shock)...if you are racing, i woudl also do a-arms and stufff, but it don't sound like you will be racing...

then go to the performance mods...the suspension will make you faster since you will be in beter control and be able to get the power to the ground better...which will then allow you to use the performance mods better

hondajoe05
12-22-2005, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by speedyquad
in my opinion, before perfomance mods, i would protect it, then do suspension, with performance last...

protection...if you are riding on any trials at al, get a swing arm skid plate...at least .250 thick, the .190's bend way too easily and a full chassis skid plate(goes under the motor)...a-arm guards are nice, but not necessary...next is suspension

for suspension...the first thing is to get a steering stabilizer, then maybe upgrade your fornt shocks and a must is to do the gt thunder rear link with shock revalve( or buy a new aftermarket shock)...if you are racing, i woudl also do a-arms and stufff, but it don't sound like you will be racing...

then go to the performance mods...the suspension will make you faster since you will be in beter control and be able to get the power to the ground better...which will then allow you to use the performance mods better

very well said i've rode bikes without suspension and bikes with it suspension is a big improvement .....even tho i don't have the money for it