PDA

View Full Version : how tight for aarms and shocks

hotrodbelair
12-20-2005, 09:54 PM
I put on new shocks and aarms. im wondering how tight am i supposed to have them for my aarms i had them pretty tight but they were realy stiff, like i would push them down then they wouldnt come back up so i backed them off a little bit where they would move freely same with the shocks. how tight am i suppose to tighten them.

rooster300ex
12-21-2005, 08:47 AM
the bolts never really tighten the a-arms its self. the bolt just slides through the bushings so the a-arm won't come off. just tighten it until you have to start putting out on it.

TBD
12-21-2005, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by hotrodbelair
I put on new shocks and aarms. im wondering how tight am i supposed to have them for my aarms i had them pretty tight but they were realy stiff, like i would push them down then they wouldnt come back up so i backed them off a little bit where they would move freely same with the shocks. how tight am i suppose to tighten them.
If it is a quality a-arm there should be a center sleeve that goes through the bushings. If they are done correctlly you should tighten to the recomended torque specs. The bolt will tighten against the center sleeve and not the bushing. You should never have to only tighten a bolt just so much to allow the arm or shock to pivot. There should always be a center sleeve(crush sleeve) to tighten against. If you were to just tighten the mounting bolt just enough so the part will pivot then you will also have a problem with enlongating the mount hole because the bolt will be allowed to move back and forth as well.

hotrodbelair
12-21-2005, 04:27 PM
there jp aarms they didnt come with a center sleeve.

TBD
12-22-2005, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by hotrodbelair
there jp aarms they didnt come with a center sleeve.
Nice arms. So you're saying that the mounting bolt which is 10mm fits exactly in the pivot bushings that are in the arms? Can you tell me what the bushings appear to be made out of? If it was me I would have bushings and center sleeves made so you don't waste the mounts on the frame.