ported ESR intake
42.5mm straight bore FCR
HRC cam (straight up)
ported head (HVP on intake)
13.75:1 HammerHedz piston
Ron Wood exhaust
Dyna ignition - curve 1
TT111 leaded fuel (non-oxy)

Runs were stopped before 10k rpm, I'm getting ready to drive 1600 miles for a week long riding trip and didn't want to over stress the motor.

Not sure why it shows as a link instead of the image, it's a jpeg and has the img tags around it.:ermm:

kgbg
12-20-2005, 09:20 PM
Thats an AWESOME powerplant.
Good job, will you let me ride it?

Bad Habit
12-20-2005, 09:34 PM
You bet Kam. But you'll have to wait about 3 weeks for the ride.

And for some perspective, this same dyno shows a stock 06 YFZ at 33.04hp.

JOEX
12-20-2005, 09:42 PM
The graph.....

slamdak8782
12-20-2005, 11:41 PM
dang now I want a 450. who wants a 400ex?

chad502ex
12-21-2005, 06:16 AM
sweet pulls Dan. I bet that machine rocks!!

Seems like your HV porting performs real good.

what is meant by "ported" esr intake?

I love the 8-10 k range where power increases and doesn't decrease like most others do.

Very impressive combination to say the least!

:macho

Bad Habit
12-21-2005, 07:19 AM
The tube or stack that comes with the ESR airbox eliminator kit is horrible. The tube needs to make a bend and taper down to a smaller diameter. To accomplish this, they use a smaller tube and simply weld it to a larger tube at an angle. This leave a gigantic lip inside for the air to try and flow around. This lip/transition area received a good amount of "porting" to make it smoother to reduce the amount of turbulence as much as possible.

chad502ex
12-21-2005, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by Bad Habit
The tube or stack that comes with the ESR airbox eliminator kit is horrible. The tube needs to make a bend and taper down to a smaller diameter. To accomplish this, they use a smaller tube and simply weld it to a larger tube at an angle. This leave a gigantic lip inside for the air to try and flow around. This lip/transition area received a good amount of "porting" to make it smoother to reduce the amount of turbulence as much as possible.

Great info, thanks!

slamdak8782
12-21-2005, 11:43 AM
this quad was velocity ported? Do you know what percentage they took the choke point too?

chad502ex
12-27-2005, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by slamdak8782
this quad was velocity ported? Do you know what percentage they took the choke point too?

Most ppl velocity porting are going with about a 30 to 35% reduction as suggestion by MotoMan (http://www.mototuneusa.com/think_fast.htm)

I believe this is a picture of Bad Habits HVP.

Looks great and seems to really put down great numbers on the dyno (as illustrated above).

I'm not saying that BH doesn't have this right, cause apparently he does, but it really takes some fine tuning of the port shape and beginers can inadvertantly cause performance to go down instead of up if they don't get it right.

Anyway, here is a picture of his porting then I'll explain a bit more about what i mean as followup and maybe Bad Habit can comment further as discussion.

chad502ex
12-27-2005, 02:19 PM
I caution ppl that think that they can go out and buy a bunch of JB Weld to port close their intakes without consideration of the leading edge shape of the runner and upper and lower intake tract length causing adverse effects with centering the intake charge mainstream within the center of the port.

Pictured below is a CVN-76 Ronald Regan Aircraft Carrier- look at the leading edge of this monster how it slices through the water. See how the apex of the concave edge is positioned low and not centered? Ever thought that this runner edge is what controls the sit height of the ship? Now, compare the same edge in your intake port and notice the stock position of the "apex" on the runner edge is centered midway of the port. Grinding the runner apex up or down will change the height of mainstream intake charge.

Runner edge is not the only thing that controls the mainstream height- intake tract length does too. In other words, if the upper intake tract length is longer than lower intake tract length, then faster moving air exist where it's longer (low pressure) and causes the mainstream intake charge to be pulled higher in the port. If the mainstream charge is high in the port, it is less likely to be vaccuum'd into the cylinder on intake stroke. The key is to center the mainstream charge with the runner edge so that the upper tract length low pressure doesn't dominate and pull the mainstream charge upward toward the ceiling wall barrier (zero air speed).

Whats ideal is when the intake port contains a pure linear decreasing dimensional design (i.e. funnel or horn). The problem is manufactures detune the intake charge by irregular non-linear port shapes. However, using the techniques mentioned above (HVP) and with port shaping, the intake charge (the most important of the four strokes) can become completely linear over the entire rpm range. Linear is better for increase velocity on each charge particle.

Longitudinal piston movement - linear
Exhaust- mostly reverse megaphone- linear
Stock intake port shape- irregular and non-linear
so,.... why not make the entire intake linearly accelerated throughout with:
velocity stack air filter/adapter,
tapered intake tube,
taper bored carb,
and DRG porting?

Complete four-stage linearly accerated intake system from front to back!!!! :macho:

This will be my next 450R endevor called the "DRG"

Double Ridge Guided

sorry Bad Habit, not trying to steal your thunder. You did a great job on your setup. I'd even say near incredible. Just wanted to talk more in depth to the members about your HVP. Any additional input is greatly appreciated,....

Mxjunkie
12-28-2005, 01:54 AM
Awesome write up chad never thought of a boat haul design went into motors and power :p

slamdak8782
12-28-2005, 07:25 AM
I was just wondering how the jb is shaped after the choke point does it just gradually slope down to where the intake valve is. Chad how are you going to put that gradual taper to the intake bore. I think if the intake tract was rifled it could have some positive effects on HP as well. has anybody ever tried this on one of their port jobs.

chad502ex
12-28-2005, 08:22 AM
love the word choice "rifled"

It appears that the stock trx450r port shape is teardrop shape from bird-eye perspective, and oval shape from bore-sight perspective- completely non-linear

My port shape I'm trying, fingers crossed, is linear

DRG

Bad Habit
12-28-2005, 08:31 AM
That pic of the intake tract on mine is from waaay back, before it was even bolted on to the 500cc build. While the current one looks similar overall to that one, there are some changes ;) Don't want to let too many cats out of the bag, but I will say that there is not a "one size fits all" dimension as far as choke height is concerned. Each and every build with it's unique component combination will determine what that particular setup likes. I will say that the 65% that motoman recommends is not optimal for the TRX engine, in any combination IMO.

The shape of the bend at the choke point is one the most critical parts of the intake port.

chad502ex
12-28-2005, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Bad Habit
That pic of the intake tract on mine is from waaay back, before it was even bolted on to the 500cc build. While the current one looks similar overall to that one, there are some changes ;) Don't want to let too many cats out of the bag, but I will say that there is not a "one size fits all" dimension as far as choke height is concerned. Each and every build with it's unique component combination will determine what that particular setup likes. I will say that the 65% that motoman recommends is not optimal for the TRX engine, in any combination IMO.

The shape of the bend at the choke point is one the most critical parts of the intake port.

thanks for your input Dan.

I agree with you about a "magical" choke point for all builds is nearly impossible to determine. Takes a bit of finesse'.

I'm real close to mixing. I've used clay in one side of the intake port to model the flow with different valve lifts while comparing the velocity of the "pro" level porting on the other intake valve. Drastic difference between the two, IMO.