PDA

View Full Version : 450R vs YFZ

Knarf0486
12-20-2005, 02:13 PM
Ok so i know i am going to open a can of worms with this one. Im debating on selling my 400ex to get a 450 and im not sure whether to go with a YFZ or a 450R. I am a honda guy at heart but the YFZ looks o so tempting. I do mostly trail riding but am looking to become more involved with the motocoss scene. Im looking for problems with one or the other that would lead me from buying one of the other like crank bearing problems, piston ring failures, etc. Actual manufactures recalls or things that people have noticed that would cause problems that are going to be a pain in the ***. For example i know on the first year the YFZ's came out they had that problem with the decompession plug blowing out and spilling all the oil. Ive heard that the YFZ's suspension is a bit better. Let me know what you guys are finding buy riding these machines. I dont want to hear know it all's just blurting claims out, I want real finding.

Thanks

Scro
12-20-2005, 02:17 PM
You need to ride both of them and base your decision on that. That is the only sure fire way to tell which one suits you better.

I own a honda and have no complaints. People always say that honda is more reliable, but reliability only becomes an issue with the yamaha if it is not well maintained.

Knarf0486
12-20-2005, 02:25 PM
o ya and i have a set of beadlocks and new front rims for my honda with nealy new maxxis mx tires on them. that will be a factor definately.

MR.BIG
12-20-2005, 02:31 PM
Ride both and decide but I like the honda more and your beadlocks will also fit the 450r.

Mxjunkie
12-20-2005, 02:36 PM
If your tall I wouldnt really recomend a yfz, I've ridden a few and I dont like the overall feel of them. I have long legs and arms and I'm really bend over while riding one. I ride a 450r and its perfect, not bend over, the tank is nice because you can really straddle it because of the overall design. Also kick start and eletric start model is a plus forsure.

you have to go to the dealer ship, sit on both, test ride both and see which you like better.

trick250r
12-20-2005, 02:42 PM
on the YFZ you have to leave te lights on or you'll overcharge your battery.

just something i heard

watts16
12-20-2005, 02:49 PM
ya im 6'1-2 and the yfz felt small to me. the trx felt perfect

12-20-2005, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by trick250r

just something i heard

...............WRONG! Only on the 04-05s, everything is fixed for 06, plus some.

I never rode a 450r, but the way i hear it the power is smooth, and I rode a 400ex, and I wasnt impressed at all, I was actully like :huh I thought these were supposed to be fast. But thats just me, I like the "kick" the YFZ has. Its all up to you tho, you cant go wrong with any of them

bad01300ex
12-20-2005, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by trick250r

just something i heard

not OVERcharge, it WONT charge properly

but its fixed now, or you can get a risistor kit

Got nads?
12-20-2005, 06:14 PM
I have one and my brother has the other and they are so close that it really no longer a factor on whose riding what, but more so on who is the better rider. The honda I find is a little smoother, while the yamaha is snappier. Pretty much depends on what color you like. The YFZ if set up properly can be just as comfortable as the Honda and vice versa.

Knarf0486
12-20-2005, 06:19 PM
im only 5'8" so that wont be a problem for me.

JRP
12-20-2005, 06:21 PM
i say 450r! but jus ride both like everyone said and make ur decision off of that.. the yfz felt uncomfortballe to me... im 5'9"

trick250r
12-20-2005, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by bad01300ex
not OVERcharge, it WONT charge properly

but its fixed now, or you can get a risistor kit

thanks for clearing that up

thrasher_ex
12-20-2005, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by nofearrider1
...............WRONG! Only on the 04-05s, everything is fixed for 06, plus some.

I never rode a 450r, but the way i hear it the power is smooth, and I rode a 400ex, and I wasnt impressed at all, I was actully like :huh I thought these were supposed to be fast. But thats just me, I like the "kick" the YFZ has. Its all up to you tho, you cant go wrong with any of them

you arent seriously comparing a 400ex to a yfz450 are you? the ex was about the first four stroke of its kind and hasnt changed for squat since then. the yfz is brand new technology. and just because the ex is blah and nothing amazing, doesnt mean you can take that to mean the trx will be the same way. its a completely different quad.

and i dont think you should ask anybody which one to buy if they havent ridden both of them. i have, and i chose the trx. better feel, and i liked the power delivery better.

stiffy
12-20-2005, 09:43 PM
My husband had the Trx and I got the YFZ I had the YFZ for about 2 months we mostly ride at the dunes and I felt very uncomfortable on the YFZ I am 5'11" I thought the trx was a much smoother ride and more comfy it fit my body a lot better plus it's cheaper my husband got sick of me trading him at the dunes so he sold the yfz. Although the yfz beat the trx in a drag race on a dry lake bed.