PDA

View Full Version : do you need a jet kit for a k&n filter?

MoToX199
12-20-2005, 01:43 PM
i might be getting a K7n filter for x-mas for my quad and i was wondering if i need a jet kit for it and do i need toget and adapter for it? i have a 06 dvx and help would be great,thnx!

12-20-2005, 02:28 PM
i would suggest a rejet...since a K&N flows more air than stock, you are adding more air into the air/fuel muxture making it lean. it is better to be rich than lean.

lean=more air
rich=more fuel

the motor relies on some of the unurnt fuel to cool the pistn, etc...without the extra there, you could burn a hole in the piston, or other things...i am not sure if the dvx comes from the factory already rich...if it does, then you might be ok, but i would still rejet to keep that little bit of security there.

you won't really see any gain in performance with just a filter and rejet...they need a pipe to make the gains noticable

400exstud
12-20-2005, 02:43 PM
the motor relies on some of the unurnt fuel to cool the pistn, etc...without the extra there, you could burn a hole in the piston, or other things...

The main problem with a lean condition is an incomplete combustion with an excess of oxygen. Think about what 1100 degree air will do to your motor if you have it rushing through there. You need enough fuel to achieve complete combustion, however, I am not sure if just an airfilter will cause a lean condition on a Z/KFX/DVX. I know that it didn't when I first had mine.

MoToX199
12-21-2005, 04:02 AM
ok does anyone know if the z comes a lil to rich or not? also what size jet would you guys prefer to run?

emaxxjeremy
12-21-2005, 06:44 AM
if you add a k&n and open the airbox then you will need to rejet. if you add the filter only and leave the airbox sealed, you will probably be ok