PDA

View Full Version : resserected 250r need help

Melons
12-20-2005, 12:17 PM
Pulled my 88 250r from my garage, cleaned the carb and changed the plug. It fired right up and runs like a bandit. Problem is it leaks fuel from the back of the carb from the lowest overflow tube.
Doesn't do it when running only when I stop or turn it off. I have to turn fuel valve off to get it to stop. Need help.

MAybe I did something to the carb when cleaning it, also I did not see a jet needle when cleaning it. maybe thats it thanks for any info you guys might have. Sure love firing up my old quad though.

Coyoteman
12-20-2005, 12:43 PM
Sounds like you may need to replace the needle valve & seat. It's inexpensive and easy to do.

mxracer97
12-20-2005, 12:53 PM
I agree with with Coyoteman, it sounds like something is wrong with your float valve. Double check to make sure there is no debris causing the needle to not seat properly. If you hadn't run it in a while and there was something in your gas tank, it would have settled at the bottom and been sucked in your carb even though you cleaned it prior to starting it.

Melons
12-20-2005, 03:47 PM
Fixed! Pulled it apart and cleaned it out again leak stopped.
Now have another problem, when I hit higher rpms it likes to bogg till I switch gears then pulls hard till high rpm then goes flat till I switch gears again. Any ideas guys thanks

wilkin250r
12-20-2005, 04:10 PM
Sounds like you might be a little rich on the main jet. They are naturally slightly rich on the top end, and it's almost unavoidable. However, you make the problem worse, and they'll fall flat on their face at the higher revs.

Try a plug chop, see what the spark plug tells you.

Melons
12-20-2005, 04:43 PM
Might be too rich, thats kind of how it feels. But it does not have a jet needle in the main jet. Does it have to have that needle in there? If so, I will have to find one or find a new jet. But the thing idles just find and seems to run smooth. I still can't believe I got it running. I forgot all about the thing till my friends brang over 3 new suszuki dirt bikes they bought for christmas. They got them hidden in my grage so the kids do not find them. That got me lookin at my bike again. Man its great. thanks for listening.

wilkin250r
12-20-2005, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Melons
But it does not have a jet needle in the main jet. Does it have to have that needle in there? If so, I will have to find one or find a new jet.

Is this English? It looks like English, but it doesn't make any sense.

How can you not have a needle? You HAVE to have a needle. It's attached to the slide.

What kind of carb do you have?

Melons
12-20-2005, 05:32 PM
Sorry wilkins, I am not stating my situation correctly. The needle connected to the float is there and seems to be working as it should, not letting any fuel by. I was refering to the needle that I saw in my manual that has grooves in it from 1 to 5 for adjustment. I do not see where this needle is unless it is somewhere inside the carb that I have not dismantled yet. Sorry for the confusion, I have not worked on this stuff for a while so it will take me a little time to get up to speed. Thanks for your time everyone.

d33pt
12-20-2005, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Melons
Sorry wilkins, I am not stating my situation correctly. The needle connected to the float is there and seems to be working as it should, not letting any fuel by. I was refering to the needle that I saw in my manual that has grooves in it from 1 to 5 for adjustment. I do not see where this needle is unless it is somewhere inside the carb that I have not dismantled yet. Sorry for the confusion, I have not worked on this stuff for a while so it will take me a little time to get up to speed. Thanks for your time everyone.

That needle is connected to the slide and spring. When you unscrew the top of the carb. You won't see it from the bowl.

beerock
12-20-2005, 09:35 PM
my carb leaks after my bike has been sitting for a bit and i take it out and turn the gas on. usually i just tap my float bowl and it stops doing it.

Melons
12-20-2005, 09:41 PM
You mean it is that long needle attached to the metal block that slides in the middle of the carb that is attached to the throttle cable. Thanks man, Then I am not missing something. Did a search and I think I will try to gap the plug down tommorrow. Some people tried that and they said it solved the problem.