PDA

View Full Version : SHock setttings

kjfox
12-20-2005, 09:42 AM
'03 Z400 with Honda 450R front shocks and stock rear shock. Can anybody tell me what a good starting point is for preload, compression and rebound settings? For the front and rear shocks. 180lb rider, many trail riding, with minimial track riding.

What does the owners manual say about the stock settings for the rear? I do not have a owners manual.

Here is what a currently have it configured for, I have NOT had the chance to test it yet.

Front preload 3 turns out from top of shock.
Rebound 1 turn out from high.
Compression 3/4 turn out from high.

Not sure about the rear yet. Any help or comments would be appreciated.

Ridin' Jesse
12-20-2005, 03:14 PM
Wrong forum...as for doing that, there is no way to really make the stock shocks better without gettin them revalved...if u soften it to take little hits better, it will take the big ones worse, and vise versa

01-03-2006, 07:52 PM
u need to have the rear revalved to stop bucking, but this may help... set the preload w' u on the quad!! from the bottom of the frame under the footpeg ride hight should be 8"(w/ stock tires) then go 22" forword and it should be 81/4". there now your preload is set. form there set the front honda comp all out and the rebound at 1/2 way (assuming u have 04-05 shocks, the are a little stiff) as for thr rear, set the comp at 1/4 of clicks out. this is nice and soft for trail. but still may need to be adjusted. then set the rebound at 1/4 clicks in, this will stop it from swaping too much, but may feel wierd over sloww woops wile sitting. now go out riding and bring a screw driver to adjust wile u'r out there. if u ride a track u might have to adjust the com. harder to compensate for the landings. :D DON'T be afraid to make changes wile u ride to get cumfy for u. this is only a starting place!! and start off riding slow till u know what it will do:macho hope this is helpfull, good luck;)

01-03-2006, 08:03 PM
btw the h on the shocks is for hard or (SLOW) not high like u said :D oooooo and i screwed up, SORRY!! i said to set the rear rebound at 1/4 of the clicks in --- i ment to say 1/4 of the clicks out to slow it down, and the comp at 1/4 of the clicks in ( i got it backwards):D