PDA

View Full Version : old snowmobile trouble

hotrodbelair
12-19-2005, 08:11 PM
we got this 1976 johndeere liquifire and we got it running ran perfect for a minute then we went to go ride it then it quit just shut off. we check the spark no spark then the next day i went out it started right up ran fine for 30 seconds then it shut right off. my dad checked all the wiring everything was fine there the only thing we can think of is the ignition box. anybody think of anything that could be wrong with it.

2muchquad
12-19-2005, 10:13 PM
its either the ignition box(cdi) or coil.make sure the coil is securely fasted to the sparkplug wire and cap.

wheeltrax
12-20-2005, 06:39 PM
hows the carb. a dirty carb can be a pain in the *** on anything

coolex
12-20-2005, 07:26 PM
carb

hotrodbelair
12-20-2005, 07:27 PM
how could the carb have anything to do with it having any spark or not? it starts right up runs fine then it will just shut off.

bansheemorphine
12-21-2005, 03:45 PM
put a new spark plug, spark plug wire and boot and if tht doesn't help check the points

Rip_Tear
12-21-2005, 05:56 PM
umm, I'm going to say that the plug is getting too wet, try putting gas line anti freeze in the gas, and make sure it's not running too rich. Try switching the plugs, or drying and wire brush the plugs when it turns off. I use to have 3 or 4 sets of plugs because my old sleds would just need a plug change every so often (same plugs, just switch them around).

CDCHONDAS
12-21-2005, 06:24 PM
If its just not sparking thats totally different than the carb being plugged, if you cant get spark with a new plug holding it on the motor then I would have the coil tested first

malibuj
12-21-2005, 07:18 PM
If it is a spark problem, double-check all of your connections. Don't forget to check the points, and check the condition of the kill switch too. They have been known to bugger up from time to time. Also ensure all grounds are tight and connection is CLEAN!
Also check all wiring for chafing, or bald spots. Then check all wires for continuity with a multimeter or test light. Wiggle the wires around to when you are checking them. I have seen many wires that look perfect on the outside, but are broken under the insulation. This may involve cutting through the loom or electrical tape, to get at the individual wires, but it is the only way to make sure all of your wiring is 100%. Especially on a "classic" sled. It will also give you some peace of mind as to the condition of the entire electrical system if you like to go on long trips. being stranded in winter sucks. Especially up here in Canada!

malibuj

CDCHONDAS
12-21-2005, 07:24 PM
oh yeah speaking of everything be sure to check your kill switch

hotrodbelair
12-21-2005, 08:09 PM
ill check all that stuff. my dad said he checked all the wiring but ill run threw it again. got my cylinder back today for my ex so im gonna start put that thing together and get it running and out of the garage before i do anymore work on the sled.