PDA

View Full Version : What to use to prep for PC

400exstud
12-19-2005, 07:59 PM
I know I have a hotcoat hobby PC gun sitting in one of those boxes under the tree in my livingroom but I don't have anything to prep the metal with. Is there anything that I can get at a local shop that works good?

Thanks

Pappy
12-19-2005, 08:06 PM
you will need a small bench top blast cabinet atleast. they run around $75. an air supply of 75 psi will work for most small things, and a container of aluminum oxide $24

with this, and a wire wheel on a bench grinder, you can prep most anything that will fit in the blast cabinet.

400exstud
12-20-2005, 03:04 PM
I have access to all of those items but don't I need some kinds of solvents or chemicals?

12-20-2005, 03:11 PM
You can use Methy Ethyl Ketone after blasting to get rid of the greases and what not, but its not neccesary.

Pappy
12-20-2005, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by 400exstud
I have access to all of those items but don't I need some kinds of solvents or chemicals?

all metals should recieve a coat of metal prep, or any coating that will inhibit flash rust and provide a zinc phosphate coating. a number of the popular websites that sell hobby powder offer products and they should be used.

Pappy
12-20-2005, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Shee'n'400ex
You can use Methy Ethyl Ketone after blasting to get rid of the greases and what not, but its not neccesary.

yes, MEK is an excellent degreaser, but thats about it. if a part has a short service life (a arms, shifter levers, brake levers) prep past blasting is in all honesty not needed seeing the coating will wear off before rust will attack the coating and cause it to detach.(flaking, peeling)

MEK is also a potent chhemical and all care should be taken to prevent breathing the fumes and exposure to skin.