PDA

View Full Version : Lights/Kill switch not working

KRMit
12-19-2005, 12:01 PM
The mods I've done with the electrical is adding a tether kill switch by splicing into the wires and splicing the wires together from the clutch lever. I know my stock kill switch and lights were working after installing the tether but I'm not sure they still worked after replacing the clutch lever. When I replaced the clutch lever, I followed the wires down under the hood, cut, and soldered them together. I then just snipped off the connectors by the lever. The starter button is the only thing that works on that control assembly now. Any ideas what happened?

madini
12-19-2005, 01:29 PM
Sounds like you did more splicing than I did.Pingel says "just splice into your kill switch wire" as if there is nothing to it.Well thats a load of crap. I tried every combination of splicing every damn wire on the handlebars and it still doesn't work.I think you have to go to the coil and do it like a 400ex.Right now I'm pissed at that switch and I don't know if I'll even use it. When somebody on this forum can offer a SIMPLE fix I guess we will both know! Good luck!

KRMit
12-19-2005, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by madini
Sounds like you did more splicing than I did.Pingel says "just splice into your kill switch wire" as if there is nothing to it.Well thats a load of crap. I tried every combination of splicing every damn wire on the handlebars and it still doesn't work.I think you have to go to the coil and do it like a 400ex.Right now I'm pissed at that switch and I don't know if I'll even use it. When somebody on this forum can offer a SIMPLE fix I guess we will both know! Good luck! Well, there's no problem with the tether switch. I just spliced it into the wire I was told to on here and ran the other end to the ground. Everything worked right after installing that. I actually have it hooked up with bullet connectors so I can unhook it when I'm play riding.

I really think it's something I did when I connected the wires coming from the clutch lever, but I can't think of what.

QuadRacer041
12-19-2005, 05:07 PM
Well normally I wouldnt tell yea cause you have a cannondale, but since your selling it ill help you out, lol.

This is very simple, you did too much cutting and soldering.
To install the kill switch what you do is take the shorter wire on the kill switch and ground it too your frame. Take the longer wire and tap into the black wire with the white stripe on your main switch assembly. Thats it kill stwitch is done.
All you need to do to bypass the nuetral saftey switch is unplug the 2 wires(yellow with green stripe and black with white dashes) that plug into your stock clutch lever and jump them(solder them together). Anything else you did was un necassary and probably is causing your problem's.

KRMit
12-19-2005, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by QuadRacer041
Well normally I wouldnt tell yea cause you have a cannondale, but since your selling it ill help you out, lol.

This is very simple, you did too much cutting and soldering.
To install the kill switch what you do is take the shorter wire on the kill switch and ground it too your frame. Take the longer wire and tap into the black wire with the white stripe on your main switch assembly. Thats it kill stwitch is done.
All you need to do to bypass the nuetral saftey switch is unplug the 2 wires(yellow with green stripe and black with white dashes) that plug into your stock clutch lever and jump them(solder them together). Anything else you did was un necassary and probably is causing your problem's. Wanna buy a Cannondale? :D Funny you mention it. A buddy of mine offered to trade his 250r for it yesterday. I think I might take him up on it.

What you described is exactly what I did. Maybe I didn't explain it very well. Could I have blown a fuse or have a short somewhere ya think?

KRMit
12-19-2005, 06:59 PM
Well, I tinkered around with it some. The tether kill switch works fine (which I figured since there's not much to it). When I flip the kill switch on the light assembly or turn the lights on, the rear BRAKE light comes on... not the dim tail light, the bright brake light. I'm puzzled. I don't see how anything I did could cause that. The headlight won't come on no matter what. Could it be a bad light/kill switch/starter assembly?

QuadRacer041
12-20-2005, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by KRMit
Well, I tinkered around with it some. The tether kill switch works fine (which I figured since there's not much to it). When I flip the kill switch on the light assembly or turn the lights on, the rear BRAKE light comes on... not the dim tail light, the bright brake light. I'm puzzled. I don't see how anything I did could cause that. The headlight won't come on no matter what. Could it be a bad light/kill switch/starter assembly?

you mentioned that you follwed wires down under the hood and cutr and soldered them .maybe thats were you made a mistake because you didnt need to do anything down there.

KRMit
12-20-2005, 06:30 AM
you mentioned that you follwed wires down under the hood and cutr and soldered them .maybe thats were you made a mistake because you didnt need to do anything down there.
It was the two wires from the clutch lever I soldered together. I followed them down under the hood and soldered them there.

KRMit
12-22-2005, 08:05 AM
Lesson learned here. For anyone thinking about doing this, just cut and solder the wires at the clutch perch. Don't try doing it under the hood where I did. The green wire I cut under the hood apparently splits somewhere in the harness and also goes to the headlight switch assembly. So I resoldered that wire back in with the two I soldered together and everything works as it should. Oh well, as long as it works.