PDA

View Full Version : Powdercoat question

tjlong
12-19-2005, 10:32 AM
For those that have had there frames powdercoated, do you leave your bolts in the holes that are tapped so those threads don't get covered? I've heard that it's a pain to get back together if the threads get coated too.

44oEX
12-19-2005, 10:33 AM
normaly you just have to pass a bolt tap in the holes to clean them out...and it clean up any bad treads that you might have

Rip_Tear
12-19-2005, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by 44oEX
normaly you just have to pass a bolt tape in the holes to clean them out...and it clean up any bad treads that you might have

It's a tap, and usually the powder coater will tape up the holes, but it depends on the person (I believe Pappy does). But yes, any tight fit holes and threads need to be clean, so they can be tapped off or bolts in them etc.

Pappy
12-19-2005, 02:46 PM
most, and i say most coaters will handle blocking off any holes that need it, however there are some that will not or will only do it for an extra charge(i personally take care of every aspect and do everything i can to prevent powder from getting anywhere it should not be)

a few years back, i went to look at a 250r. it was all fresh from a local pc shop and i told the guy that if we assembled the quad and it was 100% complete and ran id buy it. so we dug into assembling the quad. we had to remove powder from every bolt hole and every bearing area there was on that quad:ermm: this was before i even knew what powdercoating was but it is an example of why shops should not coat something if they are not willing to prep it.

another example was an intake a fellow had done. he dropped it off and 4 weeks later picked it up. once he handed his $150(yeah $150) he proceeded home with his newly coated part only to discover they had not blocked off anything and it had to be restripped and recoated. nothing would fit, injectors, bolts nothing.

those are not the only horror stories ive heard, but they showed me what NOT to do to my customers now that i coat parts!

JRDrider22
12-19-2005, 03:10 PM
Yea my powdercoater has like blockoffs for all the threads. You shouldn't worry about it that bad. Also if you ground your teather switch to the frame, make sure you scratch off some pc, other than that you should be fine.

philsan
12-21-2005, 08:35 AM
Any quality powder coating shop serious about delivering a quality product should volunteer to fully explain what their entire process includes. ie plugging of holes, selective masking, cleaning and degreasing, media blasting, and pretreatment.

450RGNCC
12-23-2005, 06:56 PM
yeah, my guy took me into the shop and thoroughly described what was going to happen. that made me a little less weary when let my parts there.

welpracing
12-24-2005, 04:59 AM
I PC with all my bolts back in. the guys who do mine do use plugs but i found it looks very trick with matching bolts. when putting your quad back together you will just need your socket and a rubber mallet. sounds like work but i think it is worth iT!!