PDA

View Full Version : Is it common for 400ex's engine to be a little noisy?

brian400ex
06-29-2002, 05:30 PM
Mine makes a noise when i go down the road. It kind of like a tickin noise. I only notice it when i am at about 1/4 throttle. I did the valve adj. not too long ago. Is it just the nature of the beast?

maverick
06-29-2002, 07:58 PM
With the stock pipe? i kinda noticed a lil tap tap tap, but now ive got a big gun so now it say THUMP THUMP THUMP

Ex'r Marlin
06-29-2002, 10:05 PM
Fortunately with some of my friends, we have other 400's to compare noises, feel, etc. with. As for the tapping of the engine, after a valve job, I still notice a noise.... But not really a very noticeable tap tap.

Just a thought.... Could there be some sticking to cause a tapping noise??:confused:

Note: The only other noise I hear on my 400 is a kinda swirling noise... Which happens to be the oil pump working.:cool:

RED121572
07-04-2002, 04:40 PM
My valves will loosen up every 10-15 hours. (they are loose now)
...and thats all I hear...."tap tap tap tap"!!

My 400 being 2 1/2 years old with a million miles on it, it vibrates around 1/4 throttle with a few other noises thrown in.....just age.

Someone made a comment about the oil pump whinning. Ive never noticed it on mine, but my buddy just had a new oil pump installed on his warrior.....and it sounds like a Roots Supercharger was shoved in there somewhere.

hotrodhonda400
07-04-2002, 09:25 PM
Try some synthetic oil it should calm down you tapping

Punk13rym
07-04-2002, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by RED121572
My valves will loosen up every 10-15 hours. (they are loose now)
...and thats all I hear...."tap tap tap tap"!!

My 400 being 2 1/2 years old with a million miles on it, it vibrates around 1/4 throttle with a few other noises thrown in.....just age.

Someone made a comment about the oil pump whinning. Ive never noticed it on mine, but my buddy just had a new oil pump installed on his warrior.....and it sounds like a Roots Supercharger was shoved in there somewhere.

well there are both doing the same thing. an oil pump pumps oil and a turbo pumps air they would kind of sound alike. i have a Big Gun and i can hear the oil pump i think i sounds cool.