PDA

View Full Version : 2006 raptors

Alaska Racer
12-19-2005, 03:31 AM
i was just wondering but has yamaha stopped making the 660 raptors, just wondering because i noticed that there isnt a 2006 modle for them but there is for everything else???

mdidonne
12-19-2005, 05:17 AM
They make the 700 Now.

Foxracin
12-19-2005, 03:27 PM
Yep, no more 660's. 700's now.

stc416rider
12-19-2005, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Foxracin
Yep, no more 660's. 700's now.

yep and the 700 is 10 times better

Foxracin
12-19-2005, 04:50 PM
Ehhh not really. A little slow and mine will handle just as good if not better then it. lol

MadDog56
12-20-2005, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by Foxracin
Ehhh not really. A little slow and mine will handle just as good if not better then it. lol

Let's just say I wont be turning mine in for a stock 700 anytime soon... ;)

cjkranz
12-20-2005, 09:22 AM
Just curious why you think the older Raptors will handle just as good. I take it you haven't ridden one yet....As for the motor, unless you have a 686 or larger kit in your 660, it isn't even a race. The new 700R will even beat 450s with pipe/air systems on them. I'm not knocking the 660R, I have one, but they aren't near the bike the 700 is.

coryatver
12-20-2005, 09:51 AM
The 660r's motor has a lot harder hit especially with some work done to it. The new 700 is mellowed out. If you can get the suspension on the 660 worked out it will crush the 700

MadDog56
12-20-2005, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by cjkranz
Just curious why you think the older Raptors will handle just as good. I take it you haven't ridden one yet....As for the motor, unless you have a 686 or larger kit in your 660, it isn't even a race. The new 700R will even beat 450s with pipe/air systems on them. I'm not knocking the 660R, I have one, but they aren't near the bike the 700 is.

Piston size is a relatively small reason as to why the 700 is faster and quicker than the 660.

SandRaptorRandy
01-05-2006, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
The 660r's motor has a lot harder hit especially with some work done to it. The new 700 is mellowed out. If you can get the suspension on the 660 worked out it will crush the 700

I can't agree with that statement. I have had both and the 700R mod for mod will run circles around my now old and gone 05 660R
The 700R engine has way more potential and when well tuned makes plenty of arm pulling power from off idle to the end of the RPM range :cool:

250r4life
01-05-2006, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by cjkranz

the 700 may be faster than the 660, but i hate to tell ya, both the 450s are still faster than it... and any 686 raptor 660 will smoke the new 686 (700)

hskers82
01-05-2006, 09:21 PM
Yeah I would have to agree that the new 700's(686) would not have a snowballs chance in h*ll against an older 686.I was told(by a dealer) that the new raptor wasn't as fast as they originally thought it to be(I can't personally say it is or isn't,just going by their word)

SandRaptorRandy
01-06-2006, 09:56 AM
I guess I should qualify my remarks, I don't want to come of as some internet jerk talking smack, lord knows I've seen plenty of them. There's always someone faster so it doesn't really matter much to me. I just have a blast racing up the hill win or lose. A lot of people fail to realize the potential of the 700R and just discount it and say they can't run with this(insert quad here) and I think I've suprised a few people with mine. I will say this, bone stock off the show room floor I thought it was a turd as was the case with my 660R but uncorked so they can breath and well tuned and set up both the 660's and 700's will flat run;) I have run right with a CrayCraft Racing 686 up Comp hill at florence and got him by a tire the third race when I finally left with him and didn't let him get the holeshot. I've held my own with a lot of other quads that had internal mods. It' doesn't make to much sense to make blanket statments about the performance of a machine that's being compared to other machines with internal mods. I'm just suprised at how well my 700 has done against some of them I've had the oportunity to line up with.
Here's a link to a pic of my 700R I'm not trying to brag it up just want to show I'm no keyboard no-it-all that knows nothing talking smack. I bought my 700R for the sole purpose of making it a serious duner and hill shooter and nothing else. So far I have been very happy with how it has responded to the mods I've made to date. The very next thing on my list is a + 4'' swinger as I'm giving up a lot on my launch trying to keep it from going over on me :eek:
As soon as web has their cam ava I'll be doing the full meal deal to the engine and I'm confident the 700R will start making a name for itself ;)

My 700R (http://groups.msn.com/PugetSoundAreaRiders/mynewraptor700r.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=791)

250r4life
01-06-2006, 10:53 AM
yah i can appreciate the last post... im the same in that i just like to race- back when my bike was stock and i would get beat, i didnt care i just loved racing... i hope i dont come across as one of these idiots just talking meaningless crap... i come into these non-250r forums cuz 1- i just love quads period, its my passion & 2- ive got several buddies/brothers with raptors, 450rs, yfzs, etc... 3- just like being knowledgeable about all the different bikes... and 4th- to regulate on all the BS that gets thrown out. there are so many people on this sight that post BS about them smoking everybody, yada yada yada, in the 250r forums as well: you'll get 16 year old kids with like no work done to their 250rs, saying they absolutely smoke piped and cammed yfzs and raptors... it just aint happening... i like to make comments in these 4 stroke forums as an independent and unbiased 3rd party- based on my own experiences of riding them and racing against them...

and i'm not saying that the raptor 700, or any other bike for that matter can't be made to be competitive... i was surprised a couple dune trips ago, when a z400 that had some serious work done to it with a good rider, and he had his fronts at my rears... that was the 1st time ive ever had a 400 be that close... my basis and comments are made regarding what i consider "normal" upgrades- a pipe and a filter, possible removing the airbox lid and obviously jetting (or mapping) them appropriately... engine work is a whole different story, as there are a lot of people who get crappy work done as 90% of the bike shops around don't know what they are doing- they build a good name/reputation for themselves and then as soon as they can, they turn it over to young mechanics that dont know too much and they just run the shop... anyway, so a lot of people have work done that was done pretty crappy, or also that is tuned improperly so they are not getting everything they should be out of it... so, being said, in my experiences, the yfz450 is faster than the trx450r, and they are both faster than the 700... i have yet to be impressed with somebody on a 700- i'm not saying it won't happen, but everybody ive seen/raced on the 700 has gotten smoked...

hskers82
01-06-2006, 01:08 PM
I am not talking smack I am just stating a fact that with my mods(read the sig) on my 660(686 now) that there isn't a stock 700(you notice I said stock 700 because that is what the thread originally started out.Then it was changed to a stock 700 against a older 686) that will keep up with me on the track.I am sure in do time there will be all kinds of mods out for the new 700 that will make it run away and leave the older 686 but it like you said it doesn't matter how fast you are or how fast you think you are there is always someone faster.As for as people saying a stock 700 will out run a piped yfz450 or the 450r sell me some of that stuff they have been smoking because it isn't going to happen.H*ll my worked 686 has a hard time keeping up with piped 450's on the track.Just when you think you have left them in the dust it seems like they come from nowhere and pass you like you are sitting still