PDA

View Full Version : VP C12 or not to VP C12?

RED121572
06-29-2002, 05:13 PM
Ive been running C12 for a few months. I liked it with the exception of two things...its expensive and it goes stale within the matter of a few days.

I switched to what Nascar uses. Its leaded 110 octane. Its MUCH cheaper than C12. But my quad seems to run hotter with the Nascar fuel. Think of switching back to the C-12.

What race fuel do you use? Who thinks what race fuel is the best? Is C12 specifically designed to burn cooler than any other type of race fuel?

....."Need Input!"

optikid123
06-30-2002, 09:09 PM
i think the lead make it hotter

06-30-2002, 09:50 PM
dont buy excues, buy a 5gal drum, what u dont use, put it in ur lawnmower or something

ridefastrgetoff
06-30-2002, 10:21 PM
That looks like a really bad case of indigestion, you might wanna get that looked at !

FullBore52
06-30-2002, 11:51 PM
I run trick 115. Its nice and blue. Bike seems to run a little cooler with it than the Unical

RED121572
07-04-2002, 03:53 PM
Put the rest of it in my lawnmover? Its $5.25 a gallon!! LOL

Abviously, those who have responded so far, dont know anymore about race fuel than I. Although I do know this much, Leaded fuel will run a bit cooler than unleaded fuel.

07-04-2002, 04:50 PM
if your compression isnt high or your engine is stock then your just wasting your money..i use VP..sweet stuff...i love the smell.

250rmike
07-06-2002, 10:44 AM
try yo find a gas station or something that sells high oct. gas. around here there used to be a place that sold 110 for like 3.75 a gallon but i dont know what happend. when my brother used to race we would fill up 2 55 gallon drums put one in our trailer for the races and one in our shed for reserves. really sucks we sold everything know i cant find a place that sells it. there is still a place that does sell it cause my brother gets it for his car sometimes when he raises the boost on the turbo.

Woodsrider
07-06-2002, 11:27 AM
I mix trick110 with 98 pump at 50/50 in a stock motor and I CAN notice the difference. I split 5 gallons with my friend and we each get 10 gallons of mixed fuel.
If you cant use it before it goes sour ad a bit if stabilizer. It will last all summer.

ridefastrgetoff
07-06-2002, 11:51 AM
You beat me to the punch Soggy! There's a lot of companies that have Gas Stabilizers that should work in both summer / winter if you're gas sits for long periods of time without using all of it. Another suggestion, keep the gas cans, even the plastic ones, out of damp conditions and off of concrete floors; sit them on two by fours if you have to just to get them up off the floor.

yamaha1470
07-06-2002, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by ridefastrgetoff
keep the gas cans, even the plastic ones, out of damp conditions and off of concrete floors; sit them on two by fours if you have to just to get them up off the floor.

Why keep them off concrete floors?

ridefastrgetoff
07-06-2002, 09:48 PM
Concrete retains moisture during the winter months especially and the fuel has a tendency to go bad quicker than if it's kept off the floor. Possibly has something to do with condensation. Alot of fluid mfr's., not just fuel, gives instructions that it's not to be stored above or below certain temps and should never be stored directly on concrete or the ground. Maybe the mfr.'s could give a more technical answer ? Just know what we've seen over the years, especially from fuel and oil samples folks have sent in, and they both had a higher than normal reading of water content; in both cases, it was because of improper storage. If properly stored, oil should never have a readable level of moisture, at least not before it's introduced into the crankcase. I'm not sure what the actual nomimal reading would be on fuel; I know some fuels have water in them from the mfr. ( diesel fuel ) but race fuel should have much tighter quality controls on them, especially given the much higher price we pay; sometimes the water comes from the higher octane gas, it has some water from the mfr. also, but I do not know the numbers on that either; that fluctuates from mfr. to mfr. and from distributor to distributor. One of the guys mentioned having his bike in a heated basement; this would be one instance I would be leary of keeping fuel for extended periods of time if it had been sitting directly on the floor; condensation would definitely be a factor in premature degradation of that fuel. When it's extremely cold outside ( 5 degrees or colder ) and that basement is heated, it's a safe bet condensation will be a factor.

Nausty
07-07-2002, 01:49 AM
my dad was telling me that if you leave a car battery on the concrete for about 4 days the battery is trash also.

two_baaalls
07-08-2002, 07:23 AM
Also, the less air in your gas container the better. Constant temp is the key. Never leave your gas outside (including in your bike). Temp changes cause the air in your gas tank and containers to contract and expand. Cooling the air causes it to suck in fresh air along with moisture, when it gets hot it pushes the air out. A lot of the moisture get in the gas with, so every night you get more moisture in your gas. Hence less air is better.

BTW, I love my VP Red. VP makes a lot of different gases made especially for different type of racing. Leaded gas does run cooler. Unleaded gas was only created because the lead in gas destroys catalytic converters.

Check out http://www.vpracingfuels.com/

"VP RED
A great standard grade of racing fuel. Used in any high compression race engine up to 13:1, off-road racing, marine engines, motocross, karts and personal watercraft.

• Color: Red
• Lead: 4.23 Grams per gallon
• Motor Octane: 105
• Specific Gravity: .730 - .745 at 60° F"

07-08-2002, 10:24 AM
welll, if its gunna go bad, might as well use it in a lawnmower or something, ul still use it up, or a better idea, use it to start a fire, good smellin fires!!

400exRacerX
07-14-2002, 03:56 PM
If your going to store gas, store it in a metal container. Plastic gas cans destroy the fuels spunk wiithin days. I run c12 and it lasts me about 2 months. I use the 55 gallon drums.

Also leaded fuel doesnt make your motor run hotter. The lead in the gas cools the motor down and lubricates the valves.

The only downside about leaded fuels is it leaves huge carbon deposits in the motor sometimes.