PDA

View Full Version : front shocks

KansasKidd
12-18-2005, 09:27 PM
hey y'all the other day i heard you can adjust the preload on your front shocks. Is this true or is the guy bs'n me? Naturaly he couldnt remember how to do it, so i checked it out a lil bit and nothing really stood out as far as adjustments are concerned. I checked in the suspension forum and i dint see anything about it. Let me know if you know anything about this. Thanks

tater_kamik
12-20-2005, 10:51 AM
preload adjustments are made by adjusting the top nut that is against the shock

KansasKidd
12-21-2005, 10:40 AM
Are you sure about that? I looked at the shocks, and the only nut i saw at the top was the one that mounts it to the frame. I did notice that on the bottom of the shock, there are some....i dont really know what you would call them, ridges i guess, and it looks like you can twist the shock to set it on these different ridges. Does anyone have a clue what i'm talking about? thanks for any help you can provide.

MadDog56
12-21-2005, 01:45 PM
The ring and notches at the bottom is the preload adjustment. The more you compress the spring the more preload you have.

There are no rings or nuts at the top of the oem shock to adjust.

KansasKidd
12-21-2005, 03:10 PM
so are there any special tools you need to change it, or how do you go about doing it?

MadDog56
12-21-2005, 03:50 PM
You can use a spanner wrench availible from the dealership or any suspension shop or just a pair of vice grips or channel locks. It's pretty self explanitory, just turn the bottom resting plate of the spring until you reach the desired adjustment.

mdidonne
12-22-2005, 05:58 AM
i just used a set of channellocks, very simple adjustment.

tater_kamik
12-22-2005, 09:45 AM
sorry, the stockers do have the nut at the bottom, not the top, im used to my aftermarkets...

KansasKidd
12-22-2005, 10:17 AM
thats allright tater i'll let it slide this time. Just dont let it happen again. J/K....but seriously, thanks to all for the info, it is apprecieated.