PDA

View Full Version : CT350PV vs. PSI425PV

addictedtomud
12-18-2005, 08:51 PM
I am going big with my 250r and wondered which of these two motor setups would be better for me. I ride trails and some C class XC and am looking for torque and explosive power while maintaining some reliability. I am not looking for high peak HP or a pipey powerband. Anyone know of pro's and con's to each setup? I also live in Ohio and will be doing lots of hillclimbing with the R...

Thanks
Kyle

slamdak8782
12-18-2005, 10:39 PM
Atv source did a review on the 425 and it pretty much speaks for itself. The 425 has a hydraulic power valve in it. I just bought a 330 psi powervalve. They are not cheap. You'll be looking at about 3000 grand for the 425. I know a guy trying to sell a used esr 330 top end on here if your interested it is a non PV though.

gimp419
12-19-2005, 09:35 PM
I've got a CT 350 PV with about 5 or 6 races on it. I'd be willing to part with it for the right amount of money. I'll sell the complete engine or just the top end by itself. To answer your question I don't know how the PSI runs but the CT 350 is a beast, I've not had any reliability issues out of it either.

addictedtomud
12-20-2005, 05:19 AM
Slam,
I could not find the article on the 425 in ATVSource, but I did find an article on the LRD 350PV and it sounds awesome. They kept mentioning the low-end power and torque and that's what I'm after. The PSI website says it's 425 has "the powerband of a KTM 520 four-stroke" and that sounds awesome, too!

Thanks for your replies
Kyle

slamdak8782
12-20-2005, 08:23 AM
My bad I checked my history it was atv scene here is the link http://********.com/evaluations/psi-425-r.htm

addictedtomud
12-20-2005, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the link to the article...but I'm not sure I like the content! Quote from Daryl Rath:

"I would have to say a strong running 250R has more bottom end grunt, the 425 isn't really lacking any, but mid range and top end is where the 425 hauls! "

I certainly want more bottom end power than a 250cc motor, and it sounds like they had overheating problems and carburetion problems, and reliability problems. But then they say PSI has upgraded and fixed all these issues. So I'm confused...

Maybe I should stick with 350pv...

thanks
Kyle

addictedtomud
12-20-2005, 08:48 AM
Anybody out there with a PSI 425 want to comment?
Kyle

250r4life
12-20-2005, 12:47 PM
my comment is if you want low end and torque, go buy a raptor. thats why i would never go over a 310, cuz i love the r with the power set up how it is and revving high and quick, if i wanted low end torque with less top end and not being able to rev out like a 250r, i'd buy a 4 stroke and not throw in a 350...

slamdak8782
12-20-2005, 12:57 PM
Well I dont have one but I talked to a guy that used to work for them. He said that it was deceivingly fast. Also with the dial A dome set up you can adjust it to run pump gas or or full race gas. To run this set up right you need their big air carb which is shaped so that it is a 32mm on bottom and a 40mm on top end. It looks like an upside down triangle looking throuh the bore of it. They said this thing gets 75 HP when set up right so I dont think bottom end will be a problem. Also from what he said everyone from CT to Sparks has tried to buy this so they can offer it with their porting and genesis is not allowing them. Because they want the rights to it. The guy who sand cast these also does the casts for the pro-x barrels that CT does so you can bet either way you go is going to be a good outlook. Realistically ESR Sparks LRD Duncan or Trinity can all build great engines. It really comes down to preference and cost. i know the 425 uses nicasel and performance coated pistons. These are both power gaining features not to mention extra exhaust boost ports. But I think if I had unlimited funds it would come down to Duncan or Sparks.

addictedtomud
12-20-2005, 02:32 PM
250r4life,
I am not interested in a four stroke. I currently own a yfz450 and like its power spread, but it has been parked most of the time I've owned it because I prefer to ride my R. I like the sound, smell, and feel (handling & ergonomics) of the Honda TRX250r better than anything else. So I'll pass on the raptor, but thanks for the advice.

I'm sure I can get what I want out of a big-bore 2-stroke because I have owned or rode quadzillas and a CT410r, but I want more reliability. Both these quads had the power characteristics I like.

Kyle

wilkin250r
12-20-2005, 02:56 PM
Have you ever looked at the Sabertooth kit?

addictedtomud
12-20-2005, 06:14 PM
Wilkin250r,
I thought the sabertooth setup was for dunes and drag racing...no?

Kyle

wilkin250r
12-20-2005, 08:48 PM
I'm not recommending it over any of the other kits. In reality, I have no preference.

However, the last dyno graph I saw from the saberkit showed the torque strong off the bottom, and stayed constant and flat through the whole power band, which is exactly what you want to see in your torque graph.

You may very well be able to get a port and pipe combination that gives you a nice wide powerband, while still maintaining good overall power and a strong peak.

I know they can peak over 100HP. I bet if you tame that to a modest 75HP, you can get a nice broad powerband out of it.

That's the REAL beauty of these 2-strokes. Their ability to be tailored for a specific application. You might be able to tailor the sabertooth to work well for XC. It's certainly worth a phone call or two.

outlaw#9
12-22-2005, 04:39 PM
I talked to the guy from saberracing . Nice guy but what i got out of him was , this engine makes 88 hp plus . It wont run properly if toned down , forget about the airbox, the 8 plate hinson cluch i got will not hold up [needs his locker cluch] must use his pipe or engine wont run , [he dose have a in-frame unit ] and his carb 42 mm i belive . only 5200 bucks ! if i use my lower end:eek: :eek: he claims 7 to 8 bike lenghts in 300 ft agains the turd 4 strokes

I STILL WANT IT!!!!!!!

outlaw#9
12-22-2005, 04:41 PM
ohh by the way ... he also told me PSI is out of buisness

doc-bones
12-22-2005, 04:48 PM
I run a SPARKS 350 PV with a 40.5mm Keihen and I will tell you this: It has torque with massive power from bottom to top everywhere plenty of power. I am running 20" tires with 14T front and 37T rear sprockets and I will probably go to a 36T Rear. You can start easily in 3rd when drag racing. I use this motor in trails also with great results!

doc-bones
12-22-2005, 04:49 PM
This thing rips!

TheIceMan
12-22-2005, 05:04 PM
nice! :cool:

addictedtomud
12-22-2005, 08:53 PM
Nice motor, Doc...I noticed youe are running the huge Denton-style reed spacer. Do you also have the "torque-stuffer" in the exhust manifold? Also where do you get the big 40+mm carbs? Does bigger carb = more top end power = less low end power?
Thanks
Kyle

doc-bones
12-22-2005, 09:24 PM
V-force reeds, ESR sells the 40.5, yes more top end, although I have had many engine combos from 265PV LRD to CT 310 and 330 and 350, and now SPARKS 350PV. None of my other motors have the bottom end that this motor has and I ran 38-39mm Keihens on all the rest!

addictedtomud
12-23-2005, 02:19 PM
I bought a CT350pv off ebay, installed it, and just got back from riding. I am impressed! I can pull at least one taller gear everywhere (compared to stock) because of the torque. And the midrange is like nitrous! And it revs out great, too. I am pleased all the way around. Found myself cruising through the woods in 3rd or 4th gear instead of 2nd or 3rd. I am alot faster with this motor. I highly recommend CT Racing's 350 powervalve motor!!

Kyle