PDA

View Full Version : Body work and paint guys, im paintin my car

enduro400rider
12-18-2005, 07:20 PM
im gettin ready to paint my eclipse, im gonna do some body work too, im gonna loose the front bumper since its cracked im gonna put a stock 97-99 bumper on it, im gonna loose the terminator 2 wing too. probably gonna put a stock turbo wing on it. i originally planed to paint it all silver, but i ve been lookin around at eclipses on the net and i really like the black ones. i ve done some body work before but never completly changed the color of a car. is it that hard to do, i talked to a few people some say yes some say no. i know i would have to paint all the jams but is it going to be more work than its worth? let me know what you body work guys think, i have about a week to decide.

Mxjunkie
12-18-2005, 07:28 PM
black is a very hard color to do cause your body work has to be PERFECT, black shows everything.

if your new to painting I'd suggest have someone clear coat it for you because clear is like water it runs in a heart beat if it goes down to thick.

TheFontMaster
12-18-2005, 07:35 PM
You have a couple ways of going at it. The first is just strip the whole car down to the metal. Or you can just scuff down the paint thats on there now with a scuffy pad, or 400 grit wet sand paper, and just base coat right over that, no need for primer, it will save you money. What you would want to do is a combination of the 2. Since your fenders have to be re molded or something, I would strip them and primer them. I would do the same with the hood, if you just scuff down the hood there is a good chance that you will show an outline of where the flames are. I would also sand down the flames that are on the door, and spot prime that part of the door, and scuff down the rest.

Mxjunkie
12-18-2005, 07:38 PM
the hood could be done with a da sander, 220 grit.

if you still have the piece to that bumper its actually fixable, rivet it into place and blend with bondo.

TheFontMaster
12-18-2005, 07:46 PM
I wouldn't waste my time on that bumper. I'm glad your goin back to a stock bumper and getting rid of that ghastly wing. I hate ricers:D

enduro400rider
12-19-2005, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie69
the hood could be done with a da sander, 220 grit.

if you still have the piece to that bumper its actually fixable, rivet it into place and blend with bondo.

well the peice of the bumper is gone its out on the road sumware. im just going back to stock ( body wise ) roads around here a bad i already cant go down a few with out risking the undercarrige. the wing i liked it when i got it but im kinda over it now the turbo wing looks nice and clean, im goin for the clean look