PDA

View Full Version : stock preds

YFZ450Ridr
12-18-2005, 06:26 PM
just wondering how the stock power is on the preds. is the bottom end real torquey or does the power come on about mid range. my dads stock z400 is really mushy on bottom end which i cant stand, i piped mine and it took care of that.

reason i have all the questions is because im planning on moving up from my z400 in while to either a predator or a 450r. if i got one, id buy new and probablly keep it stock for a while. i could care less about top speed im looking for more low-mid power.

also, with the pred weighing a little more, does it wear you out more trying to handle it?

Bajakawi
12-19-2005, 01:25 PM
While I would have to say that there is huge difference between the Z400 & the Pred in power..there is as big or bigger difference in the way they handle. If you are riding tight woods & trails then I would say the Z400 is the better choice. But riding more open areas or XC racing then maybe the Pred is more suited. Either machine can be modified to work exceptionally well with a minimal amount of investment. The difference in power between the Z & Pred is noticeable in all the power ranges Low, Med & high. But I feel it has its biggest boost in the mid. However after piping it the low will really wake up too. I believe you should add the Raptor 700 to your list of possible purchases. That thing should have a real nice low end in stock form. The weight is not that significant between the Pred and Raptor..about 20#'s or so. But going from the Z400 to the Pred is close to 45#. I my opinion it is not a big deal. I would suggest to test ride them and make your decision that way..I did...but the 700 was not out then..I ended up with the 05 TLD Pred & I love it.

YFZ450Ridr
12-19-2005, 07:39 PM
well ive ridden then the raptor 700 and it was nice and all, but there was way to much torque on it for me. ive got some seat time on my friends piped 450r and i really like it, feels good in all the gears and handles good. i have yet to ride a predator but id like to sometime to help my decision. thanks for the help;)

jumptruck
12-20-2005, 01:51 PM
where do you ride 400 im from just on the other side of the river in wood river il i own a 05 predator le it came with a pure polaris slip on everything else is stock i like it alot i use to own a 02 raptor ill take the pred anyday not so torquey but alot quicker it seems

YFZ450Ridr
12-20-2005, 04:33 PM
i ride somtimes at st joe(flat river) but not in the winter cuz thiers no place to warm up at. mainly in the winter i ride at my cabin in leasberg MO which is right past sullivan. or my friends cabin near herman MO. i think im actually going to st joe this friday and around new years sometime with my uncle seeing as my dad cracked his rib and cant ride for a while.