PDA

View Full Version : How Does the 416 kit w/ XR cam and FCR Carb Compare to a C-Dale?????

Foxrage
06-29-2002, 11:05 AM
I really like the cannondales but really dont have the cash to buy one but its still left on the back burner for now.
I was wondering if anyone has this setup and has ran against one or rode yours and a C-Dale. My clutches (on order) are worn out bad so i really cant tell how much power my 400ex has So maybe thats why i think it doesnt have any power. What has more power or would i be better off with for my first season next year any help would be great. Thanks

maverick
06-29-2002, 01:17 PM
Which Cannondale? It might run with the cannibal but even thats doubtful...Honda shoulda made the SlowhundredEX faster :(

Cannondale is expensive huh?

RED121572
06-29-2002, 01:26 PM
Remember, that 440 Cannondale was built with the intention of being able to race it right off the showrrom floor.

That Cannondale is fast, real fast! Lets say you are gonna use a 416 kit.......scratch the XR Cam. With that XR cam, youll never achieve the top end of the Cannondale.

If I wanted to be able to hang with the Cannondale, I would go with a 13:1 440, harden rockers, a monster cam, carb, MSD, port/polish, larger valves...etc

...my 2 cts.
:D

Foxrage
06-29-2002, 01:37 PM
I have ridden a c dale. I think a TC pipe, TC cam, and TC 416 kit and an FCR Carb. will but me close enough to where after that it is just who is the better rider. But i would still like to hear from someone that has rode both.

dawzie
06-29-2002, 06:27 PM
before we put the YZF in we had a TMM built 440 stroker - that thing was fast - but we feel our cannibal with moto mapping is just as good. the YZF puts it in a class alllll by it self :D

Dave400ex
06-29-2002, 10:13 PM
NACS, I think that TC stuff would get you going Fast enough. Plus it is a lot cheaper then a C-Dale.

400exRacerX
06-29-2002, 10:43 PM
Lets put it this way, I was side by side coming out of a off camber turn at mt morris with a c-dale moto 440. We both came out of the turn kneck to kneck even. When you come out of the turn its straight up hill to a 60ft double. I came out of the turn in 3rd gear, clicked it in 4th. we were stick kneck to kneck. About half way up the hill the c-dale completely bruned my *****!!!He already cleared the double by the time I got to the face of it.

I have a 416, xr400 cam, K&N filter, tapered needle and rejetted carb, lrd complete exhuast.

The c-dale had a hmf pipe

Foxrage
06-30-2002, 08:49 AM
How much Is TC pipe, TC MX Cam, TC 416 kit, Lectron Carb?
Damn i seen a bunch of decked out 400ex i mean 20000 dollar 400ex get blown away by the c-dale moto and it was all stock. I didnt even think the rider looked that good. Is the TC stuff better than the XR cam and how much better.
Well what do you think RacerX should I get the C-dale if i can it will probly be cheapewr in the long run.

bansheeguy77
06-30-2002, 09:12 AM
the only c-dale i would get is a moto.....but id go with a trinity or ct kit they have for like 1500 trinity does atleast....u get 440 cam hardened rockers and all that stuff port and polish and a complete exhaust.....i rode a speed and their fast but they werent as fast as my banshee.....if u want speed get a shee the only way to do it.

86atc250r
06-30-2002, 12:31 PM
A lot of speculation here - as well as a lot of "This stuff is a lot better than that".

Well guys, hate to tell you, but "Better" is a very relative term. It really depends on what you're looking for. For what some people do and how their engine is built, the XR cam may be "Better" than TC's stuff. For what other people do TC's stuff may be better than the XR or some other cam.

There is no "Best" cam or "Best" setup - if there were, there would be no other choices available since it would be pointless to buy anything else.

Something to keep in mind when telling people a particular product is universally "better" than another.

Now, on to the question at hand.

It just so happens that I own a bone stock Cannibal, as well as a 400EX with an FCR 39, an XR cam, a Sparks X4 pipe, a 416 piston @ around 10.8:1, and mild porting.

The two quads are so different that it is very hard to compare them.

The Cannondale's power "feels" much stronger, is more fun to ride, and has a wider spread - it pulls decent in the bottom, stronger in the mid, and stronger yet in the top. My 400EX is all bottom and mid.

As far as which one would win a drag race? It's closer than I thought it would be, but the Cannondale comes out on top every time.

Recently I also changed cams in the 400EX. Went with GT Thunder's new cam. It's their milder cam since I didn't want to loose much of my bottom end. This new cam pulled a little of the bottom end out, but added some nice power in the mid and upper mid.

I took both quads to the drag strip (keeping in mind that the c-dale is 100% bone stock, pipe, gearing, tires, everything). I ran the 1/4 mile with both machines. The Cannondale was a tad faster at every measured point - ended up running a 15.4 (numerous times), the 400EX's best time (with 16/38 gearing) was 15.6.

One thing about the Cannondale is, if the guy riding it doesn't shift properly, it will be slower than it should be. You've really gotta be willing to let it scream to get all the power out of it. If you short shift at all, you're not as fast as you could be.

The next thing that we did was take the two quads to an ATV Rodeo competition and Flat track races.

At these events the C-Dale has a definite advantage in that with the wide power spread, you don't have to shift as often. In many cases you can leave it in one gear, where you have to shift the 400EX.

However, in the 100 yard drag races (we entered both quads in the "Open Mod" class), the 400EX took 1st place overall, the cannondale took 3rd. This was against Banshee's, Raptors, LTZ400s, 250Rs, etc... I just got good hook on the 400 and my shift points were nailed perfectly. I had a buddy riding the CD...

In the flat track, the Cannodale also has an advantage with it's great throttle response and high revving abilities. This is very noticible in the straights.

All in all, these are two completely different bikes in the way the power is delivered. The Cannondale handles well and delivers very fun to ride power. My EX gets the job done as well, but it's power is more deceiving and takes a much different riding style.

99_400EX
06-30-2002, 01:04 PM
what would be a good cam to go with that would have more mid to top end than the XR cam but not loose much low end from what the XR cam has

86atc250r
06-30-2002, 01:06 PM
I'm very happy with GT Thunder's cam that I'm currently running. Very little bottom end loss, but nice gains in the mid and top.... The price is right too, as well as no core charge.

Call Lazarus and tell him you want the same cam Gabe's got :)

Dave400ex
06-30-2002, 01:14 PM
Gabe this is what I like about XC Racing. You can have all the Motor in the world and you won`t get very far after the Holeshot. Sure when the Blazes pull up to the Line and your on a 400 I would be ready for them to be out front, but once you are in the Woods it doesn`t matter. There were 3 400ex`s keeping up with the Blaze at our Local Race and the one 400 ended up Winning. That`s why I think XC is more Chassis/Suspension and Rider.

86atc250r
06-30-2002, 01:20 PM
Yes, I have a friend that rides a basically stock 250X (with decent suspension) that does very well in our state series in the amateur class.

Your points are right on....

Foxrage
06-30-2002, 02:06 PM
Thanks Gabe it helped alot.
I plan on racing MX I know its the rider but I saw a guy that isnt that good couldnt clear a 35 foot table top when everyone else was and still won he just didnt look like a good rider one guy looked like a pro. Its alot different to see than to be the one.
I just want something that will be a good for racing without the price.
What i really want to know is will the 12000 for a moto be as good as a 20000 400ex or 20000 250r.
I love my 400ex except its hard to get the money to get the stuff i need. The moto has everything and my mom will let me pay payments on something. I honestly dont see where i can go wrong with a moto but if i can save thae hassel for my mom and just keep my 400ex and add stuff. but i dont know if after time it will let me down whne my skills get better.
I am really confused and just need to know what would be better in the long run for mx.

86atc250r
06-30-2002, 02:19 PM
It really depends on what you're looking for....

I have yet to hear from anyone that's been disappointed with a C-Dale Moto...

The advantages of the Moto are that it, bone stock, is ready to rock. That means that it's not modified to the edge of reliability like a high end R or EX would be. You're also backed by Cannondale and a Warranty. You get no warranty of any kind with a custom quad...

However, if you like to tinker with it, a custom quad is a proven way to go as well.

The Moto has proven that it can hang with the best - and it will only improve as time goes on.

Another advantage with going with the Moto is you're supporting the only company that is making killer quads available to the public straight off the showroom floor.

It's just best to size up your needs, wants, and desires - figure out what's going to serve you best, and go with it.... Also keep in mind that the availability of aftermarket accessories to customize the Moto are growing every day as well....

Foxrage
06-30-2002, 02:27 PM
Thanks Alot Gabe!!
I think i will get one the only thing as of now is shock covers, radiator shrouds, and little billet things is all ill need to get just for looks. If Nac's Can stand behind them and race them then what the **** thay have to be god enough for me.