PDA

View Full Version : How do you recover after a huge crash?

huffdaddy_400EX
12-18-2005, 01:36 PM
A buddy of mine had a huge crash about 9 weeks ago. He came up short on a double coming down nose first. He knocked himself out, broke his wrist, and seperated his shoulder. He has since recovered (physically) but he does not ride the same. He will not take any jumps or do any woops at speed. He says he is ok and is just taking it easy but I have know him for years and I know when he is lying. I think he is afraid of getting hurt again.

I know I have had some crashes myself but I usually get back on as soon as I can and ride like nothing ever happened.

Has anyone had a crash where it left them too afraid to ride again? How did you cope with it?

trict_out
12-18-2005, 01:43 PM
I think he is doing the right thing by starting back slow and working his way back to where he feels comfortable. Dont push him. When i was in middle school i had a hunting accident and ended up putting a round in my foot, i was scared to even hold a gun after that but i worked my way back slowly and now i have no fear of them. Dont worry im sure hell be up to speed in no time.:)

Honda TRX250ex
12-18-2005, 01:45 PM
yeah like the guy said above me. when people fall they are a little shaken and afraid of getting hurt again. just give him time and he will be back to hitting those jumps

12-18-2005, 01:50 PM
I broke my leg n im not fully healed yet but i think i am going to be scared of mx tracks

Since i got landed on my biggest fear will be going over blind jumps n landing on someone or wrecking n being landed on

JRDrider22
12-18-2005, 01:52 PM
Oh yea people get scared a lot. Its the natural thing. But its all part of it, it takes time for some people..others it takes nothing. A crash is a crash, good or bad. Just talk to him about it

400exr
12-18-2005, 02:05 PM
Yea, like everyone else has said it takes time. I came off a 90' double three years ago on my sled during a snowcross race and nose dived right into the landing. The sled landed on me twice. It shattered my left leg into three pieces, broke my left arm, and broke my collar bone in two places. I still to this day have never riddin on a sled again. It has affected my quad ridding also. But this year I will get a sled again and try to get back into the sport slowly. Just give him time and it will heal its self.

Mxjunkie
12-18-2005, 02:12 PM
I nose dived a double and shattered my knee and broke my tailbone, had to get surgery on mty knee back in 00 and to this day, I hate doubles :o

thrasher_ex
12-18-2005, 02:33 PM
let him do it at his own pace, dont push him. atleast hes not like my friend - no fear. not because hes brave but because hes stupid as ****. didnt make it up a hill 2 times in a row, tried the third time and cracked his case on his banshee when it rolled down lol

Quad18star
12-18-2005, 02:41 PM
I got blind sided and nearly had to have my leg amputated . I'm not fully recovered yet , but I'm selling the quad .

It shakes you up a quite a bit ... and it makes you think about what could happen or what would have happened . If I'd have been 1/2 second slower , his front tires would have nailed me in my upper chest / neck and head area . I'd probably be dead .

I'm selling my sport quad and going to 4x4s ... I can't afford to get hurt again . :ermm:

400ex28
12-18-2005, 02:41 PM
I had a pretty bad spill on the holeshot of a race, next couple weeks i was already out and riding again like nothing happend.

fastmini
12-18-2005, 03:05 PM
My son hit a jump and looped it out and landed on his back. Broke is tailbone and has a bone chip above his knuckle. I no he will be afraid to that jump but it make him quit riding. Just tell your buddy what ever he is comfortable doing to do it.

huffdaddy_400EX
12-18-2005, 03:32 PM
I know he is scared and needs to go at his pace, but I guess what I am saying is that he is different. He used to talk about quads and riding all the time. It was his passion. Now he hardly says a word about them. We went riding last weekend and he rode for only, maybe, 20 minutes. We were out for 5 hours that day. He mostly would sit by his truck, nothing else. He wouldn't even watch anyone else ride. I guess I am concerned about him. Maybe he had a harder hit to the head then we all thougth? He did have a CT scan and it was fine.

I hope everyone is right and it's only time that he will need.

seven
12-18-2005, 05:00 PM
I have had more then a few wrecks but the last one left me second guessing myself. I shattered both wrists and had to have surgery on both of them. I am back on a mx track but I dont ride the same. I am very nervous every time I go to the track and second guess myself when riding. Maybe his wreck was life altering for him as well. Only time will tell. Somtimes the fun doesnt justify the wrisk.

MXRACER86
12-18-2005, 06:21 PM
I have had over 5 concussions because of crashes! And it is starting to get scary, you can't have too many cuncussions cause you can have permenant damage done and even go into a coma! Everytime I crash it sets me back! My last concussion was about 4 months ago and I was so close to calling it quits! My family did not want anything to happen to me. But being that riding is in my blood I am still at it and plan on winning my local champoinship coming up this april!!!:macho

pastfast125
12-19-2005, 12:06 AM
i flipped on a hillclimb and it rolled on me, it wasnt real bad but I did somethin to my hip, it was busted but I dunno whats wrong with it...but anyway, I'm still afraid to do hillclimbs because of that.

wheeltrax
12-19-2005, 12:26 AM
i had a good spill last year that left me with a good concusion, fractured skull, broken collerbone, and some hearing loss in my right ear. i know when i first hopped on the quad again after that, i didnt ride the same, even to this day i still dont think i ride as hard as i once did. maybe its the fact that i dont want to go through all that again.

je450
12-19-2005, 01:16 AM
i had a nice little crash a couple years ago with a cincusion, internal bleeding in my brain, and a plate and a couple screws in my wrist. lucky for me i cant even remeber riding that night so it didnt effect me at all. your buddy will probably get back to his old self hes probably just alittle shell shocked still but he will get over it.
johnathan

bwamos
12-19-2005, 08:52 AM
I agree. Take it slow.

I had a full seperation of my shoulder on a spill in the whoop section. Ouch.

At 9 weeks he better take it easy. Even though you think he's healed.. it will take very little to rip that shoulder back apart. I'd tell him to wait till 16 weeks before he starts beating on the shoulder again.

huffdaddy_400EX
12-19-2005, 09:43 AM
I talked to his wife last night and he told her he was planning to sale his quads. When she asked him way is just said "because I don't want them anymore". She is worried about him too.

Jersey450R
12-19-2005, 10:02 AM
i crashed in the 1st turn of my first race. got 2nd to last that moto and came back in the second moto and got third and a third overall my first race day, plus a trophy :p

400grl
12-19-2005, 11:34 AM
I've had quite a few crashes.......several lately, unfortunately - and it's wierd how some will haunt you for a LONG time, and some you forget about as soon as you are healed up. Everyone is different - every crash is different - my worst one was a few years ago.......I landed sideways off a table in 5th gear pinned.....I got pummeled in that one.......and it took me about a year to get as fast as I was before that one. It just depends on how fast you get your confidence back up.....and that is something that just shouldn't be rushed........

And yes....some people just decide this sport isn't worth the risks........

bwamos
12-19-2005, 11:53 AM
There's 3 kinds of people in ATVing.

1) The guy that wrecks hard and decides, "This isn't worth getting hurt over".

2) The guy that wrecks hard and decides, "Sweet, it didn't kill me, there's nothing stopping me now!"

3) The guy that never gets out of 3rd gear.

huffdaddy_400EX
12-19-2005, 12:11 PM
I guess I'm a little bummed about it all. He is a really good guy. He started out on a Honda ATC back in the 80's. He even got me into the sport (converted me from 2 wheels). We have ridden together for many years and now he wants to quit. I feel down about that. It sorts of makes me not want to ride either (but I know I still will).

Hon300ex
12-19-2005, 02:10 PM
well heres my 2 pennies....

During the summer i rode BMX everyday. We built this trail with a bunch of jumps and i was really into it. I used to try everything and i would be the one to "test" the new jumps. I hit this big jump that I was comfortable with and while i was in the air i foot slipped off the pedal and my hand slipped off the bars. I landed sideways and i cut my chin, my shin bad, and somehow my eye lid :huh and i broke my finger. I didn't break any major bones but it was scarier then times were i did break something because i knew i was falling and couldn't do anything about it. Now when i ride its just like nah why hit that i can only get hurt. it is probably the same way with him when he saw he was going to case the jump.

I think you need to push him a little to get him back into it. dont let him be scared about things because then he will not want to ride again. talk to him about why he is selling his quads.

MXRACER86
12-19-2005, 02:26 PM
All I know is that you got to have confidence in anything your doing!

161xchonda
12-19-2005, 02:31 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by huffdaddy_400EX
[B]A buddy of mine had a huge crash about 9 weeks ago. He came up short on a double coming down nose first. He knocked himself out, broke his wrist, and seperated his shoulder. He has since recovered (physically) but he does not ride the same. He will not take any jumps or do any woops at speed. He says he is ok and is just taking it easy but I have know him for years and I know when he is lying. I think he is afraid of getting hurt again.

I know I have had some crashes myself but I usually get back on as soon as I can and ride like nothing ever happened.

Has anyone had a crash where it left them too afraid to ride again? How did you cope with it?

Almost the excact same thing happened to me a few years back. i came up short on a huge double on my kx 65. i was knocked out and had a nice concussion. it scared me to death. tell him to take it easy. just put around for a while and then go faster and faster. it took me a few years to get back into jumping. i am still a little scared to do any real big jumps that i was doing when i had my 65. the biggest thing is time.it may take him a couple months or a couple years like me. he will get back in the rhythm after a while.

huffdaddy_400EX
12-20-2005, 12:29 PM
I had a nice talk with my buddy last night. He actually does not recall the crash ( I thought he had). He said he remembered driving to the track and then being at the hospital. He thought he was in a car accident at first. This means that he is missing about 90 minutes of his life. According to him that's what scared him out of wanting to ride anymore. He has 2 little kids and is scared that the next big hit will do him in or cause major damage. It's really hard on him right now.

I feel real bad for him. I wish there was something I could do.

161xchonda
12-20-2005, 02:08 PM
the same thing happened to me. i did not know a thing. i did not know how old i was , where i was, what grade i was in or anything. scariest moment of my life.:eek2: . i only know stuff about because my parents and friends told me what happened.

SlapNutz
12-20-2005, 02:13 PM
:bandit:

Honda TRX250ex
12-20-2005, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by SlapNutz
:bandit:
:D

hondamanforlife
12-21-2005, 03:33 PM
i got in a very serious acciden on june 29 2005, i dont remember it at all, cause i had a concussion so the week after that was kind of a blur and i slept a lot. i continued to ride about 2 weeks later with out even considering my accident. then i had a doctor appointment, and he told me to get a mri because my knee hurt, well i did and just about everything that could be wrong with my knee happened to it including a torn acl. after my surgery, i was out for about a month from riding, but as soon i could ride again, my inexperienced friend got in an accident jumping a little double. he has only ridden his brand new raptor once since then,, and pretty much just road. i am not trying to say that i am invincible, i just think of it as me paying 200 a month for my quad, that i am going to get as much use out of it as possible.