PDA

View Full Version : cam chain

bada440ex
12-18-2005, 01:09 PM
how do you get a 400ex back in time i forgot to mark my timing chain when i rebuit it

DAVE14
12-18-2005, 02:58 PM
if you have the rocker cover off remove the the inspection cover bolt & big center bolt on left side of engine ,the big hole is to turn over crank the little one should give you the timing mark for (tdc)line up the marks & ontop the cam gear has like a t as far as the marks go the one line ontop should be straight up & down while the other 2 marks will be sraight across & the cam lobes should be pointing down all this should be done at tdc with your mark lined on side cover

bada440ex
12-19-2005, 06:15 PM
in that little small whole there are to lines a line with an f and a line with a t
and when you mean straight across do you mean level with the head or just level

bada440ex
12-19-2005, 06:17 PM
in that little small hole there are two lines a line with an f and a line with a t
and when you mean straight across do you mean level with the head or just level

DAVE14
12-19-2005, 07:30 PM
Ide have to take it out again to see but Im sure its the t for tdc ,just take the plug out to make sure its tdc & the cam gear lineswill be straight across with the head & the other mark in the middle of cam gear should be straight up & down & in this position the cam itself should have the lobes pointing down ,if the rocker cover is still on at tdc you should have some slack between the rockers & valves , but since you think the timing is off this might not apply ,but do what I said & it should be fine & then a rocker adjustment is done at tdc , turn the motor over manually before trying to run it to make sure theres no out of time or clearance issues a manual is worth every penny & good nsurance take your time & be sure of what your doing .

bada440ex
12-21-2005, 12:23 PM
i have the lines across and up and down at tdc and it aint working and it is really ticking me off

papasmurf660
12-21-2005, 01:41 PM
You might have to take the VALVE COVER off if you didn't set your CAM SPROCKET up right. There are alignment marks on it to make sure it is set up properly.

CDCHONDAS
12-21-2005, 06:15 PM
you to be on the T mark, also you shouldn't have your tensioner in if you do, you want the lobes of the cam facing down, set the lines with the top of the cylinder then once you get it set stick your finger or a screwdriver in the tensioner hole and hold the chain tight like that then simutaneously check all your marks again if you are still on then its good, also be sure to put the valve cover on before installing the tensioner