PDA

View Full Version : 440 Questions

xsr71x
12-17-2005, 05:34 PM
I recently purchased a 2002 EX with what I was told was a 13:1 kit with cams and oversized valves. It had an issue with Base gasket blowing out.

Tore into it today. Cylinder and Piston are shot. Valves were hitting the piston, the bottom ring was FUBAR and the cylinder is ruined.

Now for the question..

Can I re-sleeve this back to 400 keeping the cams, or should I look at an 11:1 440 kit?

DAVE14
12-17-2005, 07:27 PM
mines a12.5 to1 440 wiseco piston stock valves & an xr 400 head gasket which is supposed to be thinner than the ex gasket & have no clearance issues hitting or blowing up (do you have upgraded head studs there a must for high comp engines )or theyll pull studs & blow gaskets without them.

CDCHONDAS
12-18-2005, 08:29 PM
If you find a sleeve with the same out side dimentions as the one you take out you can resleeve it, but it will have to be 440 unless you have one custom made, was it a clearance issue with the valves or a cam timing problem? also the best head gaskets are layered steel, they will hold alot of compression

prepracing
12-18-2005, 09:45 PM
you can keep the cam in if you put it back to stock cylinder, but whatever you decide looks like you will be spending quite a bit of $$$CASH$$$ so I would go ahead and make it exactly like I want it

xsr71x
12-19-2005, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by CDCHONDAS
If you find a sleeve with the same out side dimentions as the one you take out you can resleeve it, but it will have to be 440 unless you have one custom made, was it a clearance issue with the valves or a cam timing problem? also the best head gaskets are layered steel, they will hold alot of compression

Too me it looks like bad timing or not checking clearances before assembly. I think I am going to get my gaskets from Tudors Performance, I'll probably just put a low compression 440 piston and sleeve in, and looks like I'll add a new crank and rod (checking on dealer cost for falicon) and looking at the ones on e-bay.

nakomis0
12-19-2005, 03:58 PM
Depending how bad the cylinder is maybe get it bored to a 416 426? Or just get a 440 sleeve installed. 440s are very reliable.

Drop the compression, and make sure you get stiffer valve springs. The damage done to your cylinder and piston could of been caused by pre ignition due to high compression, or you could of floated a valve cause of weak springs.

Doesn't sound like to much damage probably get er back on its feet for around $400-500