PDA

View Full Version : The new hotcam topic?

redrider9045
12-17-2005, 04:49 PM
Hey i was looking at the hotcam topic thing on the home page i was looking at the degree circle or w/e for putting in cams wat exactly does that do is it better to get one?/ i have put in cams and pistons valves and everthing on a 450 but dont know what this is thanks

F-16Guy
12-19-2005, 05:57 PM
A degree wheel is used to measure the cam's position in relation to the crank's (and piston's) position. If you buy an aftermarket cam gear that has slotted bolt holes, you can advance or retard the cam's relative position. This will alter the point at which the valves open in relation to the piston's position, but will not change the amount of time or how much they're open, that's determined by the profile of the lobes. In most cases, retarding cam timing moves the powerband toward the top end, and advancing moves it toward the low end.

wilkin250r
12-19-2005, 06:12 PM
True engine building and performance is more complex than just slapping parts together. Do you think professional engine builders like Curtis Sparks just pull some parts off a shelf, throw stuff together, and hope for the best?

The degree wheel is used to determine exactly when the valves open, and determine their exact profile. With this data, you can determine the flow characteristics of the head and what porting works best. You can design an engine to work well in a specific power range, ect ect.

sc400ex_rider
12-20-2005, 08:54 AM
F- 16 is right on the money as usual :D :) :cool: :huh ;) :blah: