PDA

View Full Version : Precision Racing Stablizer Review-Part II

Pepto_Bismol
12-17-2005, 03:27 PM
Well,

After the install, I took my quad up the side of one of the tallest mountain peaks here in the Phoenix area (review Part-I found here: http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=195264 )

It was a rally style racing trail, with large rocks, whooped out sections, and of course, one vehicle lanes up the side of steap cliffs that if you fall off...it goes straight down for a couple of hundred feet.

Prior to jumping on my quad and heading out, I set up the Stablizer per Precisions recommended settings for Desert Racing. Since it had been more than 13 years since my last visit to 4 peaks, I totally forgot the type of terrain. That was all about to come back real fast.

Getting out on the trail, I immediately noticed as I was hauling butt down the trail, the bars hardly moved. I was very pleased. But then I started to come around to the switchback sections as we moved up the mountain. Coming into one of the first 180 degree hair pin turns, I started sliding into the turn, and kept sliding...I thought I was going to fall of the cliff, I stopped sliding only 1/2 foot away from the drop off. That was enough of that (yes, it scared the crap out of me!). The problem was, I had the stablizer setting for desert style racing, which generally has very little sharp turning.

This terrain, however, was full of 90 and 180 degree turns going up switchbacks, and to make matters worse, the trail was dusted with very fine sand and rocks, making as slippery as mud.

So with the current setting, the steering was a bit heavey, and in sharp turns, the back end wanted to come around.

I then remembered the instructions setup Precision recommended for MX style racing in muddy conditions, set mine up with those ratings, and was off in less than 10 seconds.

The bike now handled excellent in the turns, boosting my confidence to increase my speed into corners. Not once did I have the handle bars jerked from my grip the entire day, and the run wa about 55 total miles up one side of the mountain, down the other to the lake (see picture below) and back again.

In fact, since the ride was so smooth (not the terrain) I thought I was just riding better than usual, so at the end of the run I purposly charged full speed into an outcropping of rocks on the trail, hitting them with only one tire to see what would happen. Nothing, the bars didn't even flinch. Needless to say, even though I will push this stablizer to the limits in future rides, I was very, very impressed. No longer did I have to man handle my quad through rock sections just to keep the line. This is one product I give an A+ rating to.

Pepto:cool:

My friend at the top of the run (notice trails down the back side, it was 18 miles to this point from where we started)

http://members.cox.net/the_big_toe/4peaks_1.jpg

The back side of the run, notice how far down the lake is in the background, that is where we went, another 15 more miles from the top!

http://members.cox.net/the_big_toe/4peaks_2.jpg

dirteater74
12-17-2005, 04:20 PM
Good review bro, I have been thinking about getting one of these and your info definetly answered some of my questions. Thanks