PDA

View Full Version : Dome pistons?

EXJay
12-17-2005, 02:34 PM
what difference will I notice with a Dome piston vs a regular stock piston?

300ex_#387
12-17-2005, 03:18 PM
Aren't the dome pistonds a higher compression piston?

400exstud
12-18-2005, 02:30 PM
The "dome" piston just makes a smaller space at the time of combustion so it has a higher compression ratio. This translates to more power. While that my sound good, you will have to run $4-5 race gas and you have to be mechanically inclined to make it work right on your first try.

ill_lil_romey
12-18-2005, 09:16 PM
Can you explain why one must be mechanically inclined to make a high compression motor work right on the first try?

44oEX
12-19-2005, 11:06 AM
yeah really :confused: ...just put the piston in...reassemble everything and your good to go..nothing hard there.

and plus you don't have to go to race gas...you can get a 11:1 and stay with pump gas....while having more power

bwamos
12-19-2005, 11:28 AM
Will have to tune a little on the jetting still. It won't make a big difference but it will make a difference.

Why? Because with a higher compression piston you are starting with a smaller space on the intake stroke. Air ie elastic.. so it's like pulling on a short rubber band compared to a long one (low compression). You're initial intake velocity will be a little higher than a lower compression would.

Probably only 1 jet size, but it's still tuning that's necessary.

You also have to make sure you're exhaust valves have appropriate clearance as the piston hits TDC at the end of the exhaust stroke, or you're engine can go clank, boom, sieze. (most HC pistons are pre-clearanced, but it's always good to double check.)

400exstud
12-19-2005, 03:37 PM
One would have to be mechanically inclined to keep it running because a high compression put a lot more pressure on everything in the engine. If you put one in and don't know what you are doing my may end up blowing multiple head gaskits. I know that you guys know what I mean. Don't pick a fight just for the sake of fighting. That goes on too much around here.

Corriection to my 1st post. You MAY have to run race gas. This is almost a certain thing with a "Dome" piston because it is usually larger than a 11:1 when referred as a dome.

Low octaine = pre-ignition = BANG.

ill_lil_romey
12-19-2005, 03:48 PM
There are many factors that would have to be taken into consideration before you can say one must be mechanically inclined to keep a high compression motor working right. I was not picking a fight, I simply wanted you to elaborate on your statement because I dissagreed, thats not picking a fight. And if he is not over 12:1 compression and under 440cc, he should have no problem with blowing gaskets. When you get very high compression and alot of displacement theres a problem with blowing gaskets. I'm not picking a fight here bro, just dont make statements that are not accurate if youre not prepared to support them.

44oEX
12-20-2005, 06:53 AM
yeah I had a 11:1 440, and never blew 1 gasket...just torque down the studs and ride...I never even checked them again.

and it's not about pikking a fight...it's about getting the guy worryed that he has to be a great mechanic to make it work...any one with a good manuel can do it...and not have any problems.