PDA

View Full Version : baking side case

tman
12-16-2005, 08:51 PM
If i heat my left side case in the oven before slipping in the crank. Can I do this with the main & other seals in the motor while it is baking in the oven? I was going for 200* for 15 min.

beerock
12-16-2005, 10:07 PM
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

when you put the case in the oven put the crank in the freezer.

I tried this a couple times but it never really worked for me I usually press the crank in

zedicus00
12-17-2005, 09:40 AM
pull the seals and do about 300 for 30 min or so... and u gotta freeze the crank a loong time. overnight works best.... also get a rubber mallet

tman
12-18-2005, 04:07 PM
Thanks guys. I heated up the case at 300 for 30 mins and froze the crank overnight. It worked AWSOME the crank slipped right in didn't even have to tap on it at all.

Rich250RRacer
12-18-2005, 05:07 PM
You already got it done, but I'll repost this anyway. Please never use a hammer or rubber mallet, too easy to knock the crank out of true.

The crank bearing should be pressed in the case, it you can't find someone to do that, then heat the case in the oven to about 250-350 degrees, this should let the bearing drop in, especially if you freeze the bearing. As far as getting the crank set in the case after the bearing is installed, freezing just the crank might do it, but if it doesn't, use a heat sink on the bearing. This means using a piece of steel stock heated up with a torch or in the oven and placing it on the inner race. This will expand just the inner race enough to drop the crank in. If you apply heat with a torch directly to the bearing you stand more of a chance heating the entire bearing and the bearing bore in the case which can cause distortion, since you are only heating one small portion of the case. I have all the tools for 250R and CR applications, but use this method when working on other models or brands, and it works very well. I use a piece of round steel stock about 1 1/2" in diameter and about 2 inches long. If you use an oven, heat it to about 500-600 degrees, or if you use a torch, until it glows faintly red. Usually the hotter the better. After you have it heated, quickly get it to the case and set it on the inner race. Let it sit for about 5-10 minutes and the crank should fall right in. Make sure you have everything close by and most importantly, when you slide the crank in make sure it's straight, the cold crank will tighten the bearing up almost immediately, and it could bind if not straight.

This method makes it easier, since you don't have to worry about handling a hot case.