PDA

View Full Version : Dead Battery - Brand New 400EX

400EXManiac
06-28-2002, 05:54 PM
Hi all,

I can't believe it. I just got my 400EX last Friday, rode it once last weekend, and my battery was dead today.

I had the filter off all week, and after I cleaned it today, put it back on the bike, stuck the key in, pushed the push-start button, but the engine didn't turn over.

The lights are very dim, and there's no sign of life otherwise.

Has anyone seen this on a new bike before, or know why it'd be dead after one week? Any chance I can recharge it? Any other suggestions?

Quadfather
06-28-2002, 07:53 PM
Wait until your dealer is closed, attach a note to the battery saying that you will be by the next morning to pick up a good one, and throw it through his largest picture window.

Don't forget to run like **** shortly thereafter.

yamaha1470
06-28-2002, 07:54 PM
did u leave the lights on or the key switch turned.

Colin400EX
06-28-2002, 09:31 PM
Heh.. I did that.. Left it in neutral with the key on for 3 weeks.. Luckily, I noticed the day before we went riding, so I put the battery on the trickle charger overnight.. seems to be fine now..

OutlawEX
06-28-2002, 10:05 PM
ya check ur key make sure it was turned off:D

400EXManiac
06-29-2002, 03:10 PM
Thanks all for the replies...however, I'm pretty positive that throwing the battery through the dealer's window won't win any points. :D

The bike definitely was turned off. In fact, after I cleaned and installed the air filter, I had to go back inside to grab the key from a drawer where I keep keys for both bikes.

The dealer I bought it from told me to bring the battery down and they would exchange it.

That's kind of a pain since they are an hour away, but better than the local dealer who said I'd have to bring my 400EX down for a thorough check of the electrical system.

I figure if it's the battery, I'm better off spending two hours to get a new one than a few days without my new 400EX.

cunderwood
07-02-2002, 02:09 PM
Hey There,

Sounds like you just got an all out lemon. Most likely the rest of the bike is toast as well. I would just sell it now and take a loss before you have any more problems.....:)

Just teasin, As we have already talked about privately, I would put a test light between your negative wire and the negative battery post and look to see if the test light lights up. If so...you have a short someplace. If NOT, then you did in fact have a bum battery to begin with.

Chris

02REDEXRIDER
07-03-2002, 06:48 PM
check the cable connections

Pappy
07-07-2002, 01:26 AM
it is possible that the dealer did not properly fill and charge your battery. the sealed agm battery in the 400 should be filled then allowed to sit with the cap off for atleast 1 hour. then it is sealed and charged. if they didnt follow this procedure the battery would never take a good starting charge and therefore would die very soon...as you found out!!

L.Vegas400
07-08-2002, 10:51 PM
while night riding last weekend my headlights would dim with aload on the engine. i got to checking and the neg. cable screw was almost all the way out. a quick turn with a pocket knife fixed it. i like night riding and cant understand why people take off the headlights. another thing i stood it strait updoing a wheelie and the tail light doesnt work now.:mad:

Pappy
07-09-2002, 09:25 AM
yeah...night riding is cool. hey...buy some 10 cent star washers and your cable problems will be over.

yellowrider
07-22-2002, 11:51 AM
when we went on a trip for a week i kept my 400ex over my unlce house so it wouldnt get stolen and i kept the key in it all week long with the neutral light on and it sstarted right up

anothing thing i noticed about a MY 400ex the wires come loose easily and also the fuse blows..

my neighbor has a 99 400ex and that things is bad !! but when he shuts it off to let it rest it a pain in the butt to restart ..

does anyone have any idea what causes this ??

also i wrecked my 400exd:(

so i am gonna be on here for a while like i used to casue my wrist hurts still oh well take it easy!

jchevy
07-22-2002, 10:45 PM
I have had my 2002 400ex for 2 weeks and my fuse has blown twice, any ideas, i dont want to take it back to the dealer if i dont have too.