PDA

View Full Version : Best Overall Performer?

Kahuna
12-15-2005, 09:41 PM
What is the best overall pipe for the 250R?
I ride in the whole rev-range, so I'm looking for something that is gonna boost the whole powerband, if possible. Thanks

Eddiesanders250
12-15-2005, 10:32 PM
FMF fatty would fit you.

slamdak8782
12-15-2005, 11:26 PM
I have hear noothing but good from ESR pipes. They have an all around pipe as well

hang1p
12-16-2005, 01:11 AM
ESR TRX 5

Eddiesanders250
12-16-2005, 10:19 AM
I have also heard good things about ESR pipes. I have an FMF pipe and it has a broad power band. Its not desingnated to a certain range of power, its an all around pipe. There was a big thread on this already. Beerock and wilkin have disgused this thuroly. I would suggest a search.

JTRtrx250r
12-16-2005, 12:02 PM
there is no best pipe! It all depends on your riding style, portwork (and who did it), and how the pipe matches the motor mods/porting. You can put a Sparks pipe on it and it might only make good power in a certain area, Same w/ any other. The builder is what makes it all work together...

Tom TRX250R
12-16-2005, 05:00 PM
The FMF Fatty pipe is a decent pipe for stock unported cylinder but I would not recommend it for ported cylinders. I owned the pipe before the porting and it worked great, but once I had the porting on it, it didn't feel like it was hitting as hard as it should. I bought the ESR TRX 6 pipe and was very pleased with its performance compared to FMF. I also tried the TRX 5 pipe that my friend has, on my cylinder and I was very pleased with it too. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either of the ESR pipes. Another good pipe choice is Paul Turner and Sparks but like Jeremy said it all depends on your riding style and what kind of power you are wanting.

Eddiesanders250
12-16-2005, 06:10 PM
Beerock showed the two dynos, The FMF fatty and the ESR trx5 pipe. They were very close. Like jeremy said if you have porting you want the pipe to match. If this is a stock cylinder no porting I would just get the Fatty......... Its also quite a bit cheaper.

beerock
12-16-2005, 07:57 PM
guys, the dyno doesnt lie, the trx5 and fmf fatty are verry similar AND BOTH PIPES WORK WELL WITH PORTING.

tom just because your bike didnt feel right with the fmf doesnt say much. honestly from what you said about your motor performing great with the esr trx6 pipe that tells me your port was for bottom to mid(am i right?) most motors ported for mid to top end perform like CRAP with the trx6 pipe. they perform VERY WELL with the fmf fatty AND trx5

when i first got my R it was fully ported and polished by B+B out of deleware with a fmf fatty pipe. I beat a esr310 with trx11 porting(bike had a full laeger protrax frame, first pro trax I ever rode- was hooked since)

I will say this, if i were to chose between pipes and I had a fmf fatty or a trx5 the only 2 pipes i would look to get depending if i wanted top end or bottom end would be CURTIS SPARKS MX AND TT. Ive had both on my 265 and the port job is meant for mid to top end but because it has a very opened port map it has the ability to work very well with either pipe, the power output just remains on the pipe.

If you talk to a pro rider they will tell you the same thing. the curtis sparks TT pipe has been used on R with the particular port job that can "handle" that pipe. theres alot of 265 R's with the tt pipe and the port work is just not enough to perform with it. so they give CSR a bad name.(when I raced in wild wood I spanked two csr 265 R's pipes and port work. so just because your getting LRD or CSR or duncan doesnt mean your getting there BEST ALL OUT port job for that particular power band. more then likely your getting a round the mill style port job for that powerband... builders dont give away all there secrets for consumers trust me.

with that said. the curtis sparks pipes are meant for fully ported cylinders. not many cylinder with port jobs fall into this category.

this may sound like I like to toot the horn of the port work my little 265 B+B motor has and its partially true but my motor was built for a cousin of B+B not for the everyday consumer these are the kind of port jobs the PRO level riders get straight from that company they work with.

sounds like a rant and it is, but most of you know it holds true about buying "ported cylinders" from the popular companies. thats why many times the little guys make better motors(untill they get bigger).

so, If you want to think about the future of your motor(getting a port job later on) go with a pipe that will enhance it later on more then RIGHT now. in the long run it will save you money. if not pick between a fmf fatty and a esr trx 5

TheIceMan
12-16-2005, 09:25 PM
..kinda off topic...but,what would you guys consider the maximum cc's before using a big bore pipe?

Kahuna
12-16-2005, 11:06 PM
Thanks for all the input guys!
Would ya'll suggest that I get a stock pipe to put on it so I can figure where I need more power? It has some sort of FMF on it now, I don't know what kind it is though.

I'm going to be doing a lot of mud riding, and MX racing, so I think I would need a Low-Mid Pipe correct? The only time I really stretch the bike out is at my grandparents fields.. Suggestions?

GOTFEAR
12-18-2005, 10:02 PM
Adjustable LRD you cant go wrong with this pipe. i tried other pipes and i keep going back two a LRD pipe its good all around. the main thing i noticed is the responce and low two mid

zawetzel13
06-01-2006, 09:18 PM
Why are u asking about a 250R? U dont even have a 250R...
Have u been smoking the Cheeba? hmmmm?