PDA

View Full Version : headlight covers.. legal?

Hondadudeehhhh
12-15-2005, 07:13 PM
I was looking at parts for my truck that are cheap but will give it a "less stock" look. I found some headlight and taillight covers and the smoke ones would look swet on my truck. I know people drive around with them and snap them off when it's time to turn the headlights on, but are they legal to have? It says for show use only but i don't want to waste money if i can't drive around with them without getting pulled over. Anyone know?

12-15-2005, 07:38 PM
My friend here in utah has them on his headlights. He has not gotten pulled over yet.

Camaroguy87132
12-15-2005, 07:56 PM
they are legal

jmc400ex02
12-16-2005, 03:52 AM
Depends on the cop....I had em on my car and got a ticket..the officer said the lights have to be visable from 100 ft away at all times...and this was in the middle of the day......now I have them on both my trucks for 3 years now with no problems at all....I have been pulled over for other things and the cops never bothered me about them....I would say go for it!!!!

coolex
12-16-2005, 07:09 AM
i was thinking about getting those 4 my jeep but was wondering how baddly it would hert my visibily? will all of the light even go threw the smoked collor from the head lights?

blasterfury7474
12-16-2005, 07:37 AM
they r legal but if you get a brighter bulb than stock it will be about the same visibility as before.

nakomis0
12-16-2005, 07:57 AM
I'm 100% positive they are not legal in michigan.

You could get them and never get pulled over, but technically they are illegal. Just like tinted windows you can go darker and not get pulled over, but if they wanna be an arse they can find a reason.

Save and get aftermarket headlights, more expensive but I think they look way cooler.

Get a bed cover for the truck or maybe some Hood scoops, tinted windows is always a must.

Warnerade
12-16-2005, 01:55 PM
i had them on my dakota...i drove through michigan atleast once a week for racing for about 2-3 months, i was even pulled over once..cop never said a word...

if you get them and need your lights...just flip on the brights. I tihnk I only took mine off once becuase it was raining realy bad outsdie in the middle of the night...

Camaroguy87132
12-16-2005, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by nakomis0
I'm 100% positive they are not legal in michigan.

You could get them and never get pulled over, but technically they are illegal. Just like tinted windows you can go darker and not get pulled over, but if they wanna be an arse they can find a reason.

Save and get aftermarket headlights, more expensive but I think they look way cooler.

Get a bed cover for the truck or maybe some Hood scoops, tinted windows is always a must.
they are definately legal in michigan, i know a lot of people who have them there, the only reason tinted windows are illegal is because you cant see people through them, and they could have a gun and a cop wouldnt know it

SRH
12-16-2005, 05:23 PM
where can i look at aftermarket headlights and grills? for ford ranger

Hondadudeehhhh
12-16-2005, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by SRH
where can i look at aftermarket headlights and grills? for ford ranger

truckperformance.com is where i normally look at parts

prepracing
12-16-2005, 07:19 PM
legal in some states not legal in others, kinda the same way some states don't have window tint laws. Better check yours out before you get taxed by a cop on a power trip :blah:

bulkdriverlp
12-16-2005, 07:54 PM
i dont recommend that jim, its a safety issue. do something else to make your truck look different. people might pull out in front of you or something. if the sun isnt out, my headlights are on. just something i believe in

MOFO
12-16-2005, 08:42 PM
Absolutely 100% ILLEGAL in PA. I should know.... I was pulled over in a friends car who had them. Made my buddy get out and pull them off.

Tommy 17
12-17-2005, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by MOFO
Absolutely 100% ILLEGAL in PA. I should know.... I was pulled over in a friends car who had them. Made my buddy get out and pull them off.

your allowed to run them in the day time all you want in pennsylvania... i have over 10 + friends that drive with them daily and the cops can't do anything during the day...

nakomis0
12-17-2005, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Camaroguy87132
they are definately legal in michigan, i know a lot of people who have them there, the only reason tinted windows are illegal is because you cant see people through them, and they could have a gun and a cop wouldnt know it

Again I'm sure they are illegal.

Just because people have them.. doesn't mean its legal.

I have my windows tinted on my truck , darker than allowed and I also have my front window tinted. All of that is illegal.. I have been pulled over half a dozen times and they have never said anything.... Does that make it legal? nope...

heres the law halfway down the page.. it says they are okj in the day not at night.

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1586_27094-73839--,00.html

Jblazin98
12-18-2005, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
your allowed to run them in the day time all you want in pennsylvania... i have over 10 + friends that drive with them daily and the cops can't do anything during the day...

They are def 100% illegal in PA...the laws here in PA are very tough regarding aftermarket parts on vehicles...Now, will you get stopped in the daytime with them on, Prob not...but if you have them on in the night time you WILL get stopped...They only bad thing i see with them is that it is a reason for you to get pulled...so if you had alittle to drink, your license is suspended or something of that nature then it is Probable cause to be stopped...but they def look good on a vehicle i used to run them all the time on my old Blazer

It is the same way with tint on cars..I have a tint meter that measures the light transparity (SP) on all windows that i slide it on...If i put it on your window and it reads less than 80% then the tint is coming off..But here it is only the front windows. You can spray paint the rear windows black if you so desire, as long as you have side mirrors..Good luck.

MOFO
12-18-2005, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
... i have over 10 + friends that drive with them daily and the cops can't do anything during the day...

that does NOT make it legal. I guess the state cop that pulled us over was lying.