PDA

View Full Version : recall on 400exs

rooster400ex
12-15-2005, 04:49 PM
What the heck is up with this?:confused: now i gotta take my brand new 400ex back to get the reverse fixed, what a pain. This takes honda down a couple noched on my list. what do you think about the situation?

underpowered
12-15-2005, 05:24 PM
every bike has its ups and downs. at least it is not like the frames on the Z's, the trannies on the first raptors, or the starter clutches on the raptors. every bike has some bugs to work out, ecspecially when it is new or changes are being made to it.

rooster400ex
12-15-2005, 05:26 PM
whats wrong with the frames on the z's i never heard about that?

jlstang351
12-15-2005, 05:48 PM
my dealership still doesnt have the "parts". Said they will call me. Sucks b/c ive only had mine for two weeks.

rooster400ex
12-15-2005, 06:41 PM
i have only had mine for a month

F-16Guy
12-15-2005, 06:45 PM
It shouldn't have reverse in the first place. Quit being lazy and use this - :muscle:

ATC350X 85
12-15-2005, 06:45 PM
What exactly are the replacing?

JR3
12-15-2005, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by rooster400ex
What the heck is up with this?:confused: now i gotta take my brand new 400ex back to get the reverse fixed, what a pain. This takes honda down a couple noched on my list. what do you think about the situation?

u should be saying the complete opposite. u should have said" that puts them up a couple of notches on my list becaus they admit they have a problem and are spendin the dough to have the dealers fix it for u. instead of not saying a word and having a lot of broken down quads and unhappy poeple."

2004exrider
12-15-2005, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by JR3
u should be saying the complete opposite. u should have said" that puts them up a couple of notches on my list becaus they admit they have a problem and are spendin the dough to have the dealers fix it for u. instead of not saying a word and having a lot of broken down quads and unhappy poeple."

Couldnt have said it better myself, i think it makes them a way better company for doing that.

Jimmy

WheelerBob
12-15-2005, 07:24 PM
I agree with Jr3 it takes alot to admit when your wrong, not to mention that honda will have to absorb an enormus expense to correct their mistake, which makes it all the more admirable that they stepped up. Alot of company's would say nothing and hope it made it through the warrantee period or just blame it on rider abuse, cudo's to honda.:D

hondajoe05
12-15-2005, 07:29 PM
mine got recalled i've rode on it for 6 months nothin wrong

good decison by honda to admit their problem

benbuilt4u
12-15-2005, 07:32 PM
heres the link

http://powersports.honda.com/the_story/press/release/?Year=2005&TargetURL=Press_Release/Press_20105.asp

trx400exxracer
12-15-2005, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by rooster400ex
whats wrong with the frames on the z's i never heard about that?

I am not sure but I think that the frames were cracking in certain areas towards the back of the frame not sure though

WheelerBob
12-15-2005, 07:52 PM
I've seen pictures of z400's with the front shock seperated from the frame mount, the top mount just ripped off.:confused:

quad2xtreme
12-16-2005, 06:55 AM
Definitely cudos to Honda for stepping up. Yamaha just let all the 2001 Raptor owners risk injury because some actuary figured out it would cost them less money this way.

/Jon

Flynbryan19
12-16-2005, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by JR3

^^^ ;)

05exrder
12-16-2005, 08:04 AM
yes but have any of u experienced this problem yet? im just wondering b4 im riding and my shifting decides to do this. but yeah hats off to honda at least u know when somethings going to happen rather than not knowing. and it is the first year for this reverse on the 400exs so u will experience some problems so dont complain and let it go in the shop for a few days. its not like ur paying for it neways

Quad Dude
12-20-2005, 04:32 PM
i wouldnt take mine in till they had the parts. but at least you didnt buy a YAM they know shist wrong and just let it break and have you pay for itto get fixed. my buddy had an 01 raptor buddy talked him into a new R and hes never looked back because of reliability.

400EXride
12-20-2005, 09:46 PM
I got my recall notice the other day and from what it said there may be a situation where the quad could drop from 1st to reverse while under way. I haven't had the problem but then again I don't spend much time in first gear. It didn't sound like an issue going from 2,3,4....ect to reverse.

I totally agree with the other post. Honda has acknowledged the problem and is taking steps to correct it. Honda is a first class company with quality products.

fitethesystom
01-12-2006, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by underpowered
every bike has its ups and downs. at least it is not like the frames on the Z's, the trannies on the first raptors, or the starter clutches on the raptors. every bike has some bugs to work out, ecspecially when it is new or changes are being made to it.

WTF you talkin about? Having your bike go from running forward to falling in reverse is a AS BAD as a BAD TRANSMISSION or STARTER CLUTCH you DINK

fitethesystom
01-12-2006, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by 400EXride
I got my recall notice the other day and from what it said there may be a situation where the quad could drop from 1st to reverse while under way. I haven't had the problem but then again I don't spend much time in first gear. It didn't sound like an issue going from 2,3,4....ect to reverse.

I totally agree with the other post. Honda has acknowledged the problem and is taking steps to correct it. Honda is a first class company with quality products.

I'm pretty sure it's the LAW to RECALL MANUFACTURER DEFECTS and YAMAHA, KAWASAKI, AND SUZUKI has done the SAME THING with all of their stuff..............

WheelerBob
01-13-2006, 04:52 AM
Not true, a friend of mine bought a 01 raptor when they first came out and the tranny went out when it was 5 months old ( still in factory warrentee) His dealer told him it was not covered because the bike was abused, They said he must have been speedshifting. Unhappy with the dealers response he contacted yamaha directly, they said they would contact the dealer, after about three weeks they told him the dealers findings stand. So he had to pay to have the tranny rebuilt, he kept the bike for about 2 years after that and to this day he has never recieved a recall notice concerning the tranny on his 01 raptor. Yamaha left him holding the bag for thier design error. Pretty crappy if you ask me. This is just my personal experience, it may just be an isolated incident, but now the guy has a 450R and no problems !!!!!:D

NCexRider
01-13-2006, 06:01 AM
I just wish my dealer would hurry up and get the parts in. The notice said they should have them by Dec. 12 and here it is a month later and still no parts. Honda advises not to ride until the work is done, but how realistic is that? Especially when it takes months to get the parts in. Anyone had failure with the reverse lever yet?

<DRS>GPF
01-13-2006, 06:15 AM
kudo's to honda, though it is an inconveinence..

kawasaki is basically denying that there's any problem with a magnesium cover (for the coolant pump i think) theyve put on 05's and 06's.. only for a little while longer though..
magnesium + aluminum + electrolyte(coolant) = galvanic corrosion.. duh...
the magnesium becomes a sacrifical metal and dissolves allowing coolant into the crankcase.. nice huh
theyll have to own up, but theyre taking their sweet time..

a dealers are backordered on parts.. some even tried to cannibalize from new ones in stock, but the damage is aready done..

ballz2thewall
01-13-2006, 07:19 AM
Not to mention that a lot of companies have other companies make the smaller parts, which would indicate no fault of Honda! I had mine done the same day I got it and it took like 20 min to do! The peice that is this problem has this collar on the end of it and once it starts to wear that's when the problems occur!

hondaboy400ex55
01-13-2006, 04:25 PM
hahaha should have got a 99-04 WITH OUT reverse way better:devil:

you all should use some of this:muscle:

fitethesystom
01-13-2006, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by NCexRider
I just wish my dealer would hurry up and get the parts in. The notice said they should have them by Dec. 12 and here it is a month later and still no parts. Honda advises not to ride until the work is done, but how realistic is that? Especially when it takes months to get the parts in. Anyone had failure with the reverse lever yet?

A-MEN........IM STILL WAITING TO GET MY ENGINE BACK & NEW PARTS, AND I'M STARTING TO GET REALLY FED UP.

WHAT COULD POSSIBLY TAKE SO LONG? IS IT LAZYNESS OF THE GUY ORDERING?

TRX400-06
01-14-2006, 01:45 AM
I hate my the dealers around here. They wont stand behind anything. I took my bike to a different dealer out in GrandView to get my recall fixed. Laziness would be my guess. Honda Yamaha North still has my blaster because it seized up because the oil squirted quit and they tried telling me that I submerged it in water and they founhd dirt in the casing. That happened in August and the only water that deep around here is the freakin MO River.

bmurray
01-15-2006, 01:06 PM
Got my 05 back from the dealer yesterday after the recall. You get a free oil change out of the deal. Just had to buy a filter. It was due for the first change anyway. All they did was add a collar to the reverse mech. This shows why Honda is number one. Way to step up Honda.:D :D :D :D :D :D

WheelerBob
01-15-2006, 01:08 PM
Nice to here it went smooth. Honda takes way better care of their customers than some other companys do. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

bmurray
01-15-2006, 01:32 PM
that's why the have such dedicated and repeat customers. This is my 7th Honda, and will always ride a Honda. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Jakeyracer
01-15-2006, 01:39 PM
For those of you talking about the Z's frame the thing on that is if u land front heavy the front shocks actuly twist the front part causing it to snap like so

I I upper front frame
^--/ /--^
oo // / / //-{shocks]
oooo // / /----{Frame]
oo oo ------------------ oo oo
oooo oooo
oo ====tires====== oo

the upper front frame snaps loose frome the lower front frame
if you can sees what i tied to show:blah: :(

Jakeyracer
01-15-2006, 01:41 PM
srry this forum site wont let me make the picture
:( :( :mad: :cuss:

NCexRider
01-19-2006, 07:12 PM
Got my recall service done today. Got the tech to show me the part, it's basically just a metal collar (spacer) that goes around the spring to keep it from vibrating side to side & working itself loose. They have to drain the oil to so the repair, so for the price of the filter I got them to change my oil also ( 2 qts are covered under warranty). Just a thought for those of you taking yours in. A $7 oil change while it's in the shop anyway is tough to beat.

troutman561
01-19-2006, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by hondaboy400ex55
hahaha should have got a 99-04 WITH OUT reverse way better:devil:

you all should use some of this:muscle:

just shut up, yea lets go out and buy a used 99-04, yea that makes sense.. i guess we are all pu**ys for having reverse and we cant ride, sux for us, ur probably an awsome rider who is so strong that i could never come close to keeping up with u while riding

xc_racer1
01-19-2006, 08:42 PM
haha doesnt it just suck to be all u p**sy's with the reverse
see u guys shoulda grown a s*ck and went with the old style

but no u guys have to think ur all cool with ur reverse
WELL IN UR EYE

NCexRider
01-19-2006, 09:07 PM
Bitter much?

bmurray
01-20-2006, 06:13 PM
haha doesnt it just suck to be all u p**sy's with the reverse
maybe you old 400, want-a-bee reverse guys, should have got a bike without electric start and then you could qualify to be "real men of genius". Hell, maybe an old 250x or even an old ATC 200x. Now this would show that you are really tough.And don't forget to ride your horse to work.

Keep pulling old 400ex guys, I got reverse!

procircuit406ex
01-21-2006, 09:28 AM
i got it but i aint gonna take it back:devil:

hauck400ex
01-21-2006, 12:12 PM
the dealership i work for had the kits before the recall was even mailed out... we have 22 in stock right now... i had mine done the day i got the notice in the mail...

quadman 05400ex
01-21-2006, 01:38 PM
iev had mine for a year and havent had a problem think i should have it checkt out