PDA

View Full Version : Brake in questions????

raptor88
12-15-2005, 04:40 PM
Well my new 450r will be rolling in soon, I just have a couple simple questions befor I get it.

1. What is the proper way to breakin a new 450r, any time then shut off, half throtle?? what :confused: :confused:

2. What is the proper velve clearence and how to adjust them, I think I have to use shims, its a little different then my raptor??

What is the clearence, for the exhaust, and intake. and what or where do I get the shims??
:confused: :confused:

3. What kind of oil is the best to run, price doesnt matter. how often should I change it during brake in time???? And after brake in how often??

4. will I need to run 93 all the time, during brake in or does it matter???

I am trying to get everything perfect, so I dont have any problems when it arrives at the dealer?? So anything will help

Thanks to all :blah: :D :D :D :D

12-16-2005, 07:49 AM
Here is how to break it in.
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
I changed the oil after 30 min of riding. Then I changed it again at the end of the day. Both sides engine and transmission. Some people think it's over kill but, I change my oil every time I ride, engine and transmission. I change the filter every other time I change the oil. Always use premium gas.

bwamos
12-16-2005, 09:18 AM
Warm it up, then ride it like you stole it.. lol.

Johnny B
12-16-2005, 09:43 AM
the exhaust valve clearence is .011 and the intake is .006 Plus or minus one thousanth on both

DirtDevilBT
12-16-2005, 03:38 PM
Everyone has a different idea of break in. I would go easy on it for half a tank of gas. Never cruise at steady rpm, alway fluctuating rpm and go up and down the gears. After half a tank spank everyone that told you to open her up during break in.

For everything else buy a manual and read it like it was ur bible. Teach urself. Shims can be bought as a kit or bought seperately at a dealership. Oil is whatever you want or want to listen to from ppl here, nobodies the same. Just break it in with the oil that's in there, go through the tank of gas, then change both oils.

12-16-2005, 05:14 PM
dont be a cheap bastad.....USE 93 octane!

speeddemon105
12-16-2005, 09:32 PM
Don't ride all out at first. Just take it sensible, not much WOT time. Don't ride it for too long at once. Let it cool, then get back on it. Change the oil after a couple tanks of gas, then you're set.

Anybody who trusts mototuneusa is stupid. End of story.
There are more things to think about than worrying about your rings seating. When the engine is new, everything is breaking in. There is a ton of metal in the oil, and riding it all out will just wear things out faster. The rings will seat, too many engines around the world have been broken in easy, and have had perfect compression. If you go all out while its breaking in, you will just wear the rings down more than necessary. I just put new pistons in, and broke it in easy. And with the domes in my head it would not be possible to get any more compression than I have now.

The potential problems you could have from a rough breakin aren't going to appear right away. It will take time for them to appear. Thats why people don't think about it when stuff breaks. "It was so long ago when I broke in the motor, that can't be the reason Im having problems now, it ran fine until now." Of course it did, it always runs fine until it breaks. Thats the definition of breaking, when it stops running fine.

fitethesystom
01-09-2006, 05:23 PM
Does ANYONE object to the methods above????????

4ABURN
01-09-2006, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by fitethesystom
Does ANYONE object to the methods above????????

NO I agree with the method above (there is more important parts in a motor than the rings.) heat cycles are important,verying the RPMS are also important,So is not getting the engine very (to)hot on the first ride.!!!!!!! ITS ALWAYS good to run in anything that moves easily first ,then you can beat the hell out of it. IMO:D :D

After spending that much money that how I would break it in.:)