PDA

View Full Version : Fuel economy question/poll

250Renvy
12-15-2005, 03:17 PM
I was just wondering how far/long people can ride on their 250R's. When I ride on longer trails I always find I'm filling up 2 to 3 x as much as four strokes.

With the price of the newer 4's and the cost of gas/oil it's tempting to cross over.

So let me know how long you can go/tank and the stats of your bike cause I'm pretty sure the big bores chug the stuff.

Info that would be helpful

Bore: Close to 260
Carb size: 38mm
Tank size: standard
Distance/time: Running hard - 2 hours give or take/ very light/slow - 3
Octane: 94

I've heard powervalves are supposed to be better for fuel economy but I've never heard of anyone running pump gas on them.

wilkin250r
12-15-2005, 03:54 PM
I get crap for fuel economy, but I think it has more to do with my riding style than my engine style. I'm always on the gas, WOT, spinning my wheels.

When I go out, I fill up easily three times as often as my girlfriend on her 400EX. However, when I was riding a 250X, I was along with another 250X and a 400EX. Even with the smaller motor, I was still going through twice the fuel of anybody else.

250r4life
12-15-2005, 04:11 PM
ive got a 265 pv that ive had some additional port and polish on, with a 36pwk, and its been interesting cuz im doing a lot better on gas now than i did when i was stock. i too am on the gas constantly, but its nice cuz i have been using more gas than my 4 stroke buddies, but not as much more. i probably used to use about 2x as much, but now i'm probably only 1.33x or 1.5x more than the 4 strokes.

deathman53
12-15-2005, 04:17 PM
I get bad mileage in my bikes too, excpet my xr250r and 200x, my 200x, I can ride it for 2 days and still not be on empty. my quad and 2 strokes eat the gas, and NO powervalves aren't any better on gas. My atc250r, it seams as I am constantly puttting more gas in(in all fairness, it has a 1.2 gallon gas tank, it has a shortrack kit). With a 4 gallon tank on my atc250r w/ a stock cylinder mildly modded, i could ride for awhile and not be near reserve(on trails), but on open fire roads the gas goes quick. My trx250r litterly ate gas, a 4 gallon tank was a must, I would go riding with my friends, we got to a pit(30 minute ride) and I couldn't ride that much and I'd return to my truck almost on reserve w/ the stock tank. the 4 gallon tank solved that problem.

Mean250r
12-15-2005, 04:58 PM
when i 1st got my bike my bike ran soooo ****ty i would go trough a tank within like a hour at the most..... but now my bike is bored to a 295 and the motor was fully rebuilt and it runs great and a tank lasts me a longgggg time......i have a 38 MM ccarb, stock sized tank, and run on 112 octane fuel

Rich250RRacer
12-15-2005, 10:21 PM
I sure somebody here will bash my engine combo, but it works for me. Plus the setup was recommended by Bud Fischer himself for a strong running harescrambles/XC motor. .050 over 86 cylinder, porting that is extremely radical to say the least (something you might find in a TT quad rather than an XC racer). Long rod 2mm stroker with 86 piston and spacer, STOCK pipe and FMF silencer, original 34mm carb jetted to accept mods, cool head with 20cc dome. All of this has produced an unbelievably smooth power delivery that is very fuel friendly, and has enough power to put me in the top 5 of the GNCC Vet class over the past 8 seasons. With this combo and a 3.6 gallon IMS tank, I run an entire GNCC race, between 40 and 50 miles, and NEVER refuel.

Eddiesanders250
12-15-2005, 10:35 PM
That is an interesting setup. Why are you using the stock pipe? :)

hang1p
12-16-2005, 01:19 AM
I'll trade the fuel economy, for that 4-arm pump you get from riding a 2 stroke over a 4-stroke any day

kyex40047
12-16-2005, 11:10 AM
When I was running a stock carb, i would be lucky to get 2 hrs, in a xc out of a 4 gallon tank. Then I bought a 39 flat slide and had to mess with the jeting and it not only ran 10 times better, but i can now go3 hrs and i ride the piss out it. I have an almost stock motor, its bored .75 over, and a trax 6 pipe, no porting, I even have a stock head.

JTRtrx250r
12-16-2005, 11:59 AM
I get decent milage for the most part. Riding style and conditions have alot to do w/ it. My buddy constantly loses gas out his over-flo and he definitly has to fill up before I do, could be a float level thing maybe, but Im an off/on type rider, either just putting or WFO

Another thing I noticed...

When I went from a stocker to Mik38mm... I not only gained power all around, my gas milage actually got a quite a bit better.... go figure:confused:

Rich250RRacer
12-16-2005, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Eddiesanders250
That is an interesting setup. Why are you using the stock pipe? :)

With the porting and the carb combo, it makes for a extremely smooth powerband, almost like a four stroke. No arm-yanking surge that might just plow you into a tree. I consulted a couple of our local builders (Bud Fischer and Mark Baldwin), and both said the same thing, the stock pipe is very under rated. Baldwin told me he actually played around with cutting a stock pipe open and removing the sound deadening material thats inside and makes it perform even better. The main reason I run the stock pipe is the fuel economy. Like I said earlier, my quad can go a full GNCC without refueling, saving sometimes 30 seconds or more, and preventing some seriously hot balls if somebody spills it on me. The quad pulls surprisingly good with the pipe and I don't give up too much to the 450's unless it's a very long field section where I would hit 6th gear. If I'm going up against another 250R with the Paul Turner type 6 pipe (their woods pipe), which alot of GNCC guys run, I'll smoke them in the open sections. :D I've done pretty good with it, a bunch of seconds and thirds, and a win at the Ironman in '02.

JTRtrx250r
12-16-2005, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Rich250RRacer
With the porting and the carb combo, it makes for a extremely smooth powerband, almost like a four stroke. No arm-yanking surge that might just plow you into a tree. I consulted a couple of our local builders (Bud Fischer and Mark Baldwin), and both said the same thing, the stock pipe is very under rated. Baldwin told me he actually played around with cutting a stock pipe open and removing the sound deadening material thats inside and makes it perform even better. The main reason I run the stock pipe is the fuel economy. Like I said earlier, my quad can go a full GNCC without refueling, saving sometimes 30 seconds or more, and preventing some seriously hot balls if somebody spills it on me. The quad pulls surprisingly good with the pipe and I don't give up too much to the 450's unless it's a very long field section where I would hit 6th gear. If I'm going up against another 250R with the Paul Turner type 6 pipe (their woods pipe), which alot of GNCC guys run, I'll smoke them in the open sections. :D I've done pretty good with it, a bunch of seconds and thirds, and a win at the Ironman in '02. whatcha runnin' for a silencer w/ the stock pipe?... just curious

Tom TRX250R
12-16-2005, 04:52 PM
Jeremy, he stated he used an FMF silencer in his first post.

JTRtrx250r
12-16-2005, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Tom TRX250R
Jeremy, he stated he used an FMF silencer in his first post. LOL... thats what I get for not reading up^:p :o :rolleyes: :D

;)

beerock
12-16-2005, 08:35 PM
well, my buddies were running big bores and I had my lil 265 I was burning more gas then them. that because you dont have to run the big bores as hard for the same speed. BUT if you run the big bores hard like a 265 they will suck a tank down faster then you can blink an eye.