PDA

View Full Version : Removing a-arms from spindles

SUPER_DAVE
12-15-2005, 12:32 PM
Ok guys I'm trying to get my A-arms off of my spindles. How can I do this? I do not have a pickle fork, so any other ideas? If I had a mini Pitman arm puller it would work perfect...

Honda
12-15-2005, 01:13 PM
I used an orange rubber mallet from snap-on. If you use a hammer, it will damage the soft metal on the spindle, if you use a pickel fork it will damage the boots.

Just use a hard plastic hammer, with the beads inside, smack the spindle right where the ball joint goes through, give it a good smack, and follow through with the force, it may take a few blows, but it should pop.

Hope this helps!

rob-u/21
12-15-2005, 01:21 PM
motion pro makes a tool just for that.

SUPER_DAVE
12-15-2005, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Honda
I used an orange rubber mallet from snap-on. If you use a hammer, it will damage the soft metal on the spindle, if you use a pickel fork it will damage the boots.

Just use a hard plastic hammer, with the beads inside, smack the spindle right where the ball joint goes through, give it a good smack, and follow through with the force, it may take a few blows, but it should pop.

Hope this helps!

So your saying to just hit the spindle and from the inside? Also as far as plastic hammers go, all I have is a large rubber one.

TBD
12-15-2005, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by SUPER_DAVE
So your saying to just hit the spindle and from the inside? Also as far as plastic hammers go, all I have is a large rubber one.
The hammer he is talking about is called a dead blow. The BB's inside will give it more force when you hit it. The normal ruber mallets will not do it because it will try to absorb the blow. The motion pro tool is the way to go. What you need to do if you're going to use a hammer is hit the side of the spindle directly next to where the tappered pin from the ball joint goes into the spindle.

SUPER_DAVE
12-15-2005, 10:07 PM
No one has any tips or anything on these aggervating little things?? :grr:

300exOH
12-15-2005, 10:32 PM
Here's the method I used to remove the balljoints on my 300ex:

You can use different size sockets(longer and shorter ones) to get the job done.

2 sockets, one long and one short and a 15-17mm ?wrench

I usually loosen the nuts till they are flush with the thread end then I put the socket in between and untighten the top or the bottom nut, and repeat for the other ball joint which is still stuck.(the second ball joint usually needs the longer socket to pop the 2nd one out)

when you do this, its a gamble on which ball joint will pop out, not that it matters.

If you hit the spindle and the ball joint pops out you run the risk of bending in the hole were the ball joints goes in.

slamdak8782
12-15-2005, 11:38 PM
You can get these unstuck easily by having one person pry on the arm then as they are prying whack the spindle where the ball joint goes through with a hammer works everytime some of the time.

mad440
12-17-2005, 03:41 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13490 its in the frequently asked questions in the general forum

SUPER_DAVE
12-17-2005, 05:10 PM
Well I tried the socket methed, but used something stronger and I cut it to fit, but I had no luck. All that did was screw up the castle nut threads. :rolleyes: As soon as I can find where my little propane torch is I'm going to heat it them up and give a few good wacks. :devil:

Thanks for the link.

4StrokinJay
12-17-2005, 05:35 PM
The guy that said hit it with a hammer wasn't kidding....hit it with a dead blow hammer 3 or 4 times hard and it will pop.

Cody_300ex
12-17-2005, 06:12 PM
Pickle fork is deffinatly the best way.

rob-u/21
12-17-2005, 08:20 PM
http://www.motionpro.com/images/atvjointseparator.gif

Forget about the mallets, and pickle forks and hamering and all of that other stuff. Just go out and buy one of these from motion pro and you will save a lot of time, you will not scratch or mess up your spindles. It is very easy and effortless doing it this way. It will be money well spent.

rooster300ex
12-18-2005, 01:32 PM
I used a pickle fork. go buy one.

slamdak8782
12-18-2005, 04:43 PM
I hope you got this off by now if I was there it would be off in ten seconds. dont be scared pry up on it and hit the spindle with a metal not a dead blow hammer and it will come loose.

01 400EXer
12-20-2005, 11:44 AM
Do waht 300exOH said. I used this method and it is the safest does not damage anything.

CannondaleRider
12-20-2005, 01:37 PM
For the people saying to go with a pickle fork.....that is a bad idea.

It will mess up the rubber boots on your balljoints.....boots with holes = dust, dirt, mud, and water entering balljoint = extreme wear on balljoints = possibly popping out if not taken care of = Bad news for your bike and body.:ermm:

yamablaster24
12-20-2005, 08:58 PM
I put the castlnut a little over flush with thread and hit it with a hammer. Came out in 3 blows on average. not hard at all

Cody_300ex
12-20-2005, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by CannondaleRider
For the people saying to go with a pickle fork.....that is a bad idea.

It will mess up the rubber boots on your balljoints.....boots with holes = dust, dirt, mud, and water entering balljoint = extreme wear on balljoints = possibly popping out if not taken care of = Bad news for your bike and body.:ermm:

Didnt mess mine up?:confused:

SethSPST
12-21-2005, 06:18 AM
Pull your castle nut off and turn it around, so the flat side is what you're hitting.

12-21-2005, 08:19 AM
I have found that wacking on the side of the spindle where the balljoint goes throu the spindle shock out the ball joint.

try it. Give it a good wack with a good size regular hammer on the side of the spindle where the balljoint goes throu. more times than not it pops out for me.